PDA

View Full Version : Derrick hurts us too much

Gato78
12-21-2013, 10:39 PM
NM sagged, like everyone else because he cannot or will not shoot. Offense has become 4 on 5. The guy sagging off Derrick is hurting Davante's production as well as all of the other interior guys--too easy to double. Buzz seems pig headed about this. In the last few minutes, we needed scoring and Todd is on the bench and Derrick is still in, allowing doubles on the ball. Buzz needs to go offens/defense with Derrick at the end of games, for sure. He should keep Derrick as the starter but make some changes--this situation is killing this season.

AlexJesswein
12-21-2013, 10:44 PM
NM sagged, like everyone else because he cannot or will not shoot. Offense has become 4 on 5. The guy sagging off Derrick is hurting Davante's production as well as all of the other interior guys--too easy to double. Buzz seems pig headed about this. In the last few minutes, we needed scoring and Todd is on the bench and Derrick is still in, allowing doubles on the ball. Buzz needs to go offens/defense with Derrick at the end of games, for sure. He should keep Derrick as the starter but make some changes--this situation is killing this season.

Much of my personal preseason expectations were built on Duane becoming the full time starting PG by Big East play based on his ability to score the ball. Unfortunately it looks like this is what we are stuck with.

Gato78
12-21-2013, 10:45 PM
We aren't stuck. This is fixable. Buzz just needs to reallocate playing time and look past his allegiance to Derrick.

Nukem2
12-21-2013, 10:46 PM
As I posted in another thread, Jamil should be the starting PG. Its hard to watch quality opponents ignore our PG.

AlexJesswein
12-21-2013, 10:46 PM
We aren't stuck. This is fixable. Buzz just needs to reallocate playing time and look past his allegiance to Derrick.

Has he given us any hope he will do so?

Gato78
12-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Another factor is the beginning of games when we start to dig holes. Derrick cannot score and Jake cannot score from the get go. He is like many, many players who need to watch the game and get into the flow coming off the bench. It is clear he cannot just turn it on at the beginning of the game. When you start out down 7 or 9 points, the table is not well set.

MUfan12
12-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Another factor is the beginning of games when we start to dig holes. Derrick cannot score and Jake cannot score from the get go. He is like many, many players who need to watch the game and get into the flow coming off the bench. It is clear he cannot just turn it on at the beginning of the game. When you start out down 7 or 9 points, the table is not well set.

And it happens in both halves. All their momentum was gone in the first five minutes of the second half.

mufansince72
12-21-2013, 10:51 PM

Damn, I think I said that after the first two games this season against the bunnies. It was alarming. Funny thing though is Derrick is playing better. His best is not good enough though.

kneelb4zerg
12-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Derrick is the only true PG on the roster who is healthy. Having a hard time understanding why Buzz is stubborn for playing him.

MayorBeluga
12-21-2013, 11:27 PM
DW might be the only true point, but we would be better with Jamil or Todd being a combo point since it would force teams to play straight up against us, leaving room for Davante to work the middle.

The other problem is we don't gave a truly tough leader. Who is willing to lead by example? To call out his teammates? We need a Diener or McNeal. Badly.

kneelb4zerg
12-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Since when has Todd Mayo ever shown the ability to be a combo PG?

The Derrick hating is so absurd.

Gato78
12-21-2013, 11:38 PM
I haven't harped on this at all until this game, mostly because I don't like taking shots at college kids. Unfortunately, Buzz has put Derrick in this position and it is on Buzz to address the problem. It has been clear, as mufansince72 says, since the early season games, but the issues have become magnified as we play better competition--they always do. It is correctable and the season can be salvaged with strong play in conference. Hizzoner is right, the team seems to be a missing toughness element as well. All is not lost but we have dug a hole as far as NCAA tourney selection is concerned. Right now, we aren't in. We need to save ourselves starting January 1st.

kneelb4zerg
12-21-2013, 11:42 PM
I haven't harped on this at all until this game, mostly because I don't like taking shots at college kids. Unfortunately, Buzz has put Derrick in this position and it is on Buzz to address the problem. It has been clear, as mufansince72 says, since the early season games, but the issues have become magnified as we play better competition--they always do. It is correctable and the season can be salvaged with strong play in conference. Hizzoner is right, the team seems to be a missing toughness element as well. All is not lost but we have dug a hole as far as NCAA tourney selection is concerned. Right now, we aren't in. We need to save ourselves starting January 1st.

How is he going to correct the problem when DW is the only healthy PG on the freaking roster?

BTW, 5 losses notwithstanding, the team has clearly been trending in the right direction from an efficiency standpoint. Whether that translates into enough wins remains to be seen. But it does tell me that Buzz has the right idea on player rotations.

Gato78
12-21-2013, 11:46 PM
We will have to give up some point guard play in exchange for some scoring. There is no perfect answer but against good competition, our inability to score, especially at key moments, has caused our losses. We simply have to give up some turnovers and defensive efficiency to get more offensive firepower. We cannot beat good teams with the status quo.

kneelb4zerg
12-21-2013, 11:54 PM
We will have to give up some point guard play in exchange for some scoring. There is no perfect answer but against good competition, our inability to score, especially at key moments, has caused our losses. We simply have to give up some turnovers and defensive efficiency to get more offensive firepower. We cannot beat good teams with the status quo.

We lost bc the defense was torched in the second half to the tune of 1.28 PPP. Offense isn't the problem.

Mucrisco
12-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Dawson is a point guard. I'm not making an argument. I'm just pointing that out.

