PDA

View Full Version : The bright side...

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Considering we started the game down 14-3, after that point we out scored them the rest of the game by 9... And while there are no moral victories, we scored 77 pts, the offense looked vastly improved, and this team showed a flash of what I think we all hoped to see this year. Now we need to see if they can sustain it, but to everyone getting close to the edge I think you can step back a bit.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-25-2013, 11:03 PM
And this includes me, I was getting close to panic myself.

unclejohn
11-25-2013, 11:15 PM
We beat the spread.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Buzz needs to start the best unit from the get go. Starting Derrick, Jake, Juan and Otule together is going to lead to a lot of quick deficits in my opinion. Obviously one of the contributing factors to our loss tonight.

It should be Derrick, Jake, JJJ, Jamil, Gardner starting the game.

warriorfan4life
11-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Buzz needs to start the best unit from the get go. Starting Derrick, Jake, Juan and Otule together is going to lead to a lot of quick deficits in my opinion. Obviously one of the contributing factors to our loss tonight.

I'd keep Otule in there and agree with JJJ for now, but put Mayo in that spot once he is healthy. I like Chris to keep the defense strong down low, plus fear that Gardner would pick up two quick fouls a lot of nights. The 7-2 guy whooped us down low tonight, but I think Chris can give us a fair amount on both ends to start games.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-26-2013, 07:07 AM

Otule will start every game he is healthy. And with Jajuan's inconsistency, he's not ready to be a regular starter. Yes, last night was impressive, but that's the only truly good game he's had all season. Grambling doesn't count.

AbovetheRim
11-26-2013, 07:33 AM
Otule will start every game he is healthy. And with Jajuan's inconsistency, he's not ready to be a regular starter. Yes, last night was impressive, but that's the only truly good game he's had all season. Grambling doesn't count.

Realistically, couldn't we say this about everybody playing ahead of him? The numbers sure seem to agree.

IrwinFletcher
11-26-2013, 07:58 AM
I think if you insert Mayo in for Jaun, that gives you some balance in your rotation.

Mayo would be the primary scorer for the first unit and then Davante would be the primary scorer with the second unit.

TulsaWarrior
11-26-2013, 08:14 AM
At this point after the track record Buzz has established as a fan I would refrain from offering him advice. I'd sit back and watch the team develop. I'd also have a beer and chips on hand. ;-) It will take some time for this team to find itself. Another year another challenge in putting the pieces together.

TrevorCandelino
11-26-2013, 08:16 AM
The second half of this game was the first time this season that Marquette looked like a Buzz Williams team. That means they have it in them as a team.....

Buzz will find a way to bring that out on a more consistent basis.....

To me, that is the most encouraging development from last night's game.......

pbiflyer
11-26-2013, 08:18 AM
At this point after the track record Buzz has established as a fan I would refrain from offering him advice. I'd sit back and watch the team develop. I'd also have a beer and chips on hand. ;-) It will take some time for this team to find itself. Another year another challenge in putting the pieces together.

Nicely said!

11-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Realistically, couldn't we say this about everybody playing ahead of him? The numbers sure seem to agree.

They definitely don't if you look at both ends of the court. Jajuan is still figuring it out on defense, and you pretty much have to run zone to get him into the game. Even then he sometimes isn't sure of where to be. As far as the guys ahead of him, they all have issues. Jake couldn't get his shot to fall but knew where to be. Juan hasn't been putting up points, but he's getting rebounds, making hustle plays, and doesn't hog the ball on offense. Mayo was the only one to put up any consistent numbers, though admittedly it's because he's pretty much a black hole when the ball gets to him.

