PDA

View Full Version : VCU vs Georgetown

Mucrisco
11-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Who are you guys rooting for? On one hand, a Gtown win would be good for the conference. On the other hand, I hate Gtown's style of play and I love VCU's philosophy. However, Gtown seems to be the one blocking VCU's entry into the Big East. So, does a VCU win prove that they belong? Or does a Gtown win prove to Gtown that they are the better program anyway and have nothing to worry about. Then again, they may claim that VCU is beneath them, and don't belong.

I know who I am rooting for. What about you?

Nukem2
11-24-2013, 12:09 PM
G-Town as a BE team....no question.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-24-2013, 02:32 PM
gtown, big east needs as many quality ooc wins as possible

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-24-2013, 05:29 PM
And Georgetown pulls off the upset. Will definitely help wipe some of the stink of that Northeastern loss off.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Hopefully, VCU got wasted by FSU... Let's hope VCU doesn't turn out to be overrated.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Hopefully, VCU got wasted by FSU... Let's hope VCU doesn't turn out to be overrated.

I think they are. Last year's VCU team didn't really beat anyone (Josh Pastner's Memphis never beats anyone half-decent) and while they return most of it, what did they do? Beat Butler once at home? Beating Virginia away was impressive, but that slow-down style makes it easier to keep it close. I'm sure they'll get in and probably get a decent seed, but until they get a few more significant wins (which with their schedule won't happen for 3-4 months) I think they're just going to be a team that is well-ranked without really earning it.

warriorfan4life
11-24-2013, 08:50 PM
I think they are. Last year's VCU team didn't really beat anyone (Josh Pastner's Memphis never beats anyone half-decent) and while they return most of it, what did they do? Beat Butler once at home? Beating Virginia away was impressive, but that slow-down style makes it easier to keep it close. I'm sure they'll get in and probably get a decent seed, but until they get a few more significant wins (which with their schedule won't happen for 3-4 months) I think they're just going to be a team that is well-ranked without really earning it.

I basically agree with you, but VCU being overrated means a Georgetown win over them win earn more acclaim then it necessarily should. Big win for the conference, and hopefully PC keeps it going tonight against La Salle (who has struggled so far this year but made Sweet 16 a year ago) and of course the good guys tomorrow night.

Mucrisco
11-24-2013, 09:05 PM
I was rooting for VCU.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-24-2013, 09:17 PM
I was rooting for VCU.

Because of your desire for VCU to get an invite into our conference? I think A LOT more than a win by VCU over Gtown would have to take place to get VCU an invite to the conference.

Mucrisco
11-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I like their style of play. Usually, I root for the conference, but not this time. Actually, I never find myself rooting for Gtown, and I say that having rooted for Louisville, Cuse, and even Cinci in the past. I've never liked them, dating all the way back to Alonzo Mourning.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-24-2013, 10:20 PM
oh gotcha. Even if their wins benefit us and our conference huh?

Mucrisco
11-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Yeah. The way I see it, those things work themselves out for us. By the time the conference season is ending, and we get into Championship Week, we know where we stand, as far as trying to get into the tourney or a better seed. Wins like that are probably good for perception of the conference and recruiting, but Buzz is all about building relationships, and I believe that's the most important thing for recruiting. Once the dance begins, that's when I really root for the conference. I don't worry about RPI and all that stuff during the season. I just enjoy basketball for what it is.

MUMac
11-25-2013, 05:56 AM
I am with Crisco. I have a tough time ever pulling for Georgetown. Never really liked the program, never liked the coaches. I also don't get hung up on how the conference ranks and RPI. If MU takes care of their business, that is all that matters to me come tourney time.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-25-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm one of the guys who roots for anything that will benefit Marq. Admittedly it probably prevents me from having a more pure bball viewing experience and enjoying the game for what it is as Crisco points out, but I want any bump in RPI, rankings, etc for our boys.