Also, bad offense can lead to easy opportunities on the other end, and as a result, more PPP.

MUAlphaBangura
12-22-2013, 12:30 AM
We lost bc the defense was torched in the second half to the tune of 1.28 PPP. Offense isn't the problem.

Think it was a combo of bad D and really poor execution on offense. DG shut down inside due doubling without consequense as DW refused to shoot. Our leader Jamil fading away on shots avoiding contact instead of making the refs blow the whistle. Add a few blatantly bad calls and that is a recipe for a late game collapse. The 25 second position in the last minute and a half absolutely blew me away.

TheSultan
12-22-2013, 06:09 AM
No one can create their own shot with any consistency on this team. Mayo....Jamil...both show flashes, but neither have the ability to put fear in the defense like Vander or DJO could.

bleedbluegold03
12-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Wait, so buzz shouldn't start/allocate minutes completely off effort and consistency?

I love Buzz to death and think he's the perfect guy for our program/university. With that in mind it shocks me all the more that he's so pigheaded with this...

kneelb4zerg
12-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Wait, so buzz shouldn't start/allocate minutes completely off effort and consistency?

I love Buzz to death and think he's the perfect guy for our program/university. With that in mind it shocks me all the more that he's so pigheaded with this...

Nobody says that except for you and Alex. You are the pigheaded one.

bleedbluegold03
12-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Do you think the philosophy gives us the best chance to win a game?

TheSultan
12-22-2013, 10:11 AM
I think Buzz is doing what he believes is best to win the game. Who should be playing more? The only argument I would have is JJJ, but since Thomas had a nice game and Mayo took the back up minutes, Buzz stuck with them.

Burton is brutal defensively. Derrick only played 25 minutes last night.

What exactly is the problem with the rotation?

Nukem2
12-22-2013, 10:14 AM
I think Buzz is doing what he believes is best to win the game. Who should be playing more? The only argument I would have is JJJ, but since Thomas had a nice game and Mayo took the back up minutes, Buzz stuck with them.

Burton is brutal defensively. Derrick only played 25 minutes last night.

What exactly is the problem with the rotation?

Need to mix things up and use a different starting lineup. Not sure that changes minutes overall, but the slow starts each half can't continue.

Also, Buzz probably needs to give Derrick the green light to shoot some threes to try to loosen things up...?

MUBB713
12-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Just based on the 7-5 record I think a change in the lineup is warranted. It's unfortunate that Buzz has such an allegiance to Derrick, Chris, and now seemingly jake. All three need to play a role on this team but I think their roles need to all be reduced to a degree. With UNM having two good bigs I think it's a bad game to question Chris' playing time but going forward I would like to see MU play smaller.

I think the only time Jake should play is when either mayo or JJJ are in with him. I think all 3 of his threes in the first half came when mayo or JJJ were on the floor last night. The backcourt of just Derrick and Jake is just too easy to guard. Next I think Chris' minutes should be cut. I just think the team would flow better without him on the floor for long stretches. The ball doesn't seem to move as well with him out there. Force Juan or jamil to guard the 5. Jamil did it when Otule and Gardner were out a few years ago and it worked good.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Gardner plays more than Otule, and Otule is always going to start for the tip. Derrick may not win any popularity contests, but he's our best point guard, the problem is he and Jake are a poor fit to play together. I fully agree that Jake and Derrick should be limited in terms of time spent on the court together, but both have a role to play on this team.

The real problem is that defensively, Jake and Derrick together is our best backcourt. And it all starts with defense...

warriorfan4life
12-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Gardner plays more than Otule, and Otule is always going to start for the tip. Derrick may not win any popularity contests, but he's our best point guard, the problem is he and Jake are a poor fit to play together. I fully agree that Jake and Derrick should be limited in terms of time spent on the court together, but both have a role to play on this team.

The real problem is that defensively, Jake and Derrick together is our best backcourt. And it all starts with defense...

We need Mayo in for his offense, but I also believe that Mayo could be a versatile defender that we stick on the other teams best backcourt scorer. I would have loved for Mayo to take a few possessions against Jahii Carson in the ASU game, but he was not available.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Agreed. I think Mayo is a better man defender than Thomas, but Thomas is excellent at making switches and playing as a defender in the system of the defense. All the more reason I'd like to see Todd start instead of Jake to break the Jake/Derrick tandem up. I'm sure there are reasons we aren't seeing this happen that I'm not privy to, maybe it's attitude, practice habits, or something else. No doubt there's room for improvement, just hope we see it sooner rather than later. I'd be very nervous going into Selection Sunday with fewer than 13 combined BE/BET wins or the tourney title.

Nukem2
12-22-2013, 02:53 PM

Therein lies the rub. Need to out-score the other guy no matter how good the defense. Hopefully, Buzz can find the right blend in short order.

Markedman
12-27-2013, 11:03 AM
http://painttouches.com/2013/12/27/derrick-wilson-helping-or-hurting-marquette/?utm_content=bufferd5e59&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Phantom Warrior
12-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Holy Crapoly! Derrick has only three assists to Davante for the year - after 12 games! That is a ridiculous stat, especially given some of the low-level competition we've played.

Scenario: Derrick gets the ball on the wing. His man drops off him five or six feet, in essence fronting Davante while Davante's defender plays behind him or off his hip. No way to get the ball to DG.

You can see the scenario repeat itself possession after possession, but the stat really knocks the problem home.

We will not win many games in the Big East if our point guard can't get the ball to our most efficient, most productive offensive player.