PDA

View Full Version : UT / Rick Barnes

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-18-2013, 07:12 PM
We may be stressing the UT opening a bit too soon... Barnes has UT at 9-1 and is playing real well against UNC right now with being up over 10 at halftime... They also play Michigan St soon.

ValiantSailor
12-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Rick Barnes job is secure. Did a nice job on Ol' Roy at the Dean Dome tonight.

VS

kneelb4zerg
12-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Love seeing all the national writers have to eat their words on Barnes.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't say that win alone makes it secure, but he is definitely on the right path.

TheSultan
12-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Next game is Saturday at Michigan State.

MU/Panther
12-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Next game is Saturday at Michigan State. It's at Texas at 3pm on CBS.

MUBasketball
12-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Rumors of Barnes' demise were greatly exaggerated!

I certainly didn't expect much out of them this year, it's been an impressive start.

MU/Panther
12-20-2013, 09:14 AM
One bad year he had at Texas. People need to relax at Texas.

IrwinFletcher
12-20-2013, 10:28 AM
One bad year he had at Texas. People need to relax at Texas.

People need to relax everywhere.

IWB
12-20-2013, 12:18 PM
First off, the rumors of Barnes' demise were not exaggerated, they were real. He had a 'bad year' last year, then after the season 4 of their top players left. The Mack Brown rumors proved to be real, Barnes is yet to be determined.

That said, I agree that people need to relax on Texas. With Fr. Wild in place I don't see Buzz leaving for Texas. Kentucky I would worry about, but not Texas.

dubs98
12-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Why Kentucky? You have referenced this in the past but I find it odd in that it doesn't seem like the best fit for him. I don't want to downplay the fact that the school has an amazing tradition and great fan base but the culture there doesn't seem to be as compatible as what it evidently is?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Let's face it, Kentucky is a blue blood, probably the top dog of them all when you consider that BBall is king there and the facilities available are incredible. If IWB says UT doesn't scare him then I'll take them off the list, but if Duke, UNC, UK, or Kansas were to open id be real scared. And I don't think I could blame Buzz for accepting either. All those jobs are the top of his profession. Luckily I don't see any of those jobs opening this off season or next... However when Ol' Roy and Coach K retire it will be very interesting.

kneelb4zerg
12-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Why Kentucky? You have referenced this in the past but I find it odd in that it doesn't seem like the best fit for him. I don't want to downplay the fact that the school has an amazing tradition and great fan base but the culture there doesn't seem to be as compatible as what it evidently is?

I'll take IWB at his word also, but going to Kentucky -- with the win at all costs mentality -- doesn't seem to jibe with what he's said about Buzz wanting to do everything "above board."

AlexJesswein
12-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Gotta be because of the housing

TheSultan
12-20-2013, 02:45 PM
I can't see Buzz fitting in with Kentucky, Duke or UNC. And I think a number of UK supporters would be pretty wary of Buzz given his previous ties to Billy Clyde.

dubs98
12-20-2013, 06:37 PM
I'll take IWB at his word also, but going to Kentucky -- with the win at all costs mentality -- doesn't seem to jibe with what he's said about Buzz wanting to do everything "above board."

100 percent agree. I can see him leaving for a traditional power (sultan, I could see duke in that picture) but Kentucky culture just seems odd to me. I would think that if he wanted a top level program where he could recruit top ten guys then to me it is Texas. I am sure iWb has his sources and so there must be legs to this if the opportunity arose but I just find it weird. I will stick by my comment from a prior thread however in that I don't think there is any way buzz leaves while wild is here. I think loyalty trumps opportunity in this case.

warriorfan4life
12-21-2013, 02:57 AM
I think that the one blue blood program best suited for Buzz is Kansas. I think the vast majority of their fans are sold by the power of player development and program stability (and with Bill Self on board, rightfully so), so Buzz could continue to recruit his type of players and not have as much pressure recruiting the absolute best of the best (some of whom are not program building types that are Buzz's type of guys). Duke could happen, but I still think that the successor of Coach K's will be Brad Stevens (who will be ready for his return for the college game at that point). The other ones (UCLA, UK, UNC) have too much pressure from an overwhelming fan base for a strong minded coach that does things his way and his way only.

dubs98
12-21-2013, 11:55 AM
I think that the one blue blood program best suited for Buzz is Kansas. I think the vast majority of their fans are sold by the power of player development and program stability (and with Bill Self on board, rightfully so), so Buzz could continue to recruit his type of players and not have as much pressure recruiting the absolute best of the best (some of whom are not program building types that are Buzz's type of guys). Duke could happen, but I still think that the successor of Coach K's will be Brad Stevens (who will be ready for his return for the college game at that point). The other ones (UCLA, UK, UNC) have too much pressure from an overwhelming fan base for a strong minded coach that does things his way and his way only.

well said on all fronts. agree completely.

MUBasketball
12-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Gotta be because of the housing

What happened to you?