PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hopfensberger article

Markedman
12-02-2013, 12:35 PM
One of MU's all time greats and a long time poster on JD's site(not sure if he has made it over here or not?)

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20131201/APC02/312010283/Basketball-still-Hopfensperger-s-blood?nclick_check=1

Nukem2
12-02-2013, 12:45 PM
At an MU event last year, I had the opportunity to be at a table with Hopfensberger and Coach Jerry Wainwright. Very interesting to listen to the two talk about the past.

Mark Miller
12-02-2013, 07:00 PM
CLass act all the way!!!!

MUMac
12-02-2013, 09:01 PM
He is a frequent visitor at MU games and the Courtside Club. I agree with Mark. I had the pleasure of joining Mark, Ted and Jerry at IWB's first Saturday Pro Am. Class act is spot on.

IWB
12-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Jerry has been on here a few times. Have known Jerry for years and consider him a very good friend, as well as his wife Ann and son Tim. Great people.

A few years back in a round about weird way, I was actually fortunate enough to introduce Jerry to Bill Russell. Jerry was excited to meet him as he played against him in his MU days. When Jerry told Bill Russell that, Bill started talking about it - Russell said it was a four team tourney in Chicago and he stated all four teams, talked about the stars from each team and how each game played out. It was amazing that Russell, after all his NBA titles, remembered some small tourney in Chicago, and Jerry was loving it.

If I remember correctly, when Jerry told Russell he was still playing ball, Russell asked if he was left handed. When he said yes, Russell told him if he was right handed he would have been smart enough to quit years ago. It was classic.

Jerry usually brings a crew of children and grandchildren to the fish fry and BBQ. One year his family took up two full table at the fish fry.

He also helped Rick Majerus a lot and has some great Majerus stories.

Again, Jerry is an all-time classic, one of my favorite guys, and since the article mentioned him caring for his wife, please send your prayers up for his wife Ann.

MUMac
12-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Jerry also has a granddaughter who is a Marquette student and a grandson who is a recent MU grad (and both are also Edgewood High School alums!).

Mark Miller
12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Jerry's wife is in rough shape -- dementia. Please pray for her and Jerry as they deal with this awful situation.

TedBaxter
12-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Jerry is one of the real good people in the world. He has some great stories and some great connections in the basketball world. Nice family as well and his wife is a tremendous person.

To say Jerry cares about Marquette and education in this state is a major understatement. Great, great educator and I'm grateful to be able to call him a good friend. Trips to Anderson, Proviso West and Indian Hills are just a few of our travels together and I can't say enough about the fossil. There's old and then there's Jerry. He knows I'm kidding.