PDA

View Full Version : OT- Congrats MU Volleyball!!!!

MUAlphaBangura
12-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Swept Louisville in the 1st round of the NCAA Tourney! Always a good day when you kick Louisville's ass, whatever the sport. Play the winner of Illinois vs Morehead St. Tomorrow. Good luck ladies!!

IWB
12-06-2013, 06:28 PM
I believe Louisville was their nemesis last year, so that is a huge win!

MUAlphaBangura
12-06-2013, 06:40 PM
I believe Louisville was their nemesis last year, so that is a huge win!

Last couple of years actually. The Ville was just slightly better than MU and kept them from getting their 1st BE Championship. Lot of frustration cleansed from their systems tonight. Congrats Bond!

dubs98
12-06-2013, 06:54 PM
how many teams make the tourney? how highly are the mu ladies ranked? good to hear them represent MU well.

TheSultan
12-06-2013, 07:17 PM
how many teams make the tourney? how highly are the mu ladies ranked? good to hear them represent MU well.

64 teams

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/volleyball-women/d1

The NCAA seeds the top 16 but then fills in the rest of the bracket for geographical purposes. (ie, save on travel)

IWB
12-06-2013, 07:18 PM
They are currently ranked #8 in the country.
There are 64 teams in the tourney.
Next up MU faces the winner of the Illinois vs Morehead State match.
Here are the brackets: http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/volleyball-women/d1

I have known one of their All-American hopefuls, Elizabeth "Bisky" Koberstein since she was probably 3 years old. Bisky was named the Big East Player of the Year!!!!

TheSultan
12-06-2013, 07:35 PM
MU is ranked...but they're not seeded in the tournament. Illinois is the #13 overall seed.

IWB
12-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Interesting that MU is not seeded but Illinois is, seeing how MU is ranked 8th and Illinois 20th!

MUMac
12-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Interesting that MU is not seeded but Illinois is, seeing how MU is ranked 8th and Illinois 20th!

Wisconsin is seeded, as well. That shocked me.

MUAlphaBangura
12-06-2013, 08:49 PM

IWB, the #8 ranking is RPI I believe. Think they are rated something like #23 in the national rankings. They played a killer non-conference schedule, including 3 teams in the top 5(Penn St., Florida and USC). That is why their RPI has been so good all season.

MUAlphaBangura
12-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Wisconsin is seeded, as well. That shocked me.

Big Ten is probably the deepest conference in the country. Many top-notch programs. UW is a perrenially strong program. Think they had a down season last year, but rebounded nicely this year. My only issue with them is their general refusal to play Marquette since Marquette's resurgence. Would play them back in the day when MU sucked, but no more. I know Bond would play them anytime,anywhere.

MUMac
12-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Big Ten is probably the deepest conference in the country. Many top-notch programs. UW is a perrenially strong program. Think they had a down season last year, but rebounded nicely this year. My only issue with them is their general refusal to play Marquette since Marquette's resurgence. Would play them back in the day when MU sucked, but no more. I know Bond would play them anytime,anywhere.

Actually, this is the first year Wisconsin had been in the NCAA's since '07. They were very good until '08. Had been mediocre since. Losing records in the Big 10 from '08 until this year. I would have classified them as perennially strong program in the early '00's, but not as of late.

IWB
12-06-2013, 09:21 PM
IWB, the #8 ranking is RPI I believe. Think they are rated something like #23 in the national rankings. They played a killer non-conference schedule, including 3 teams in the top 5(Penn St., Florida and USC). That is why their RPI has been so good all season.

Could be, got it here: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1

MUAlphaBangura
12-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Actually, this is the first year Wisconsin had been in the NCAA's since '07. They were very good until '08. Had been mediocre since. Losing records in the Big 10 from '08 until this year. I would have classified them as perennially strong program in the early '00's, but not as of late.

They had a better than .500 record the last three years, though not by much. With the competition in the Big Ten during those seasons being sooo good, they were not in position to secure an NCAA bid as they had losing records in conference. That speaks volumes to the strength of the Big Ten, not so much to the mediocrity of Wisconsin. They were still very competitive out of conference and would still consider them to be a very solid program during those years. Hopefully Coach Shymansky can turn the tables to have MU become the "gold standard" in the state. He has a killer recruiting class coming in next season. By the way, Wisconsin swept UW-Milwaukee tonight, so they too have made the round of 32.

BLT
12-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Congrats to the ladies! Huge accomplishment but keep it going! Bisky should be a All American, but the Big East rep will prevent her I fear. Will MU be able to keep Bond, for those in the know? Volleyball could be a big moneymaker under him eventually. Kudos to Steve and Danielle for seeing that vision...and to Bond for believing in it. Beat the Illini. We Believe!

ziggysfryboy
12-06-2013, 11:50 PM

Sounds like a mission for Bud Haidet and Bruce Pearl.

