PDA

View Full Version : Arizona St. Doing us no favors

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-01-2013, 02:53 PM
They are struggling against Miami who is way down this year... I was kind of hoping they'd look good so our loss would look better.

Markedman
12-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Carson got hurt

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/01/arizona-state-pg-jahii-carson-injures-ankle-in-loss-to-miami/

ValiantSailor
12-01-2013, 04:49 PM
We need to stop depending on others to "do us favors". Time do do it ourselves.

VS

kneelb4zerg
12-01-2013, 04:53 PM
We go through this nonsense every year. ASU is a quality team that beat us on their home court. It is a far cry from a bad loss. Their subsequent performance doesn't change that. We don't need to rely on favors from anyone.

MU_Iceman
12-01-2013, 05:57 PM
We need to stop depending on others to "do us favors". Time do do it ourselves.

VS

This +1000%. Please people get this idea out of your head that this loss or that loss looks better than this loss or that loss. In all my years of playing sports and watching sports, I do not EVER remember a "good" or "pretty" loss. There is NO such thing!! A loss by any other name is still a LOSS. :mad:

TheSultan
12-01-2013, 06:01 PM
This +1000%. Please people get this idea out of your head that this loss or that loss looks better than this loss or that loss. In all my years of playing sports and watching sports, I do not EVER remember a "good" or "pretty" loss. There is NO such thing!! A loss by any other name is still a LOSS. :mad:

Again, no one disputes that losing is bad. No...one...

MUMac
12-01-2013, 06:09 PM

You are absolutely correct. The only difference I have seen is some people can handle a loss with class and some cannot.

MU_Iceman
12-01-2013, 06:33 PM
You are absolutely correct. The only difference I have seen is some people can handle a loss with class and some cannot.

Leave it to you to make it about whether or not someone handles a loss with class. When that isn't even close to the point. Maybe to you. The point is, I see this CONSTANTLY, people talking about this team winning so "our loss looks better to them". To me, that's trying to justify or being "accepting" of a loss. It's trying to spin it that it was a "better, pretty, or not bad" of a loss. Those things do NOT exist. If you are ANY kind of a competitor, you never under any circumstances accept a loss, or somehow try to make it seem better. You get over it in time, and put it behind you, but you never accept it as being ok. Anyone that has ever played sports, or been around sports should know....there is no such thing as an "ugly" win, and there is no such thing as a "pretty or good" loss. That's the point here, yet people always try to spin it somehow. I just wish they wouldn't do that. It's fictional.

TheSultan
12-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Leave it to you to make it about whether or not someone handles a loss with class. When that isn't even close to the point. Maybe to you. The point is, I see this CONSTANTLY, people talking about this team winning so "our loss looks better to them". To me, that's trying to justify or being "accepting" of a loss. It's trying to spin it that it was a "better, pretty, or not bad" of a loss. Those things do NOT exist. If you are ANY kind of a competitor, you never under any circumstances accept a loss, or somehow try to make it seem better. You get over it in time, and put it behind you, but you never accept it as being ok. Anyone that has ever played sports, or been around sports should know....there is no such thing as an "ugly" win, and there is no such thing as a "pretty or good" loss. That's the point here, yet people always try to spin it somehow. I just wish they wouldn't do that. It's fictional.

I am fairly certain that Mac knows just as much or more about competing and winning than you do.

You simply lack the ability to understand what people are saying. No one says losing is good. People do say that building blocks for the future can come out of a loss. That doesn't make the loss less of a loss....and it doesn't make it good...that's it.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Not all losses are the same in the NCAA also... A lose against Grambling is much worse than a loss against Ohio St. ... Would you like to win both? Absolutely. But if you were to lose both they would absolutely be viewed differently come selection Sunday. That's why it benefits MU if Arizona St. Has a good season and finishes in the RPI top 50... If they turn out to be a Pac10 bottom feeder and fall below RPI 100 it absolutely does us no good... Now will that one loss determine our whole season? No, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Let's hope we come away with a good win tonight and we can discuss good wins as oppose to losses.

