PDA

View Full Version : Two-Minute Stretch

Phantom Warrior
11-22-2013, 01:09 AM
During a two minute stretch (3:30 left in the game to 1:30 left in the game, I was just flabbergasted by our decision-making on offense.

1.With 3:33 left in the game and the score 51-41, Davante drives into traffic and takes an off-balance shot with 16 seconds left on the shot clock. Fortunately, he was fouled, but he started his move with just under 20 seconds on the shot clock. He made one of two free throws, but it was a forced shot with plenty of time to take more time off the clock.

2. With 2:57 left in the game and MU up 52-41, Thomas takes a long three and misses with 13 seconds on the shot clock. He actually released the shot with about 16 seconds left on the clock.

3. With 2:23 left in the game and the score 52-44 (after a NH trey), Mayo drives to the basket and misses a lay up with 17 seconds left on the shot clock. He started his move with about 20 seconds on the clock.

4. With 2:07 left in the game and the score still 52-44, Jamil launches a trey from the corner with 19 seconds left on the shot clock. He actually released the shot with 22 seconds left.

5. With 1:35 left in the game and the score 53-44, Davante launches a 16-footer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock and misses.

New Hampshire was not pressuring us; they were still in a 2-3 zone, and we were passing the ball around the perimeter. On those five possessions, there were still a combined total of 1' 25" of unused shot clock, and if you include the time from when the shot was launched or the move initiated, the total was closer to 1'40".

I'm not advocating last-second heaves/prayers, but we certainly could have taken more time off the clock during that two-minute stretch and still ended up with a decent shot with 4 to 6 seconds on the shot clock.

People may say I'm being overly picky, but the clock is our friend on each of those possessions. I just don't think we did a very good job of managing the clock on any of those possessions.

We managed to hold on, but NH did cut the lead to four. If they make one more trey, it would have been a one-point game.

And don't forget, three of NH's starters, including their leading scorer had already fouled out. They had three reserves in the game during this period.

Five possessions over a two-minute period where, in my mind, we took five questionable shots and came away with one made free throw on those five possessions.

MUMac
11-22-2013, 05:06 AM
I did notice the early shots late in the game, as well. I had wondered if Buzz was trying more to work on the offense, than concerned about the game situation. I don't know that the shots were questionable, outside of Gardner's, without the time element. It did not appear that Buzz was upset with this, either.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Great post. I have to piggy back off of MUMac's thoughts and must think thta they (and Buzz) were not concerned about the game situation but were playing like it was a normal possession. Whether you agree with this approach or not is a different story.

Phantom Warrior
11-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I agree it did not appear Buzz was disturbed by the early shots. At least he did not pull any player out and talk to him. I just found it very curious. I wonder what Buzz would say if he were asked about those possessions.

MUMac
11-22-2013, 09:14 AM
I agree it did not appear Buzz was disturbed by the early shots. At least he did not pull any player out and talk to him. I just found it very curious. I wonder what Buzz would say if he were asked about those possessions.

He might say that he is looking for a combination that can provide some offense.