PDA

View Full Version : Calling My Shot

warriorfan4life
12-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I think this Marquette team punctuates the trip out west with a double digit victory tonight. SDSU is a very solid team, but I think we execute better on both ends and control tempo and frustrate the Aztecs. Villanova made a strong statement for the Big East the last two nights, and I believe that Marquette reciprocates that with another strong statement win tonight.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Hoping your right, unfortunately this was kind of a weak tournament so it won't be quite the same statement that Nova made by beating two top 25 teams, however a win tonight and a win next Saturday would be quite a statement after the OSU game.

MUAlphaBangura
12-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Love your positivity Warrior! I think this tourney has a really solid field. Not great, but a lot of really good programs. It would be a great win tonight for the conference. Glad we played last week in a somewhat hostile environment in Tempe. Will help us tonight as this will definitely be a road game. I think the fellas are ready.

Markedman
12-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Hope you are right...Vegas has SDS as a 3 point favorite...should be a good one

warriorfan4life
12-01-2013, 11:01 PM
I'll own it, thought this team was ready for a big time performance. Needed Jamil and Todd to step up for Davante. We can win with one of them off, but not all three. SDSU us a very good defensive team, but Id still like a rematch in March.

mufansince72
12-01-2013, 11:03 PM
I'll own it, thought this team was ready for a big time performance. Needed Jamil and Todd to step up for Davante. We can win with one of them off, but not all three. SDSU us a very good defensive team, but Id still like a rematch in March.

I'd like a rematch in March too, but unless they improve greatly, they won't be dancing.

kneelb4zerg
12-01-2013, 11:04 PM
I'd like a rematch in March too, but unless they improve greatly, they won't be dancing.

Lololol. This again?

warriorfan4life
12-01-2013, 11:06 PM

We are hurting our seed, but this team will go dancing guaranteed. Showed a lot of good signs on the trip, and unlucky to lose both this game and ASU. Really could use a win in Madison now though.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-01-2013, 11:14 PM
We are hurting our seed, but this team will go dancing guaranteed. Showed a lot of good signs on the trip, and unlucky to lose both this game and ASU. Really could use a win in Madison now though.

out of curiosity, how many conf wins do you think we will need to win to get in now? Or what do you see as our path to the tourney?

mufansince72
12-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Lololol. This again?

In all likelihood, we are looking at a 5-4 team after UW. I think the team will improve as the year goes on, but it will take a lot of work to make the tourney. Might have to win the conference tournament.

MUfan12
12-01-2013, 11:18 PM
In all likelihood, we are looking at a 5-4 team after UW. I think the team will improve as the year goes on, but it will take a lot of work to make the tourney. Might have to win the conference tournament.

You play football, 72? Might have taken too many shots to the head. You keep repeating yourself.

Unless you think the BE is a one bid league, MU will make it.

kneelb4zerg
12-01-2013, 11:19 PM
You people have lost your minds. Good night.

mufansince72
12-01-2013, 11:32 PM
You play football, 72? Might have taken too many shots to the head. You keep repeating yourself.

Unless you think the BE is a one bid league, MU will make it.

I think we are probably a 3 or 4 bid league. I don't have MU in the top 4 in the conference at this point in time based on their play. Like I said, I think they will improve, but as of now I wouldn't have them in.

warriorfan4life
12-01-2013, 11:40 PM
out of curiosity, how many conf wins do you think we will need to win to get in now? Or what do you see as our path to the tourney?

I'd say 10-11 conference wins. Win either of the two upcoming big games, and you have a solid non-con profile with 1-2 good wins (depending on how GW does from here on out) and no bad losses. I think we win 13-14 conference games and this is a non issue, but we probably need to win both upcoming big games and that number of conference wins to see a 3-4 seed.

