PDA

View Full Version : Duane to redshirt

Markedman
12-27-2013, 11:22 AM
As IWB predicted on the premium board last week
MarquetteMBB ‏@MarquetteMBB 43s
#mubb guard Duane Wilson to redshirt in 2013-14. Freshman yet to play for MU after preseason leg injury.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-27-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm glad to hear this. Rushing back could have been detrimental in the long run. I always felt like Junior rushed it and that it was the wrong decision. Glad they took their time and didn't rush a decision as that could have been bad for all involved.

Markedman
12-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Agree…..why burn a year when at best you are going to be a spot player?

As a 5th year senior …he could be a great player…even if he is just a good player it is the right move.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Even if he's an average or below-average player I think it's a good move. I don't expect that, but plenty of disappointing freshmen become incredibly valuable contributors as seniors simply because they know the system and learn how to give the best with what they have. As much as there are gripes about Derrick and Jake's ceilings, both are valuable contributors to this team because they know what they need to do. Other guys like Dwight Burke, Ousmane Barro, Chris Otule, David Cubillan, and Dan Fitzgerald have been valuable role players despite not being superstar recruits because they learned their value to the team and where they could contribute.

Again, I don't expect that to be Duane, but if it is, it's not the worst thing in the world.

GOMU1104
12-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Here's a rules question for maybe IWB or Sultan...

Is there a date that you have to declare your redshirt by? If not, why declare it?

You can still burn it any time. Couldn't they just wait and try to get healthy and if he doesn't play all year *then* call it a redshirt year?

Nukem2
12-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Here's a rules question for maybe IWB or Sultan...

Is there a date that you have to declare your redshirt by? If not, why declare it?

You can still burn it any time. Couldn't they just wait and try to get healthy and if he doesn't play all year *then* call it a redshirt year?

That's kind of a circular statement...?

Nukem2
12-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Good decision by Duane. Would be realy hard to get back in the flow at this point.

Markedman
12-27-2013, 01:16 PM
There is no date. They could do that but I think mentally a player wants to know the plan. He can declare a redshirt and take it off at anytime as well. Clearly the family and Buzz discussed this and agreed that the redshirt was in Duane's long term best interest.

At least now Duane isn't coming to each game wondering/hoping to get in for a few minutes.

An added benefit is Buzz doesn't have to answer questions anymore such as "When is Duane going to play? What is Duane's status?" etc....

TheSultan
12-27-2013, 02:29 PM
There is no date. They could do that but I think mentally a player wants to know the plan. He can declare a redshirt and take it off at anytime as well. Clearly the family and Buzz discussed this and agreed that the redshirt was in Duane's long term best interest.

At least now Duane isn't coming to each game wondering/hoping to get in for a few minutes.

An added benefit is Buzz doesn't have to answer questions anymore such as "When is Duane going to play? What is Duane's status?" etc....

Furthermore, Buzz how has a solid answer as to his rotation for the rest of the year.

Goose85
12-28-2013, 11:19 AM
By deciding to redshirt now, there is no need to try and rush back from his injury. Make sure he is 100% with no pressure of trying to catch up only to see a few minutes of playing time as I am sure he is behind on the learning curve.