PDA

View Full Version : The road ahead

Nukem2
11-22-2013, 09:40 AM
To date this Fall, MU has played at home with the 2 scrimmages at The Al and the first four games all at the BC. Over the next 15 days, we have 5 games away from the friendly confines of home. 3 are on enemy courts at ASU, Fullerton and UW with 2 games on neutral courts in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the Wooden Legacy.

Will be interesting to see how this team handles the road after being home to-date. Can the team resolve some of its offensive issues over this span? Will this team be road-worthy? Its early, but this period of time is probably going to tell us a lot about this team.

Certainly Buzz has challenged this team with his lengthy post-game locker room "chat" last night.

In the meantime, Kem Pom has MU at 67, the RPI is 147 and Ken Pom now has MU going 7-11 in BE play and 15-14 overall.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Ouch, at that prediction we are looking at the NIT. It's too soon to doom this team, but it's also pretty hard to be optimistic. I'm really hoping Buzz can light a fire and they come out guns a blazing Monday.

MUfan12
11-22-2013, 11:06 AM
I know it gets brought up every year... but I wonder if some more pressure defensively might help get them going. When they've been flat in past years, Buzz has gone to it, and it has worked pretty well.

They clearly need something to get them out of this malaise. I wonder if starting the game with intense, full court pressure might help wake them up a bit. And if it gets a few turnovers and easy buckets, maybe it gets the offense ticking.

Just a thought.

IrwinFletcher
11-22-2013, 11:16 AM
I know it gets brought up every year... but I wonder if some more pressure defensively might help get them going. When they've been flat in past years, Buzz has gone to it, and it has worked pretty well.

They clearly need something to get them out of this malaise. I wonder if starting the game with intense, full court pressure might help wake them up a bit. And if it gets a few turnovers and easy buckets, maybe it gets the offense ticking.

Just a thought.

I am curious as to people's thoughts on the defensive side of things. I thought everyone played very hard last night, especially the perimeter guys. Numbers wise we held OSU down pretty well though the 2nd half wasn't strong.

I also thought the ball movement was pretty good as well, but when guys aren't hitting shots and then afraid to take shots because they aren't hitting shots, it looks worse than what it was.

I think if they can have a couple of games where shots go in, things might change.

AND RECRUIT SOME SHOOTERS !!!!

warriorfan4life
11-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Just a thought.

If we are going to start with Derrick, Juan, and Chris then why not. JJJ would also be much more comfortable in a full court press, and his high school team primarily played zone and pressure defense. I think we will return to playing that way next year.

Now, I would counter that by saying the defense is playing very well and it may not be worth risking the team strength by trying to jump start the struggling unit.

Markedman
11-22-2013, 11:17 AM
I think with the new rules teams may be reluctant to press as much this year. You could pile up the fouls awfully quick.

The guards need to attack…that is what is missing from past years more then anything. When things got tough in years past Junior, Vander, DJO, and guys like Jimmy would force themselves into the paint……try to make a layup, get fouled or dish it to someone else for a layup or an open look.

Not sure if it is a mindset problem or a skill set issue with the current guys but that is what I see as the big difference.

MUfan12
11-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Now, I would counter that by saying the defense is playing very well and it may not be worth risking the team strength by trying to jump start the struggling unit.

I thought about that as well. And markedman made a good point about the new rules.

The other thing I thought about is this... Buzz still hasn't found a lineup that has gelled quite yet. So, the subbing/rotating that happens more often in that scenario isn't as much of a factor.

Like I said, just a thought I was kicking around.

warriorfan4life
11-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I think with the new rules teams may be reluctant to press as much this year. You could pile up the fouls awfully quick.

The guards need to attack…that is what is missing from past years more then anything. When things got tough in years past Junior, Vander, DJO, and guys like Jimmy would force themselves into the paint……try to make a layup, get fouled or dish it to someone else for a layup or an open look.

Not sure if it is a mindset problem or a skill set issue with the current guys but that is what I see as the big difference.

On this team, that responsibility falls on Mayo and Jamil. Mayo is certainly willing and able, and has been the best and only volume scorer for us this year. Need Jamil to get himself to the bucket and line, and not be solely a perimeter shooter (he can shoot it, but is not a Novak that can make a living out there).

Also, Gardner needs to start playing like a beast again. He is not responding well to the preseason praise, and needs to go back to making a living in the post and occasionally branching outside and not vice versa like it has been so far this season.

mutpm
11-22-2013, 11:55 AM

I agree the team needs to have an attack mentality. The problem right now is that they are struggling to do that against defenses that are packing 5 defenders within 15 feet of the basket. There is no need to defend MU to arc right now. There were a couple of possessions last night where there was a pass to the post and there were immediately 3 defenders there. Much easier to give help when you don't need to worry about spreading the floor.

MUfan12
11-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Someone mentioned the ball movement as a positive, and they did move the ball much more quickly. The problem, as you said, is that no one attacked the seams in the zone.

That was one thing Junior was especially good at. Unfortunately, Jake and Derrick don't seem to be capable of it.