PDA

View Full Version : The last playI

MUMac
11-26-2013, 05:20 AM
I was perplexed last night as to why DW took the last shot, driving the lane into their shot blocker. Thinking about it over night, I wonder if JJJ was in the wrong spot.

As I replay the play in my head, Jake rotated to the top of the key and was covered. JJJ was on the other side of the court by the 3 point line. Davante and Chris were down low. JJJ being on the opposite side took away a passing opportunity for DW. His defender played off of him, clogging the lane and creating traffic where Davante and Chris were not open. It also allowed the big to come over to make the play against DW. Lastly, it took away a potential kick out 3 to JJJ, if his man played help d against the penetration.

I think the play was for DW to penetrate and look for either Davante down low or a kick out to either JJJ or Jake as the first and second options. A shot for him if he had a clear lane to the hoop.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Doesn't seem right to me. Pretty sure Juan was under the hoop on that, he was unable to provide any semblance of a screen or threat. Couldn't figure out why he was out there when I watched the replay, unless it was simply to have the next closest thing to Jamil on the floor.

MUMac
11-26-2013, 07:50 AM
I did not watch the replay, you are likely correct, Juan was in there in place of Chris. I am guessing he was there for a potential put back. JJJ was to the far side, though. That is what did not make sense to me.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-26-2013, 08:30 AM
That play just didn't go well, and I think Otule being in there would have helped. Derrick didn't really have anywhere to pass the ball because as you note, Jajuan was out of position and Bachynski was too big to get the ball past him to Juan under the rim. And of course, all 6'6" and 210 or so of Juan Anderson was never going to be able to effectively help seal the lane the way Otule would have.

Just go win 3 in Anaheim and all will be forgotten. Love to see ASU again. I think we'd beat them the second time of asking.

TheSultan
11-26-2013, 08:40 AM
I did not watch the replay, you are likely correct, Juan was in there in place of Chris. I am guessing he was there for a potential put back. JJJ was to the far side, though. That is what did not make sense to me.

Yeah I bet he was on the wrong side of the floor.

MU/Panther
11-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Buzz said to atttack the basket.

Markedman
11-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Apparently they were trying to go inside to Gardner on the last full possession but weren’t able to get it to him according to Derrick.

MUMac
11-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Apparently they were trying to go inside to Gardner on the last full possession but weren’t able to get it to him according to Derrick.

That is why I think JJJ being on the wrong side hurt. Brought another defender into the lane and JJJ could be covered by space. Follows what my initial thought was in this post. Davante was option 1, a kick out option 2 and DW shooting option 3.

I know they practice these situations. Not sure they spent much time on it this early in the season. I would be with JJJ in there again, he will be positioned right.