PDA

View Full Version : 2010-11

AlexJesswein
12-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Reminder:

Our best non-conference wins were Bucknell, Green Bay and Milwaukee
Meanwhile we lost to Duke, Gonzaga, Wisconsin and Vanderbilt.

Made me feel better looking back at that.

MayorBeluga
12-13-2013, 10:07 AM
True, but we barely made the NCAA before making a run in the tourney. Most assumed that our win over Providence in the NCAA got us in, but we apparently needed our win over Wet Virginia in the BET given our seed (11?). Plus the Big East in 2011 is very different than in 2014. Alas.

MU_Iceman
12-13-2013, 10:43 AM
As Mayor says, different year, different conference, completely different circumstances etc. Think about what you said Alex...that team had to make a run late just to be an 11 seed(yes, I know they went to the sweet 16). Should not have to rely on a late season run to get them in. This team should have ESSENTIALLY(obviously barring something unforseen, like we have seen) already been in when the year started and basically playing for seeding. To think it's likely they may not even get in, and if they do it will be an UGLY(6 or lower) seed leaves me in disbelief and already shaking my head.

Yes, once you get in the NCAA's anything can happen, but it's not rocket science to think/know, the higher your seed, the better your odds are at advancing(though nothing is a given). When you consider where this teams expectations were at the start of the year...to be 5-4 after 9 games?? Disbelief is all I can say.

TheSultan
12-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Maybe Marquette was simply overrated pre-season. It happens.

kneelb4zerg
12-13-2013, 10:49 AM
As Mayor says, different year, different conference, completely different circumstances etc. Think about what you said Alex...that team had to make a run late just to be an 11 seed(yes, I know they went to the sweet 16). Should not have to rely on a late season run to get them in. This team should have ESSENTIALLY(obviously barring something unforseen, like we have seen) already been in when the year started and basically playing for seeding. To think it's likely they may not even get in, and if they do it will be an UGLY(6 or lower) seed leaves me in disbelief and already shaking my head.

Yes, once you get in the NCAA's anything can happen, but it's not rocket science to think/know, the higher your seed, the better your odds are at advancing(though nothing is a given). When you consider where this teams expectations were at the start of the year...to be 5-4 after 9 games?? Disbelief is all I can say.

Buzz specifically said that we didn't deserve to be ranked so high going into the season, and he was right.

Doesn't mean we still won't win the Big East though.

GOMU1104
12-13-2013, 11:11 AM

We have an awful starting backcourt. Could see that coming in.

If you had high expectations and are now in disbelief, that is your fault.

kneelb4zerg
12-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Plus, the guy tasked with taking over most/all of Vander's scoring role is mercurial, to say the least, and had knee surgery late in the offseason.