PDA

View Full Version : Ray of hope?

IrwinFletcher
11-21-2013, 09:58 PM
We can't be this bad of a 3-point shoot team, can we?

I would hazard a guess that all but a couple of the 21 3pointers taken tonight were good looks and open. And we hit 16%. Most of the misses were not even close.

But can we be that bad for a whole season? I mean, some of these guys have had success in college and all have had success in HS. Is this just a funk these guys are in or a harbinger of things to come for the rest of the season.

I am holding out hope that if we can continue to get these good looks, they will start going in and things will loosen up inside.

kneelb4zerg
11-21-2013, 10:01 PM
As I said in another thread, this team, like last years team, shouldn't be launching that many 3's to begin with. But yeah, they aren't really this bad at shooting, there just aren't enough quality shots.

MUAlphaBangura
11-22-2013, 12:41 PM
As I said in another thread, this team, like last years team, shouldn't be launching that many 3's to begin with. But yeah, they aren't really this bad at shooting, there just aren't enough quality shots.

This game there were plenty of quality shots. Most were open looks. At the angle I had, Many of our guys are fading or off balance when they shoot. Really hard to make a shot, covered or not, when you are leaning one way or another. Think they watch too much NBA , as they see those guys do the same thing, except they are professionals and are capable of making an off balance shot. If our guys squared up, they would shoot a whole lot better.

Nukem2
11-22-2013, 01:47 PM
This game there were plenty of quality shots. Most were open looks. At the angle I had, Many of our guys are fading or off balance when they shoot. Really hard to make a shot, covered or not, when you are leaning one way or another. Think they watch too much NBA , as they see those guys do the same thing, except they are professionals and are capable of making an off balance shot. If our guys squared up, they would shoot a whole lot better.That's what we saw when Jake hit his two shot. The ball was rotated quickly and they found Jake wide open and he squared up and hit bottom of net. He tends to turn his body or lean back when contested.

warriorfan4life
11-22-2013, 02:33 PM
This game there were plenty of quality shots. Most were open looks. At the angle I had, Many of our guys are fading or off balance when they shoot. Really hard to make a shot, covered or not, when you are leaning one way or another. Think they watch too much NBA , as they see those guys do the same thing, except they are professionals and are capable of making an off balance shot. If our guys squared up, they would shoot a whole lot better.

They were open looks, but not quality shots. The shots were open because NH was keeping the ball from coming inside and hoping that Marquette would swing the ball on the outside and fire up. I do not mind us firing up a perimeter look, if the ball has come inside through pass on dribble penetration. That was not happening last night, and not enough in the Ohio State (and our zone forced OSU into many shots before the ball went inside). I figure that we will have to utilize most of the shot clock on each possession in order to generate a quality look, and have no issue with that. I would rather score 70 points on 60 possessions then 58 points on 66 possessions.

To answer MUFan12's point, Derrick Wilson does drive inside against zones but Todd Mayo did at times. I thought that Mayo played a really solid game yesterday, not forcing looks or driving out of control, and making a few pull-up shots in the lane. He was only 1-4 from three, but all of the shots came off either dribble penetration or designed plays.

We will go as far as Mayo, Gardner, and Jamil lead us on offense, with some help from the role players in hitting some open shots and doing the dirty work on the glass.