Now, Creighton and especially Xavier did mucho damage to their tournament hopes this weekend. I thought we were a lock five bid league before they decided to take five losses collectively, but now they both may need 11-7 in conference now for an at-large (and seeing that I have MU, Nova, and G-Town clearly ahead of them and a game trio of Butler, SJU, and Providence at their heels, it will be hard for them to get to 11 wins).

mufansince72
12-01-2013, 11:42 PM
3-4 seed. I want what you are smoking:)

warriorfan4life
12-01-2013, 11:50 PM
3-4 seed. I want what you are smoking:)

This team is farther along then the one last year that got a 3 seed (which would have had three losses at this point also if OSU game had not been cancelled). Now, with the conference not as good, there is not the margin of error of last year. Hence the importance to win one or both or remaining key non-conference games. Still, you have to be a basketball moron not to see the significant improvement over the last ten days. Today's game was not real pretty, but our two most important players had ailments for part or all of the game (and yes, Derrick Wilson is one of our two most important players).

mufansince72
12-01-2013, 11:51 PM
So you expect MU to be in the top 12-16 in the country when all is said and done? That is what it takes to be a 3 or 4 seed.

warriorfan4life
12-02-2013, 12:02 AM
So you expect MU to be in the top 12-16 in the country when all is said and done? That is what it takes to be a 3 or 4 seed.

I think they can have one of the top 12-16 tournament profiles. I did not think that last year's team was top 12 in the country (at least entering the NCAA's), but we got a 3 seed because of a strong profile.

MUAlphaBangura
12-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Lololol. This again?

This time I agree wholeheartedly!!!!!!;)

Markedman
12-02-2013, 09:03 AM
It will be difficult to get that kind of profile in the New Big East.....Nova has a chance with their start.

To me last nights game came down to free thorw shooting, turnovers, and offensive boards for SDS. We continue to struggle at the line missing 10 frree throws including at least 2 front ends of the bonus by Davante no less.

He was sick so I will give him a pass but we just aren't going to win many games shooting like that from the line. Derrick slipped giving them a free basket,,,,Jake turns it over in the back court giving them a free basket.

Game is much different if those 2 areas are different but obviously they weren't.

Too bad...the game was there for the taking even with a mediocre performance on our part.

kneelb4zerg
12-02-2013, 09:14 AM
It will be difficult to get that kind of profile in the New Big East.....Nova has a chance with their start.

To me last nights game came down to free thorw shooting, turnovers, and offensive boards for SDS. We continue to struggle at the line missing 10 frree throws including at least 2 front ends of the bonus by Davante no less.

He was sick so I will give him a pass but we just aren't going to win many games shooting like that from the line. Derrick slipped giving them a free basket,,,,Jake turns it over in the back court giving them a free basket.

Game is much different if those 2 areas are different but obviously they weren't.

Too bad...the game was there for the taking even with a mediocre performance on our part.

Last night's loss was more infuriating than the other two, as I agree with your last sentence for sure. I am trying to tell myself to just enjoy the ride -- warts and all, the team will continue fighting and there is plenty of talent on hand -- but they should have taken last night's game for a variety of reasons and I am having a hard time getting past that.

warriorfan4life
12-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Last night's loss was more infuriating than the other two, as I agree with your last sentence for sure. I am trying to tell myself to just enjoy the ride -- warts and all, the team will continue fighting and there is plenty of talent on hand -- but they should have taken last night's game for a variety of reasons and I am having a hard time getting past that.

Yes and no. It was a winnable even with all of the issues, but I think this team is not quite ready to overcome their best player being rendered ineffective, their PG losing a step cause of a groin/hip, and our best scoring guard playing with a bum ankle and broken nose. We needed Jamil to step up with a big game, and that was the frustrating part (and part of my faith in the team being really good is Jamil getting it).

kneelb4zerg
12-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Since when does Mayo have a broken nose?

warriorfan4life
12-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Since when does Mayo have a broken nose?

That's what Dr. Blackheart, who was with the traveling party in Anaheim, posted on Scoop.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-03-2013, 02:54 PM
My biggest issue with this team has been Jamil, no doubt. Whether he can have NBA success or not, whether he can follow in the footsteps of Jae and Jimmy at the next level, he can definitely be an excellent player at this level. Without a doubt he has the ability to be all-conference or more. He put up double-figures in points throughout the back half of last season and seemed to be finding consistency. The kid can clearly rebound, shoot, and create his own shot. But the bone-headed fouls and the inconsistency in his assertiveness just kills me.

TheSultan
12-03-2013, 02:56 PM
That's what Dr. Blackheart, who was with the traveling party in Anaheim, posted on Scoop.

I thought he said he "thought" he broke his nose.