PDA

View Full Version : Buzz's Psyche

Phantom Warrior
12-09-2013, 07:12 AM
I recall a game when Buzz first took over for Crean in the '08-'09 season. It might have been our second or third conference game, and, if memory serves, we were playing Rutgers at Rutgers. We had a double-digit lead (maybe 12-13 points) with just a couple of minutes to go, and Buzz pulled some of his starters and put in three or four subs (maybe Acker, Cubillan, and one or two others) thinking the game was over.

But Rutgers (if it was Rutgers) made a furious comeback to cut the lead. making it a one-possession or two-possession game, so Buzz pulled all the subs he'd put in and brought back Jerel, DJ, Wesley, etc., and we held on to win.

But for the rest of that season, Buzz became very, very cautious about going to his bench, and Acker, Cubillan, and others saw their minutes dwindle, and when they did play, they got a quick hook if they did anything wrong.

I have a suspicion that that game against Rutgers is still playing a significant role in the way Buzz approaches his personnel during games. For the rest of that '08-'09 season Buzz didn't seem to trust Mo, Cubi, and a couple of other reserves. That's one of the reasons I think we don't see Dawson get much playing time. He trusts Derrick but not Dawson. I think it's also why he has a quick hook for Deonte and JaJuan. The latter two seem to have earned a degree of Buzz's "trust," more so than earlier in the year, but not at the level of trust he has in Derrick, Jake, or even Juan.

I would love to see the freshmen get more minutes - for a variety of reasons. But I don't expect much of a change in playing time for any of them in the foreseeable future. I think that Rutgers game is still very much alive and present in Buzz's psyche, and I have a feeling it will be there for years to come.

Again, this is all speculation on my part, but I think that game had an enormous impact on Buzz's coaching.

IrwinFletcher
12-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Paint Touches did a blog spot on Buzz's freshman and their minutes. Somewhat interestingly, Mike Broeker tweeted out taking a little jab at PT for the content of the post.

One could look at UW@Madison as well. Bronson Koening was supposed to be a superstar but he hasn't garnered a ton of playing time either. The difference of course is that he has a lot of talent ahead of him.

I think Burton and JJJ are the two guys that should be getting more time with Dawson a few more minutes to give Derrick a blow. We need some offense and those guys certainly offer that.

BLT
12-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Go back and look at the UW highlights. Burton was playing defense on a lot of them. With injuries and a transfer there are minutes to be had, but one cannot give away points and possessions. I think Buzz was trying to fold in freshmen minutes on the road, but MU needs some home cooking to get them some continuity minutes. Tough stretch

MUMac
12-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Go back and look at the UW highlights. Burton was playing defense on a lot of them. With injuries and a transfer there are minutes to be had, but one cannot give away points and possessions. I think Buzz was trying to fold in freshmen minutes on the road, but MU needs some home cooking to get them some continuity minutes. Tough stretch

I agree with this. Burton and JJJ had moments where they cost possessions and points. Burton was really struggling with UW's cutting to the basket. Both when his man had the ball and off the ball. He looked lost at times. JJJ was slow reacting to lose balls and struggled staying with his man at times. Team defense may be making them think too much, right now. I am sure they will learn from this, but those are the things that are keeping them on the bench.

TulsaWarrior
12-09-2013, 08:32 AM
I agree with this. Burton and JJJ had moments where they cost possessions and points. Burton was really struggling with UW's cutting to the basket. Both when his man had the ball and off the ball. He looked lost at times. JJJ was slow reacting to lose balls and struggled staying with his man at times. Team defense may be making them think too much, right now. I am sure they will learn from this, but those are the things that are keeping them on the bench.

Spot on analysis of what's happening with the freshman. This season Buzz doesn't have the ideal pieces and has to be creative in developing the team. George Washington beating Maryland yesterday shows us something. A couple of possessions in the ASU and SDSU game and the attitude on the board would be different among most posters.

This is the toughest challenge of Buzz's Marquette tenure. It won't be a pretty season but I still think it will be a rewarding one in the end. By that I mean we'll see a young team with limited talent find a way to win. Like it or not Mayo's ability to play to his potential and as a team player will open up everything else. Right now there are only two players on the squad that can make everyone else better -- Mayo and JWilson. They play well and Gardner gets better looks. Otule and Anderson are glue guys who will do what they can and will always give their best. The freshman are wild cards because of their youth and D1 experience. Thomas would get better outside looks with Mayo and JWilson as active threats to score. DerrickW will also be able to do what he does best. He is a gutsy if limited offensive option -- physical defender and adequate passer.

AlexJesswein
12-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Spot on analysis of what's happening with the freshman. This season Buzz doesn't have the ideal pieces and has to be creative in developing the team. George Washington beating Maryland yesterday shows us something. A couple of possessions in the ASU and SDSU game and the attitude on the board would be different among most posters.

This is the toughest challenge of Buzz's Marquette tenure. It won't be a pretty season but I still think it will be a rewarding one in the end. By that I mean we'll see a young team with limited talent find a way to win. Like it or not Mayo's ability to play to his potential and as a team player will open up everything else. Right now there are only two players on the squad that can make everyone else better -- Mayo and JWilson. They play well and Gardner gets better looks. Otule and Anderson are glue guys who will do what they can and will always give their best. The freshman are wild cards because of their youth and D1 experience. Thomas would get better outside looks with Mayo and JWilson as active threats to score. DerrickW will also be able to do what he does best. He is a gutsy if limited offensive option -- physical defender and adequate passer.

Our underclassmen (freshman and sophs) have played just 21% (379/1800) of our minutes this season...most of which came against Grambling State. What makes you believe that?