PDA

View Full Version : OT: UNC looking at possibly replacing the Dean Dome.

The Reptile
11-19-2013, 11:17 AM
I realize that replacing the BC has been a big topic of discussion recently. Those who are advocating for it have some new ammo to fire - UNC is looking at a massive renovation or ought right replacement of the Dean Dome. For those who don't know, the Dean Dome is slightly larger than the BC and a couple of years older. The reason? Club seating and more boxes. In other words, revenue. The school expects to pay for the project they select through ticket sales and donations.

So, if a college team needs to do this to remain competitive in their view then why not a pro team and major market city?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-19-2013, 11:43 AM
I'd imagine UNC has far more boosters to donate than the Bucks do. Alumni donations can go a long way at a big university like that. I could be completely wrong though. For the Bucks there "boosters" are the tax payers, and the donations those "boosters" make come in the form of taxes. UNC's boosters have a rooting interest, the Milwaukee tax payers don't really feel like they do. I for one would be oaky with extending the Miller Park tax to build a new BC and so a big project to bring downtown alive, I however know I'm dreaming.

mufansince72
11-19-2013, 11:56 AM
I can see it now, the Air Jordan Center at Dean Smith Park!

IWB
11-19-2013, 12:21 PM
So, if a college team needs to do this to remain competitive in their view then why not a pro team and major market city?

North Carolina isn't doing this to remain competitive, they are doing this to make cash. They are at the top of the food chain of college hoops, and the only things you do to "remain competitive" revolves around recruiting, and putting in club seating and luxury boxes does nothing for the recruits. This is about the almighty dollar for UNC.

mutpm
11-19-2013, 12:36 PM
I'd imagine UNC has far more boosters to donate than the Bucks do. Alumni donations can go a long way at a big university like that. I could be completely wrong though. For the Bucks there "boosters" are the tax payers, and the donations those "boosters" make come in the form of taxes. UNC's boosters have a rooting interest, the Milwaukee tax payers don't really feel like they do. I for one would be oaky with extending the Miller Park tax to build a new BC and so a big project to bring downtown alive, I however know I'm dreaming.

While this is true, it's going to take a lot of donors to build a new arena. There is probably some crossover in donors that the university would like to tap for university priorities (scholarships, chairs, dorms, academic buildings). It may be a hard sell on the academic side to let their fundraisers raise 9 figures for a sports arena.

Litehouse
11-19-2013, 12:40 PM
The Dean Dome, is a pretty bare bones arena, at least by modern standards. It's bigger than the BC and has a better seating arrangement for basketball, but in general it's not nearly as nice.

The Reptile
11-19-2013, 03:36 PM
The Dean Dome, is a pretty bare bones arena, at least by modern standards. It's bigger than the BC and has a better seating arrangement for basketball, but in general it's not nearly as nice.

True, it's not attractive inside or out and could use a lot of work in the concessions areas. That's why I think they go for a new building. Simply seating 21K like it does may have been impressive back in 1986 when it opened. Today, that's not nearly enough.