PDA

View Full Version : Buzz's Starting Five & the First 4 Minutes

bleedbluegold03
12-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Buzz has gone on record that his starters are determined by who brings consistency and effort every day in practice. This had led to a starting five that only has one of this team's top five talented players by Buzz's own opinions. Looking at our 5 losses to date, many have commented that this mindset has led to slow starts to both halves and ultimately us playing catch up for the remaining 32 minutes of action.

In all of our losses, Marquette only came out ahead once in the 1st half's 4 minutes (OSU +1) and once in the 2nd half's 4 minutes (ASU +8). In total, we've averaged -3.4 points in the first half and -3 points to start the second half. Losing to ASU by 2, UW by 6, NM by 7, and SDSU by 8, 6 points is literally all the difference.

Simply put, this line up is not effective and does not provide Marquette with the best chance for victory. I'd hope that he bends on this thought process sooner than later, as this team is very much on the edge of the tourney as TBW, and each 4 minute block counts.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Great stuff bleed. I think many of us were thinking this, but these numbers prove it. Now that doesnt necessarily guarantee that if we make changes the numbers will be any better, but we are roughly half way through the season so you would think if he's going to make an adjustment regarding this it would be done relatively soon. At least that's what I'm hoping.

kneelb4zerg
12-22-2013, 08:51 PM
I can understand the logic but I do think you need to look at the overall minute distribution, not just the first four minutes. Because as you said, every minute counts.

warriorfan4life
12-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Great stuff bleed. I think many of us were thinking this, but these numbers prove it. Now that doesnt necessarily guarantee that if we make changes the numbers will be any better, but we are roughly half way through the season so you would think if he's going to make an adjustment regarding this it would be done relatively soon. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Buzz switched Juan and Steve early, and Juan has stepped his game up (and while most fans wanted frosh to play more, I wish Juan got more then 15 minutes last night). The other switch to be made is Mayo for Jake, but Mayo has had injury/discipline issues from the ASU game on. I hope that Todd is ready to kick ass after Christmas, as Todd consistently playing to his potential transforms this team from solid to very good.

bleedbluegold03
12-22-2013, 09:03 PM
I can understand the logic but I do think you need to look at the overall minute distribution, not just the first four minutes. Because as you said, every minute counts.

2 of the 4 starters in question are 1st and 3rd in MPG...

Markedman
12-22-2013, 10:18 PM
What sort of message does he send to the team if he rewards players with starting spots that they have not earned? If winning was all that mattered Buzz wouldn't have suspended Mayo.....or Junior against UW a few years ago.

Marquette's success is built on its culture....Buzz has said it a thousand times.....he isn't going to compromise what he believes in.

That doesn't men that the lineup won't change....it means that if it does its because the more talented guys have finally earned it....the same way guys have earned it in past years.

"What you compromise to keep you will eventually lose"

kneelb4zerg
12-22-2013, 10:24 PM
What sort of message does he send to the team if he rewards players with starting spots that they have not earned? If winning was all that mattered Buzz wouldn't have suspended Mayo.....or Junior against UW a few years ago.

Marquette's success is built on its culture....Buzz has said it a thousand times.....he isn't going to compromise what he believes in.

That doesn't men that the lineup won't change....it means that if it does its because the more talented guys have finally earned it....the same way guys have earned it in past years.

"What you compromise to keep you will eventually lose"

Yeah the people upset about Thomas starting should be upset at Mayo for not doing enough to win that job. Because I always assumed it would be him.

Markedman
12-22-2013, 10:36 PM
.It's almost like people have forgotten who our coach is.....he has not changed...this is how he has built the program from the moment he took over....it is what he tells guys when he recruits them.....

How can we as fans...who have not seen one practice....have any idea if a different starting lineup would be any better?

kneelb4zerg
12-22-2013, 10:43 PM
.It's almost like people have forgotten who our coach is.....he has not changed...this is how he has built the program from the moment he took over....it is what he tells guys when he recruits them.....

How can we as fans...who have not seen one practice....have any idea if a different starting lineup would be any better?

Exactly. We can't. Our fans are entitled, arrogant assholes.

warriorfan4life
12-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Fans remember the final results the last three years and have high expectations because of that. However, a lot of fans seem to have disregarded the process that each of these teams took to get to their final results. The only Buzz team to play at a high level in November was the 2011-2012 group before Otule wrecked his knee, and there was a good two month adjustment process after that happened. The only one that was not fully humming by February was the 2010-2011 group, and admittedly the current team closely resembles that group. That team won just enough games to get in, I hope and think that this one does the same, and I look forward to improved guard play in future years.

bleedbluegold03
12-23-2013, 12:55 AM
do you think the current starting line up / distribution of minutes implemented by Buzz gives Marquette the best chance to win?

do you think our record is acceptable given the level of talent on this team? If not, what is to blame?

and kneel, you have still yet to respond to my answer to "I do think you need to look at the overall minute distribution, not just the first four minutes. " so again I state "2 of the 4 starters in question are 1st and 3rd in MPG..."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

TheSultan
12-23-2013, 07:21 AM
do you think the current starting line up / distribution of minutes implemented by Buzz gives Marquette the best chance to win?

I'd give more to JJJ and less to Thomas...more Jamil at the point. That's about it.

Honestly, we were overrated coming into the year. Losses is the back court were too much to handle.

Markedman
12-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Not that it matters but according to Pomeroy we are one of the unluckiest teams in the nation this year. Ranked 321 out of 352 teams.....

kneelb4zerg
12-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Not that it matters but according to Pomeroy we are one of the unluckiest teams in the nation this year. Ranked 321 out of 352 teams.....

I think it matters.