PDA

View Full Version : MU-UW Personnel

Phantom Warrior
12-05-2013, 06:10 PM
I never thought I'd say this, and it really is hard to actually express these thoughts - and, I'm sure many will take issue. But in all honesty, I think UW has the advantage at all five positions.

Point - Derrick versus Jackson: Jackson is inconsistent, but he is able to break down defenses, get into the lane, and dish to open shooters. He is also capable of double-digit scoring himself, though he is streaky and inconsistent. As for Derrick, I'm actually pleased if he makes three baskets and scores six points. Sorry, but I find that sad.

Wings - Jake & Juan versus Gasser & Brust: Brust is somewhat inconsistent, but he can cause havoc when he's on. Jake can, too, but he's much less "on" and much more "off" than Brust. Gasser is a solid all-around player. Juan hustles and gets an occasional tip in or slam and he's become a solid rebounder, but Gasser is a terrific glue guy. Even if we shift in Mayo, I'd take Brust and Gasser before Todd.

The "4" - Jamil versus Decker: Decker has only shown glimpses of his star potential so far this year, and Jamil had a terrific half (20 points), but Decker always seems to contribute, while Jamil goes into his Houdini act and disappears far too often. Bottom line: if I had a choice of which one to play major minutes at the 4, I'd probably go with Decker.

Center - Davante/Chris versus Kaminsky: A month ago, I would have said this is a no-brainer with MU on the long end. But Kaminsky has looked very, very good - far better than I ever anticipated - and it's not just his 43-point shocker. He has looked GOOD, as he did last night against Virginia. Davante has been a mild disappointment so far, though it's not all his fault. We have trouble getting him the ball on the block. It would not surprise me one bit if Kaminsky outplays our center tandem on Saturday, and that, too me, is something I would not have thought possible even a few weeks ago.

Almost every other MU-UW game I can recall in the past 10-12 years, there was probably a 3-2 or 2-3 split between the two teams in terms of which players I would say are stronger among the top five. Right now, if I had to pick a starting line up among the top six/seven players on each team, I would probably go 5-0 in favor of UW.

I'm sure others don't see it that way, and it won't surprise me if my take raises the ire among some. But I just call it the way I see it, and at this point in the season, that's how I see it. I'm hoping that as the season progresses if I looked at the UW and MU line ups, I'd see things differently.

IrwinFletcher
12-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Hard to argue with any of this. I think MU will scrap and claw to stay close, but I see this being a 15 point game. Not excited at all.

To add to this....

The SDSU game has really taken a lot of my fandom out of this team. I was really encouraged with the ASU game even though it was a loss and then the first 2 games in Anaheim.

But watching this team vs. SDSU was demoralizing. Dumb plays. Dumb shots. Bad shooting. Bad FT shooting. I really think this team has some talent and leadership issues that need to be corrected soon.

TedBaxter
12-05-2013, 07:20 PM
You're going to jump off the bandwagon after the team lost 3 games?

Ohio State took MU to the cleaners in the second half and there's no question about that. MU lost at Arizona State playing without Todd Mayo who had an ankle injury and lost to San Diego State with an under the weather Davante Gardner. They also lost Jameel McKay to transfer and Duane Wilson to injury before either played a game and Steve Taylor is not close to 100%.

They may not win Saturday and may struggle to make the post season, but I'm sure as hell not going to withdraw my support.

Gato78
12-05-2013, 07:45 PM
I think we are better than stated and I think SDSU was better than anticipated. Let's look at this a different way--we are quicker than Bucky at every position--maybe they are quicker with Kaminsky vs our two, but I don't think so. We are a better rebounding team. We might be better defensively. Offensively, we go to the rim better, they shoot better. If they cannot shoot, hopefully because of our defense, I think we can win. I would press the Badgers as I do not think they are good ballhandlers--I mean presure the whole game, not just picking spots.

MUMac
12-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Every year, the calendar turns, winter starts to chill as we begin the Christmas Season and I read on the MU Boards by the normally rational fans about how much better UW is than MU from some poster(s). About how we will be lucky to even be on the same floor as them. How has MU ever beaten bucky? I don't know what it is about MU fans and their insecurity, but it is somewhat bemusing.

Nukem2
12-05-2013, 08:04 PM
You're going to jump off the bandwagon after the team lost 3 games?

Ohio State took MU to the cleaners in the second half and there's no question about that. MU lost at Arizona State playing without Todd Mayo who had an ankle injury and lost to San Diego State with an under the weather Davante Gardner. They also lost Jameel McKay to transfer and Duane Wilson to injury before either played a game and Steve Taylor is not close to 100%.

They may not win Saturday and may struggle to make the post season, but I'm sure as hell not going to withdraw my support.

