PDA

View Full Version : Steve Taylor Jr

be69
12-14-2013, 05:25 PM
I had my company seats today so fortunately had really good seats at mid court. When Steve was getting ready to check-in, Coach Chew quickly got up and said something to Buzz and Buzz immediately called Steve back. Buzz sounded a bit panicked when calling Steve back, like hurry up Steve and get back before there is a stoppage in the game. Given the score, I'm sure Buzz wasn't concerned about potentially putting in the wrong guy. When Steve came back he and Buzz had a quick talk. I am probably looking too far into this, but maybe Steve is contemplating a redshirt as has been speculated and Coach Chew knows this. Would be interesting if that was the case as one would think Buzz would be up-to-speed on the situation as well. Again probably making something out of nothing, but it was an interesting sequence.

Markedman
12-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Too late to redshirt?

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/collegebasketball/marquette-golden-eagles/story/Marquette-boosts-its-confidence-in-rout-?blockID=972883&feedID=8359

It is likely too late for Marquette to consider a medical redshirt for Taylor even if the knee doesn't improve. A player has to play in less than 30 percent of his team's games to be eligible. Scrimmages against Division I teams are counted in that total, and Taylor participated in the two the Golden Eagles had prior to the year.That means he's played in 10 of 33 possible games or scrimmages, more than the allotted 30 percent

milkbone
12-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Andrew Gruman @AndrewGrumanAndrew Gruman @AndrewGruman

The medical redshirt bylaw adds 1 game for the conf. tournament. Sounds like only way Taylor is eligible is if he doesn't play again. #

IWB
12-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Gruman and I were trying to figure this out during the game. I had read the rule about the number of games, and it mentioned the scheduled scrimmages that replace games. It was unclear, so I got confirmation from NCAA rep that MU's scrimmages with Illinois State and Virginia counted as scheduled games. I did not know about the conference tourney counting as one - I like sitting with Gruman during games, I think we make a good team digging for info.

So.....

Steve has played in 8 games + 2 scrimmages. The season has 31 games + 1 conference tourney + 2 scrimmages. That equals 34. The rule is 30%. Sounds like he would have been ok, right? No - another part of that excludes the medical redshirt if the player comes back from the injury and then injures again, and that is where it gets tricky, defining when he was injured, and when it is considered 're-injured'.

Buzz had this to say post game - "I like to reward guys for hard work, and Steve has been working hard. I turned and saw him and sent him in. Chew asked me if I thought that was a good idea, and I called Steve back. I asked Chew what he thought. Steve said he would do whatever we asked him to do, so we sent him back."

Now this doesn't mean that Taylor will redshirt, what it means is that if they do decide to bypass the redshirt, it will be because he is healthy and because they need him, it won't be because they are rewarding him in the last 5 minutes of the IUPUI game.

Markedman
12-15-2013, 10:57 AM
So is Steve on board with how this is being handled? He is ok wth redshirting if that is what it comes to?

IWB
12-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Steve is a smart kid, and understands the situation. Of course he wants to play, but Earnest and Buzz have been open and honest with him all along and he knows they have his best interests in mind.

MU/Panther
12-16-2013, 01:22 PM
I saw this at the game as well. I wish Homer would have ask what happened in the postgame.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Steve is a smart kid, and understands the situation. Of course he wants to play, but Earnest and Buzz have been open and honest with him all along and he knows they have his best interests in mind.

When you say he understands the situation are you referring to the requirements of maintaning options regarding redshirting or the situation as in he has 3 seniors ahead of him on the depth chart?

IWB
12-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Has nothing to do with the depth chart, has everything to do with his options and his understanding that they are looking out for his best interests. Every kid wants to play, no one wants to redshirt. That said, he understands that they wouldn't redshirt or play him for their own benefit, that they wouldn't make a move either way unless it was right by the kid.

Markedman
12-16-2013, 07:14 PM
3 years for Steve to get major minutes would be great for him and the team in the long run.....as long as he can deal with the wait and understands that he can't really contribute right now.