Regardless, all three have been better on defense, which is where it starts. As Jajuan gets the defense and starts to show consistency, he'll earn time. I think he's progressing just fine. Looking forward to him getting some more run Thursday.

kneelb4zerg
11-26-2013, 08:31 AM
They definitely don't if you look at both ends of the court. Jajuan is still figuring it out on defense, and you pretty much have to run zone to get him into the game. Even then he sometimes isn't sure of where to be. As far as the guys ahead of him, they all have issues. Jake couldn't get his shot to fall but knew where to be. Juan hasn't been putting up points, but he's getting rebounds, making hustle plays, and doesn't hog the ball on offense. Mayo was the only one to put up any consistent numbers, though admittedly it's because he's pretty much a black hole when the ball gets to him.

Regardless, all three have been better on defense, which is where it starts. As Jajuan gets the defense and starts to show consistency, he'll earn time. I think he's progressing just fine. Looking forward to him getting some more run Thursday.

Definitely agree on his defense. JJJ seemed to give back almost as many points as he scored. But glad that he made some nice contributions.

TheSultan
11-26-2013, 08:39 AM
JJJ is just a step slow on knowing where he needs to be. But I think he's going to be just fine in a few weeks.

Deonte on the other hand. He's tough and he hustles, but he looks real lost on that end of the floor.

11-26-2013, 08:42 AM
They're freshmen. Plenty of time to mature. As long as they start to figure it out by mid-February we'll be fine.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Definitely agree on his defense. JJJ seemed to give back almost as many points as he scored. But glad that he made some nice contributions.

I saw it differently. I thought the kid played real well on defense. On the ball and off the ball as well as on the boards.

IWB
11-26-2013, 10:28 AM
At this point after the track record Buzz has established as a fan I would refrain from offering him advice.

When Buzz finally addressed the media after the New Hampshire game, he specifically mentioned all of the people that have been texting and e-mailing him suggestions on how to fix the shooting, saying what they could do to help the team with shooting etc.

He did not seem to appreciate all of the texts and e-mails, but then again, I could see how Irritated he could be with a bunch of family room coaches telling him how to do his job.

pbiflyer
11-26-2013, 10:33 AM
When Buzz finally addressed the media after the New Hampshire game, he specifically mentioned all of the people that have been texting and e-mailing him suggestions on how to fix the shooting, saying what they could do to help the team with shooting etc.

He did not seem to appreciate all of the texts and e-mails, but then again, I could see how Irritated he could be with a bunch of family room coaches telling him how to do his job.

Are you going to be issuing him a cease and desist letter? :D

Markedman
11-26-2013, 10:43 AM
My bright side was 18 assists to just 4 turnovers which allowed us to almost beat a team that out shot us from the field and from 3 by wide margins.

We also out rebounded them which is another sign of good effort.

MUMac
11-26-2013, 10:52 AM
So are we now not supposed to discuss our thoughts and what we saw, would like to see, because we can be interpreted as trying to coach over Buzz? For Christ sakes, I thought this was a message board. I guess I was wrong.

11-26-2013, 10:59 AM
So are we now not supposed to discuss our thoughts and what we saw, would like to see, because we can be interpreted as trying to coach over Buzz? For Christ sakes, I thought this was a message board. I guess I was wrong.

I think Buzz was specifically referencing people who sent him personal emails and texts telling him how to do his job from the comfort of their recliner, not message board hacks like us whose material he never sees.

IWB
11-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Exactly 77 - People have literally been texting and e-mailing Buzz with suggestions on how to improve the shooting.

Markedman
11-26-2013, 11:05 AM
I think Buzz looks for reasons to get himself pissed off when things aren’t going well…..he likes having that “edge”…”me and my team against the world…everybody thinks we stink…..nobody thinks I know what I’m doing”

Every coach has to deal with fans, media and family members giving them advice when things aren’t going well……goes with the territory

MUMac
11-26-2013, 11:21 AM
I have no issue with Buzz being bothered by those things. I do,though, question posters who say on a message board to let Buzz coach. Can't we talk about what we would have done anymore without the canned responses of defense and attack?

IWB
11-26-2013, 11:40 AM
I guess I just don't understand why any fan would ever feel it is up to them to text or e-mail a high major head coach with a boat load of experience, suggestions on how to help him do his job.