My thoughts as well.

warriorfan4life
12-05-2013, 09:57 PM
There will be a lot of mea culpas and crow eating to be had after the game Saturday. Way too many fans, most of the normally reasonable and level headed, have been very harsh on this group and and quick to give up on a great coach and a talented group of players. I thought we'd be one game better, winning Anaheim event, but also understand the tough circumstances surrounding that game did not favor us. I underestimated SDSU a bit, as they're a legit tourney team that had a home like crowd. However, we win that game if Gardner alone was healthy, much less Mayo or De Wilson. I fully appreciate why brew had to expose so many ridiculous comments last year on Scoop, as I think many people will want to take back some of their crazy posts come March.

Phantom Warrior
12-05-2013, 11:44 PM
A little bit of context. I am not one who has predicted doom and gloom every year when we play the Badgers. I usually like our chances.

We usually have an advantage in the back court, and I usually am skeptical that UW's guards can defend our guards - i.e. keep them out of the paint.

I have also felt that certain years we were likely to win because of Bo's pig-headed refusal to play zone - ever. That has worked to our advantage a few times over the years.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-06-2013, 07:30 AM
I find the "I'm actually pleased if he makes three baskets and scores six points" comment to be comical rather than sad. He is averaging 10 ppg in the past 4 games, and that includes the 9 against SDSU that would have almost certainly been more if not for the injury he took on. The only game of those 4 where he didn't score more than the 3 baskets you need to be pleased was Fullerton, and that was a blowout win where we didn't need more offense (especially with his 5 assists).

In the past 4 games, which is HALF our season so far, Derrick is averaging 10 ppg, 4.8 apg, 3.8 rpg, and 1.8 tpg. Those aren't just good numbers, those are stud numbers that border on all-conference (maybe not first team, but at least HM). What does this kid have to do for people to stop bagging on him? If you would still take Jackson, fine, whatever, that's your prerogative, but hearing so many blinding themselves to some rather stellar performances because of negative perceptions after the first few games is getting a bit tired.

The way you say Jackson "is able to break down defenses, get into the lane, and dish to open shooters. He is also capable of double-digit scoring himself" is what I find sad. What of those things has Derrick not proven he can do over the past 4 games? Break down defenses, get into the lane, dish to open shooters? Score in double digits (2/4 games)? Are you even watching the kid, or have you simply put on your anti-Derrick goggles and refused to take them off?

IrwinFletcher
12-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Why is it when someone says something negative about a Marquette player, it is assumed they are wearing "anti (insert player name) goggles".

The criticism of Derrick is valid. He has certainly improved over his past two seasons and much of that is due to playing time. He has done a very good job of getting to the basket and scoring. However, I think that is all he can do offensively.

I disagree that he penetrates and dishes off. Junior was so good at that and that is something that has been lacking so far from Derrick. He has also failed to make a 3-pointer this season. Think about that. 8 games into the season, he has not made a 3-pointer. He has only taken 5 3-pointers today. Why? He knows he can't make them. And this even though defenses sag off of him. Derrick is also shooting 54% from the FT line. That is a liability for a PG and when we are in a close game, you will see he will not be the primary ball handler because teams will foul him.

Jackson is shooting worse at 36% but shoots 71% from the FT line and 41% from deep. He also has 4.6 APG vs 2.1 TOPG.

You point out what Derrick has done the last 4 games. Hopefully that is a trend and his game is improving, but you can't discount the whole season to make your stats look better.

Everyone is pulling for him as he is vital to the success of the team. I just am not confident in his offensive abilities, especially since we are lacking in other areas.

kneelb4zerg
12-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Why is it when someone says something negative about a Marquette player, it is assumed they are wearing "anti (insert player name) goggles".
The criticism of Derrick is valid. He has certainly improved over his past two seasons and much of that is due to playing time. He has done a very good job of getting to the basket and scoring. However, I think that is all he can do offensively.

I disagree that he penetrates and dishes off. Junior was so good at that and that is something that has been lacking so far from Derrick. He has also failed to make a 3-pointer this season. Think about that. 8 games into the season, he has not made a 3-pointer. He has only taken 5 3-pointers today. Why? He knows he can't make them. And this even though defenses sag off of him. Derrick is also shooting 54% from the FT line. That is a liability for a PG and when we are in a close game, you will see he will not be the primary ball handler because teams will foul him.

Jackson is shooting worse at 36% but shoots 71% from the FT line and 41% from deep. He also has 4.6 APG vs 2.1 TOPG.

You point out what Derrick has done the last 4 games. Hopefully that is a trend and his game is improving, but you can't discount the whole season to make your stats look better.

Everyone is pulling for him as he is vital to the success of the team. I just am not confident in his offensive abilities, especially since we are lacking in other areas.

Because it's one thing to be negative when it's justified, and another to be negative in spite of objective evidence to the contrary.