MUMac
12-07-2013, 05:30 AM
They had a better than .500 record the last three years, though not by much. With the competition in the Big Ten during those seasons being sooo good, they were not in position to secure an NCAA bid as they had losing records in conference. That speaks volumes to the strength of the Big Ten, not so much to the mediocrity of Wisconsin. They were still very competitive out of conference and would still consider them to be a very solid program during those years. Hopefully Coach Shymansky can turn the tables to have MU become the "gold standard" in the state. He has a killer recruiting class coming in next season. By the way, Wisconsin swept UW-Milwaukee tonight, so they too have made the round of 32.

Living in Madison and watching the program, I do not agree with you at all. UW had well below .500 record in the Big 10. They were not just missing out, they were not close. Sorry, but they had been mediocre. Yes, the Big 10 was powerful, UW was not. It at one time was a big show in town. It went downhill and support dwindled along with the play. There was a reason why Pete Waite resigned, you know. It wasn't because they had a perennial strong program under his latter years ...

We will have to agree to disagree. But back to the thread, congrats to the ladies. Quite a fall for MU athletics!

MUAlphaBangura
12-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Sounds like a mission for Bud Haidet and Bruce Pearl.

Except Bond means it! :p

MUAlphaBangura
12-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Living in Madison and watching the program, I do not agree with you at all. UW had well below .500 record in the Big 10. They were not just missing out, they were not close. Sorry, but they had been mediocre. Yes, the Big 10 was powerful, UW was not. It at one time was a big show in town. It went downhill and support dwindled along with the play. There was a reason why Pete Waite resigned, you know. It wasn't because they had a perennial strong program under his latter years ...

We will have to agree to disagree. But back to the thread, congrats to the ladies. Quite a fall for MU athletics!

Well, we will definitely have to agree to disagree as my definition of a strong program is even during the "down" years you are finishing above .500 for the season even though you are playing in the best conference in the land.

Good luck to the ladies today as they play a tough Illini squad on their home court. I really think Bond has his team ready to play. #seasonofchampions.

TedBaxter
12-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Bond S. really has the program on the upswing. I watched about a game and a half last night and they really stayed strong when Louisville made some runs, especially in the second game after Louisville took a 22-20 lead. Autumn Bailey's serving put Louisville in real defense mode and MU took advantage to take the next 5 points and the game 25-22. Bailey is really, really good.

MUMac
12-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Well, we will definitely have to agree to disagree as my definition of a strong program is even during the "down" years you are finishing above .500 for the season even though you are playing in the best conference in the land.

Good luck to the ladies today as they play a tough Illini squad on their home court. I really think Bond has his team ready to play. #seasonofchampions.

I guess I do not know the strength of the Savannah State's, Jacksonville's, Georgia Southern's, North Dakota State's ... of the world that they build their "winning" record upon. Up to 2009, they had an impressive non-conference slate.

I know the people in Madison do not share your perspective ...

Have the last word. I am done.

ziggysfryboy
12-07-2013, 09:55 AM
This should help in the capitol one cup standings.

TedBaxter
12-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Waite couldn't keep the program going after the previous regime set the table for success.

MU/Panther
12-07-2013, 10:39 AM
MU played BYU as well.

MinnesotaJeb
12-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Could be, got it here: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1

They were ranked #24 last week, but it definitely looks like they jumped to #8 after having won both the regular season and tourney BE championships. They have amassed a remarkable record. They were surprised not to host the first rounds of the NCAA tourney.

Although it is also true their RPI ranking last week was around 8th or 10th in the country.

MinnesotaJeb
12-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Illini defeat #22 MU Volleyball team 3-1. End of a great season.

Markedman
12-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Kind of amazing that UW is now in the National Championship game after beating top ranked and defending champion Texas tonight in 4 sets.

Missed the tournament 4 or 5 years in a row and they get rid of the coach...new guy comes in and gets to the finals with other guys players.

Last coach(Waite) recruited the top ranked player in the country....she stuck with her commitment even after the coaching change.

MUMac
12-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Kind of amazing that UW is now in the National Championship game after beating top ranked and defending champion Texas tonight in 4 sets.

Missed the tournament 4 or 5 years in a row and they get rid of the coach...new guy comes in and gets to the finals with other guys players.

Last coach(Waite) recruited the top ranked player in the country....she stuck with her commitment even after the coaching change.

That is what Waite did, but in his 2nd year, not first. That was the last (and only time) the Badgers were in the Final 4 and NCAA Championship Game. They lost in that one to their former coach, who Waite replaced, John Cook.

TedBaxter
12-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Carlini is a great setter and she's only a freshman. Runs the show for UW and they played very, very well last night.

This is not a negative, but it is pretty surprising that only 2 members of the UW team are Wisconsin natives and I don't think either played last night. Waite wanted Wisconsin high school kids to walk-on at UW and the new coach may take a different approach.

The daughter of former Minnesota Gopher and Packer running back Darrell(?) Thompson had some big plays for the Badgers last night.

MU/Panther
12-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Maybe UW can put MU on their schedule.

MUAlphaBangura
12-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Really surprised how mediocre Texas looked last night. They only had offense from their strong side, and if she couldn't put the ball down they weren't going to score. I know they recently changed their setter, but their passing was also horrible and their defense did not look like it was the top ranked team in the country. Congrats to UW for getting to the finals, but I fear they likely get rolled by Penn St.-- those chicks are good!!!!