Markedman
11-26-2013, 11:42 AM
I agree Jim it’s dumb…..Buzz might need to stop giving his phone number out to everybody that asks for it?

11-26-2013, 12:50 PM
I have no issue with Buzz being bothered by those things. I do,though, question posters who say on a message board to let Buzz coach. Can't we talk about what we would have done anymore without the canned responses of defense and attack?

I think one of the problems is some people go way overboard. Take a look at Stewie in the game thread. You get 2-3 of those types (or 20-30 on Scoop) and suddenly every loss is Armageddon. The constant badgering becomes pretty darned annoying and repetitive. Buzz has established himself pretty well here, and I don't think there's anything wrong with preaching patience when all we've seen on an annual basis is his teams get better and better as we get closer to March.

MUMac
11-26-2013, 01:54 PM
I think one of the problems is some people go way overboard. Take a look at Stewie in the game thread. You get 2-3 of those types (or 20-30 on Scoop) and suddenly every loss is Armageddon. The constant badgering becomes pretty darned annoying and repetitive. Buzz has established himself pretty well here, and I don't think there's anything wrong with preaching patience when all we've seen on an annual basis is his teams get better and better as we get closer to March.

I agree with that. I did not see that in this thread. I also did not see anyone suggest they would text or email Buzz in this thread. My point was that we had discussion, one poster chimes in to let Buzz coach the team. Another takes it further to speak about those that have texted and emailed Buzz. As I said, which has drawn the responses, can't we discuss strategy and how we would have done it differently on this board? Do we have to get an admonishment to let Buzz coach or a lecture?

Carry on. To me, I just get tired of those canned responses when anyone discusses strategy.

IWB
11-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Someone jokingly said that they were going to contact Buzz, I was just pointing out that it really already was happening. Nothing wrong with discussing strategy or what we would have done differently.

Mucrisco
11-26-2013, 02:06 PM
I agree with that. I did not see that in this thread. I also did not see anyone suggest they would text or email Buzz in this thread. My point was that we had discussion, one poster chimes in to let Buzz coach the team. Another takes it further to speak about those that have texted and emailed Buzz. As I said, which has drawn the responses, can't we discuss strategy and how we would have done it differently on this board? Do we have to get an admonishment to let Buzz coach or a lecture?

Carry on. To me, I just get tired of those canned responses when anyone discusses strategy.

Yeah, I mostly come on the boards to discuss the X's and O's.

Markedman
11-26-2013, 02:14 PM
I view the in-game threads like watching the game with your buddies. You make observations, complaints, compliments and question strategy and at times whine about officials.

Once the game is over more rational conversation returns......=)

IWB
11-26-2013, 02:55 PM
That is how it is supposed to work Markedman, but not reality.

TulsaWarrior
11-26-2013, 07:29 PM
There comes a point, and it is now, where Buzz needs to put a wall up protecting himself from the well meaning crazies. Those contacting him should ask "am I being presumptuous?" But IWB if you have a chance to talk to him let him know the "Tulsa Warrior" thinks he should start Dylan Flood at the point. I have some tips on how to improve outside shooting and the team's celebrations after a victory. Also Al, Hank and Rick speak to me directly and want me to pass on information on a regular basis to him.

IWB
11-26-2013, 07:52 PM
I have never ever once told him what I thought he should do, unless he asked.

AbovetheRim
11-26-2013, 08:19 PM
I have never ever once told him what I thought he should do, unless he asked.

Imagine how may "experts" and "crazies" would come out of the woodwork at Texas, the largest university in the US. Sorry, but I had to. :D

IWB
11-26-2013, 10:02 PM
I thought that Phoenix was the largest University in the US?

TheSultan
11-27-2013, 07:46 AM
I thought that Phoenix was the largest University in the US?

You are correct.

Even if you only include single campus, non-profit, four year schools only, Texas is behind Arizona State, Liberty, Central Florida and Ohio State.