TheSultan
12-06-2013, 09:08 AM
After watching Jackson the past couple of years, I can guaranty you that he would drive everyone crazy if he were Marquette's point guard. He occasionally looks very good, but he also makes a lot of poor decisions. I bet half the fans on here would long for a more steady PG like Derrick.

Phantom Warrior
12-06-2013, 09:15 AM
It's not just Derrick's lack of a deep game that concerns me. He does not have a mid-range game either. I think he has made one shot all season from mid-range. But I'm not even sure about that. Junior was not exactly a barn burner from behind the arc, but he at least had to be defended to some extent. But Junior got pretty decent at pulling up for the 12-15 footer. Derrick either gets a lay up or he doesn't score.

If you think 10 ppg and 4.8 apg are "stud numbers bordering on all-conference," I don't even know how to respond. Look at a few of the other point guards in the league.

At DePaul, Young is averaging 16.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, and 4.4 apg;

At Georgetown, Starks is averaging 15.4 ppg and 4.9 apg;

At Providence, Cotton is averaging 18.6 ppg and 5.0 apg;

At Seton Hall Gibbs is averaging 14.0 ppg and 4.4 apg;

At Xavier, Christon is averaging 15.1 ppg and 4.4 apg.

Still think Derrick will make at least HM all-conference?

I am glad Derrick has shown improvement in terms of scoring, but to view him as worthy of all-conference honors, all I can say is "Wow."

Nukem2
12-06-2013, 09:30 AM
I seriously doubt Derrick will get any mention for all-conference. Love to be proven wrong, though. In the meantime, he needs to continue improving and getting more confident.

TheSultan
12-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Derrick is not an all conference point guard. Derrick is the best point guard on Marquette's roster.

MU_Iceman
12-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Hard to argue with any of this. I think MU will scrap and claw to stay close, but I see this being a 15 point game. Not excited at all.

To add to this....

The SDSU game has really taken a lot of my fandom out of this team. I was really encouraged with the ASU game even though it was a loss and then the first 2 games in Anaheim.

But watching this team vs. SDSU was demoralizing. Dumb plays. Dumb shots. Bad shooting. Bad FT shooting. I really think this team has some talent and leadership issues that need to be corrected soon.

This echos my sentiments to a "T". Normally, by Monday of badger week, I am off the walls hyped for the game. Not this year. This team has already sapped the normal excitement I have for not only this game, but the remainder of the season. Can they turn it around?? Sure, they can..but I will see it when I believe it. How many more losses will they endure before that happens?? I had them with one loss at this point in the season, and they already have 3. Amazingly, the script has been flipped for these two teams. MU is the team I thought would be top 10 at this point, and UW with the struggles in non conference. I have already resigned myself to the fact they may not make the NCAAs, which is absolutely stunning to me with the expectations this team had, and the talent they have.

Never before have I said this in public or in private, and believe me, it pains me to do so, but I am so "meh" on this team right now that I have NO thoughts that they win this game. Unfortunately, UW wins this one fairly comfortably. I hope they prove me wrong more than anyone, but I just don't see it, and I'm just not 'feeling it".

Nukem2
12-06-2013, 10:10 AM
This echos my sentiments to a "T". Normally, by Monday of badger week, I am off the walls hyped for the game. Not this year. This team has already sapped the normal excitement I have for not only this game, but the remainder of the season. Can they turn it around?? Sure, they can..but I will see it when I believe it. How many more losses will they endure before that happens?? I had them with one loss at this point in the season, and they already have 3. Amazingly, the script has been flipped for these two teams. MU is the team I thought would be top 10 at this point, and UW with the struggles in non conference. I have already resigned myself to the fact they may not make the NCAAs, which is absolutely stunning to me with the expectations this team had, and the talent they have.

Never before have I said this in public or in private, and believe me, it pains me to do so, but I am so "meh" on this team right now that I have NO thoughts that they win this game. Unfortunately, UW wins this one fairly comfortably. I hope they prove me wrong more than anyone, but I just don't see it, and I'm just not 'feeling it".

Well. lets not jump off the ledge here. Certainly this MU team is having backcourt difficulties and is experiencing growing pains. Will the team get past this, we shall see...? In the meantime, don't throw in the towel. Root for our Warriors. Don't be a naysayer or a fair-weather fan.

IWB
12-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Derrick is not an all conference point guard. Derrick is the best point guard on Marquette's roster.

Well said Sultan.

MUMac
12-06-2013, 08:46 PM

If they lose, then, please do not come with the same vitriolic crap you always come with. That goes for the remainder of the season, as well. And frankly, I would not care if you came back when MU starts rolling, either.

mufansince72
12-06-2013, 08:49 PM
I never thought I'd say this, and it really is hard to actually express these thoughts - and, I'm sure many will take issue. But in all honesty, I think UW has the advantage at all five positions.

