PDA

View Full Version : Slow starts and starting lineup

Nukem2
12-07-2013, 04:03 PM
On the post-game show, Buzz just said that the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half cost MU the game. I agree and slow starts in both halves against OSU, ASU, SDSU and UW are rather apparent causing MU to continually play catchup. Obviously the starters are simply slow in getting into the game. Not sure what may change. I would start Mayo ( who Buzz said will be back on Monday after a day off for the team) and then sub in JJ and Jake. Need to get some offensive flow at the start of halves.

kneelb4zerg
12-07-2013, 04:05 PM
But in the second half of ASU is when we started a big run to get back in the game

Nukem2
12-07-2013, 04:06 PM
But in the second half of ASU is when we started a big run to get back in the game
But the slow start in the first half put MU in a huge hole.

warriorfan4life
12-07-2013, 04:09 PM
I would love to start Mayo if he could quit being an idiot. I understand why Buzz rewarded Jake to start the year with Mayo's knee injury and JJJ not being ready for major PT. I thought Mayo would supplant him in short order, but then he gets hurt and decides to be an idiot again before this week.

Nukem2
12-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I would love to start Mayo if he could quit being an idiot. I understand why Buzz rewarded Jake to start the year with Mayo's knee injury and JJJ not being ready for major PT. I thought Mayo would supplant him in short order, but then he gets hurt and decides to be an idiot again before this week.He just apologized for being late for a practice. Don't know the circumstances or how late he was, but does that make him an idiot?

warriorfan4life
12-07-2013, 04:14 PM
He just apologized for being late for a practice. Don't know the circumstances or how late he was, but does that make him an idiot?

Maybe idiot is strong, though his history if not exactly problem free.

Markedman
12-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Some kids just can't get out of their own way.......

Phantom Warrior
12-07-2013, 04:56 PM
The key word for Buzz, which he uses all the time, is "accountability." Read or listen to interviews with Jimmy B, Jae, Vander, Wes, etc., and the phrase one sees/hears over and over again is "being accountable."

For Buzz, being on time of practice is something that should be given. Whether Mayo was late by five minutes or 25 minutes is irrelevant. He was late for a practice. Period. Mayo has been around the block with Buzz. He knows the rules.

Would his presence/availability today have made a difference in the outcome? Who knows? But I doubt he could have been any less productive than Jake was.

Shame he wasn't at least available. If only Buzz would stop messing with Todd's head. (Italics is an indication of sarcasm!)

TheSultan
12-07-2013, 05:02 PM
I would start JJJ instead of Jake Thomas.

But Deonte's defense is terrible...no way he should start now.

MUMac
12-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Deonte was horrible on defense today. Absolutely brutal. He lost his man far too many times.

The start to the second half was slow and dug the hole. I give UW as much credit, though. They were quicker to the loose balls all game. MU played lazy at times. Waiting for the ball to come to them or go out of bounds and Brust, Gasser, Dekker, Jackson were always running to the ball.

The offense does not look like a MU offense. Really missing Mayo. I hoped Duane WIlson and JJJ would be fitting into the rotation right now. Obviously, Wilson's injury has hurt. This team needs some offense. Not getting it right now.

I liked what Jamil did late in the game. I was hoping he would do that earlier.

TheSultan
12-07-2013, 05:17 PM
And I think Juan is actually playing pretty well. Good energy and good defense. Here is a comparison with Trent from last year. Not that much different when you take minutes into consideration.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=trent-lockett&i=1&p1=juan-anderson

warriorfan4life
12-07-2013, 08:46 PM
A healthy and smart Todd Mayo would make all the difference to this team. For as ugly as things have looked at times, we we were only blown out by Ohio State and blew out a solid GW team on a neutral court. Mayo's shooting and scoring ability would open up space for everyone else. Jake is not being aggressive enough on offense to warrant his starting spot, but we need Mayo to earn it.

Think Juan can also help if he can just stay out of foul trouble. There is a really good player lurking in there, but we do not see enough flashes of it because of foul trouble and/or lack of offensive aggression.

