PDA

View Full Version : One possible solution for offensive adjustment

mufansince72
11-18-2013, 11:12 AM
What do you guys think about a simple adjustment like maybe giving Deonte Burton a little offensive freedom to break down his man and drive to the hoop. He could then take it to the hole, dump it to Davante, or kick it out to someone (Jake?) for a less contested outside shot.

Mucrisco
11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
When I watched Burton this summer, his game wasn't really the break down type of game. He doesn't have that lateral quickness or that shake and back. His game was either, I am going to drive it right through you, or I am going to pull up and shoot it. He doesn't have that "machine gun" feet so he can just blow past someone going either way. I think his strength is more as a matchup problem. With a bigger player, he can take them on the perimeter, and with a smaller guy on him, he can go inside.

Personally, I think our problems have more to do with ball movement and creating 2 on 1's. For example, with a lineup of Derrick, Jake, Mayo, Jamil, and Gardner out there, you have Derrick and Jake who can't blow past the primary defender and draw help. When he draw two guys, you pass out of it and create a 2 on 1 situation elsewhere. Neither Jake now Derrick do that. Mayo is more of a creator of his own shot. He may draw that help defender, but he will still try to score. We all know that Jamil disappears for long periods of time. He should be that guy who draws a crowd of defenders. Gardner is an automatic double team in the post. However, we have difficulty feeding the post due to sagging defenders. So, when he finally does draw the double team, he is slow to kick it out since it's rare that he gets the pass there. So, he'll pass fake to try to get the extra defender to go back out again. I would like to see him kick it out, re post, get the ball and try to score from that spot.

If we are relying on Burton to go one on one and break a defender down, I think that will stagnant the ball movement more, and we will have more offensive problems. If you are talking about letting him break down a defender off of a ball reversal or kick out, I am for that. But all players should do that.

Maybe the best solution to drawing a double team and passing out of it is to set a high ball screen, early in the possession. Gardner could be the screener, since he can hit the long who after a pick and pop. Since Derrick is solid, you can teach him to make the right pass. The problem is that team probably won't hedge high off him and probably his defender will go under the ball screen. But at least you create some sort of chaos in the defense. Then you put Thomas and Mayo in the corners. Their defenders have to honor them there, and that creates space for your ball screens. Jamil and Taylor would be other guys you can use for ball screens.

mufansince72
11-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Great in depth analysis. Thanks

MUMac
11-18-2013, 07:09 PM
:cool:
Great in depth analysis. Thanks

Saying Crisco had a great in depth analysis? Isn't that always? One of the best to break it down ... every time.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Jamil and Taylor would be other guys you can use for ball screens.

Good stuff.

I like this idea the best---I think Jamil would provide the most threat in a pick and pop situation as opposed to Davante.