MUMac
12-01-2013, 06:56 PM

Ohio State was an ugly loss. After New Hampshire, many, including myself, were very concerned about the offense and the season as a whole. It was ugly at home against OSU, and some could say well, OSU is a top defensive team. New Hampshire is not. So, yes, seeing the offense click, MU come back from a 14 point deficit on the road to have a chance to win was a positive to take out of the game. That does not mean I or anyone were happy about the loss. We also understood that MU made a large step that day and I expect that they will use that going forward. Virtually everyone here, except for you, saw that and understood that. You just screamed and whined about losing.

There is no shame in losing on the road. We understood that the other school gave out 13 scholarships to players who were better at home that day than MU. Bobby Knight used to schedule tough non conference road games and go into the Big 10 season with several losses. He did not care as much about the early season losses, he used those as learning moments. They were building blocks to the Conference Season, which was a building block to the NCAA Tournament. MU will use the ASU game as a learning moment. Buzz saw that and understands that. Now, I am sure you believe you know more about winning and losing than Mr. Knight or Buzz and are likely more passionate about it as well.

Being a contrarian is one thing. You may, though, want to ask yourself, "if everyone feels I am wrong or out of line, maybe, just maybe I should look at my behavior."

Markedman
12-01-2013, 06:57 PM
New Hampshire was an ugly win........and we have played many good games and still lost.

The other team has a say in the result too.....sometimes you lose...and sometimes you get beat.....anybody who has ever played knows the difference even if they both count as losses in the ledger.

Buzz has already said that he believes the team found its identity in the loss to Arizona State.....so you might want to take up your "every loss is the same" idea with Buzz......

I can guarantee you that Buzz felt better about his team after the ASU game then he did after New Hampshire........so would anyone with a brain who watch both games.

warriorfan4life
12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
ASU is a very good offensive team (and pretty solid overall team) with a healthy Jahii Carson. He is one of the top few PG's in the country. Without him healthy, they are a half step above 2004-2005 Marquette without Diener.

MU_Iceman
12-01-2013, 07:57 PM
New Hampshire was an ugly win........and we have played many good games and still lost.

The other team has a say in the result too.....sometimes you lose...and sometimes you get beat.....anybody who has ever played knows the difference even if they both count as losses in the ledger.

Buzz has already said that he believes the team found its identity in the loss to Arizona State.....so you might want to take up your "every loss is the same" idea with Buzz......

I can guarantee you that Buzz felt better about his team after the ASU game then he did after New Hampshire........so would anyone with a brain who watch both games.

Well, That's pretty obvious...yes even I felt better about MU after they lost to Arizona St, then I did after beating New Hampshire. That still doesn't mean I preferred they found their identity while losing. You can do that during a win just as easily. In fact, I would have preferred it not have taken them that long to find their identity. I realize sh*t happens sometimes, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. If I had my way, MU would win every game they play, heck we all would, wouldn't we?? I'm sure Buzz feels the same way...that he wishes this team would have found their identity sooner than the Arizona St. game, or during the Arizona St. game but won they game still, don't you think?? Yes, this is total "pie in the sky" and not a realistic "what if", but since no one ever knows what's going to happen, what if we are all looking back on Selection Sunday and realizing that ASU loss was the difference between a #1 seed or a #2 seed?? Than how much would it sting?? Again, for those of you ready to jump on me... It's an unrealistic hypothetical! But, since no one here can predict the future, why not?? My point is, it can have an effect on things come March. Will it?? The season will have to play out before we can answer that.

Markedman
12-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Take a deep breath Ice...nobody wanted them to lose to ASU......

ok...on to SDSU.....lets win this one boys!

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-02-2013, 07:30 AM
In response to the "MU would win every game" comment, I would NOT like MU to win every game. Granted, I cheer for a win in every game, I want them to win each individual game, and I would love an undefeated season, but actually winning every game would be boring.

Anyone who actually competes understands that losing is part of life. You never want to lose, you always play to win, but losing is still an important part of the process. If you always win, you never win because without understanding the pain of losing, you can't truly appreciate the joy of winning.