Point - Derrick versus Jackson: Jackson is inconsistent, but he is able to break down defenses, get into the lane, and dish to open shooters. He is also capable of double-digit scoring himself, though he is streaky and inconsistent. As for Derrick, I'm actually pleased if he makes three baskets and scores six points. Sorry, but I find that sad.

Wings - Jake & Juan versus Gasser & Brust: Brust is somewhat inconsistent, but he can cause havoc when he's on. Jake can, too, but he's much less "on" and much more "off" than Brust. Gasser is a solid all-around player. Juan hustles and gets an occasional tip in or slam and he's become a solid rebounder, but Gasser is a terrific glue guy. Even if we shift in Mayo, I'd take Brust and Gasser before Todd.

The "4" - Jamil versus Decker: Decker has only shown glimpses of his star potential so far this year, and Jamil had a terrific half (20 points), but Decker always seems to contribute, while Jamil goes into his Houdini act and disappears far too often. Bottom line: if I had a choice of which one to play major minutes at the 4, I'd probably go with Decker.

Center - Davante/Chris versus Kaminsky: A month ago, I would have said this is a no-brainer with MU on the long end. But Kaminsky has looked very, very good - far better than I ever anticipated - and it's not just his 43-point shocker. He has looked GOOD, as he did last night against Virginia. Davante has been a mild disappointment so far, though it's not all his fault. We have trouble getting him the ball on the block. It would not surprise me one bit if Kaminsky outplays our center tandem on Saturday, and that, too me, is something I would not have thought possible even a few weeks ago.

Almost every other MU-UW game I can recall in the past 10-12 years, there was probably a 3-2 or 2-3 split between the two teams in terms of which players I would say are stronger among the top five. Right now, if I had to pick a starting line up among the top six/seven players on each team, I would probably go 5-0 in favor of UW.

I'm sure others don't see it that way, and it won't surprise me if my take raises the ire among some. But I just call it the way I see it, and at this point in the season, that's how I see it. I'm hoping that as the season progresses if I looked at the UW and MU line ups, I'd see things differently.

I agree with this analysis.

MU_Iceman
12-06-2013, 09:34 PM
If they lose, then, please do not come with the same vitriolic crap you always come with. That goes for the remainder of the season, as well. And frankly, I would not care if you came back when MU starts rolling, either.

Who the F*** cares what you think or what you want?? Tired of your BS egotistical holier than thou crap Mac. Makes me want to post my "viotrol" all the more just to Piss you off. Please don't tell me what the hell to do. Thanks. And did you even read what I wrote?? Obviously not...I EXPECT them to lose this game. Why would I come back and post any "vitrolic crap" if they lose a game I fully expect them to lose?? I told you, I'm not "feeling it" with this team anymore. I was before the season started in a big way, but their results on the floor thus far have made me bankrupt of the enthusiasm I usually have.

WarriorOMalley82
12-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Who the F*** cares what you think or what you want?? Tired of your BS egotistical holier than thou crap Mac. Makes me want to post my "viotrol" all the more just to Piss you off. Please don't tell me what the hell to do. Thanks.

Is there anyway both of you can keep your spoiled brat whining to just one of the three boards preferably not this on :mad:

MU_Iceman
12-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Is there anyway both of you can keep your spoiled brat whining to just one of the three boards preferably not this on :mad:

He's the one constantly attacking and complaining about my posts. I don't get it. I think he's obsessed with me. That's creepy.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-07-2013, 12:14 AM
At DePaul, Young is averaging 16.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, and 4.4 apg;

At Georgetown, Starks is averaging 15.4 ppg and 4.9 apg;

At Providence, Cotton is averaging 18.6 ppg and 5.0 apg;

At Seton Hall Gibbs is averaging 14.0 ppg and 4.4 apg;

At Xavier, Christon is averaging 15.1 ppg and 4.4 apg.

Still think Derrick will make at least HM all-conference?

He's not there yet, but all the people pining for Junior when Derrick is starting to put up honestly better numbers is just silly. Derrick is also outrebounding everyone on your list except Young, has the best A/T ratio of any of them (only Gibbs is really close), and you mention Cotton, who is Providence's shooting guard (Dunn is the primary point). He probably won't get the scoring numbers to get there since that's what most voters look at, but that kid has been much better than most are willing to give him credit for.

What's really sad is I'd say there's no doubt that Derrick Wilson is the most important player to Marquette's success this year and yet so many bag on him constantly without recognizing what he's contributing. On this team, I truly think he could by the end of the year be better for us than Junior Cadougan would be. June had great heart, but he also had the ability to single-handedly lose us a game. Derrick won't do that. And had he been at full-strength in the second half against SDSU, he probably would have won it.