TheSultan
12-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Eh...Mayo is inconsistent. As good as he can look at times, at others he looks disengaged.

Nukem2
12-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Eh...Mayo is inconsistent. As good as he can look at times, at others he looks disengaged.
And, Jake brings what as a heavy minute guy when he cannot get his shot...? Start Todd and bring JJ and Jake off the bench. Jake's fouls and bad plays when he cannot do lateral movements are getting tiring...? Now, don't get me wrong, Jake can contribute with 12 to 20 minutes off the bench as a spark. As a starter...we have not and will not see it. Cannot fault his effort...but.

Nukem2
12-07-2013, 10:00 PM
And, Jake brings what as a heavy minute guy when he cannot get his shot...? Start Todd and bring JJ and Jake off the bench. Jake's fouls and bad plays when he cannot do lateral movements are getting tiring...? Now, don't get me wrong, Jake can contribute with 12 to 20 minutes off the bench as a spark. As a starter...we have not and will not see it. Cannot fault his effort...but.

PS, Sultan, you have been a heavy duty Jake naysayer. At least, I believe he can contribute off the bench.

kneelb4zerg
12-07-2013, 10:06 PM
A healthy and smart Todd Mayo would make all the difference to this team. For as ugly as things have looked at times, we we were only blown out by Ohio State and blew out a solid GW team on a neutral court. Mayo's shooting and scoring ability would open up space for everyone else. Jake is not being aggressive enough on offense to warrant his starting spot, but we need Mayo to earn it.

Think Juan can also help if he can just stay out of foul trouble. There is a really good player lurking in there, but we do not see enough flashes of it because of foul trouble and/or lack of offensive aggression.

Yes we need Mayo to earn it. That is exactly right.

TheSultan
12-07-2013, 11:10 PM
PS, Sultan, you have been a heavy duty Jake naysayer. At least, I believe he can contribute off the bench.

I think he could too.

JohnnyRev
12-08-2013, 09:57 AM
I have a question that doesn't apply only to Jake, but uses him yesterday as an example. Jake was covered quite closely the whole game by his Badger opponent (forget who it was). Never once did I see the team work a screen on Jake's man to free Jake up for a less hurried open three. In fact, I don't remember any screens for any three point shot. Even Jamil usually had to fire his threes when either closely challenged or have just personally made room for his quick shot (which Jake apparently cannot do) - I don't remember any screens set for Jamil or anyone else either. I don't understand this. Even if we don't have good consistent three-point shooters, I don't see how we can consistently win games (especially close games) against teams who do shoot the three reasonably well with virtually no or very few threes.

TheSultan
12-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I have a question that doesn't apply only to Jake, but uses him yesterday as an example. Jake was covered quite closely the whole game by his Badger opponent (forget who it was). Never once did I see the team work a screen on Jake's man to free Jake up for a less hurried open three. In fact, I don't remember any screens for any three point shot. Even Jamil usually had to fire his threes when either closely challenged or have just personally made room for his quick shot (which Jake apparently cannot do) - I don't remember any screens set for Jamil or anyone else either. I don't understand this. Even if we don't have good consistent three-point shooters, I don't see how we can consistently win games (especially close games) against teams who do shoot the three reasonably well with virtually no or very few threes.

Someone who is a lot smarter than I am can answer this, but I believe that Buzz's base offense relies on the ball going inside out to get three point shots, and not a lot of off the ball screening.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure what Jake's role should be. Last year many (myself included) hoped he could be a sharpshooter off the bench. Didn't work. This year he's had the chance to start and been allowed to get into the flow of the game. Has worked sporadically. I don't know if Jajuan is ready on D, I don't know if Mayo is ready from a maturity standpoint, but what really irks me is seeing Steve Taylor not able to get it on either end. If he could still start, I'd be fine with a big starting 5 that flexed Juan or Jamil to the 2. Maybe it's the injury. Either way, it's clear we really miss Van. I think he's the difference between a top-10 team and one that's on the bubble.