PDA

View Full Version : Major Offensive Issues Start With Leadership at the Point

DavidBoone2inchesTaller
11-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see many conventional offensive sets with a team that now has more of a traditional line-up. I also see no offensive identity.

The problems on offense are a heck of a lot more than just needing to find a go to guy.

I see a lot of players out of position on offense, poor spacing, no paint touches and/or kick outs, limited passes from the wing into the post (when the ball should have been pounded down there), no ball rotation, and only 1 big posting up in or near the paint.

Frankly, I think there are players that don't understand theirs offensive roles and as a result it never allows Marquette to execute an offensive strategy.

Most of all it is the guard play. I see poor leadership from the point guard in establishing the offensive sets and getting players into proper position and I see our starting #2 being overmatched offensively. As a result, the #3 never benefits from those two positions like he should.

Also, when Devante is not in the game with O'tule, I almost never see the #4 in the blocks our near the hoop. I'm not saying the #4 always has to be there because the game has changed, but that is where part of the confusion lies. The team starts the game with what looks like contemporary offensive sets. Then, with only 2:00 minutes gone in the game, Devante comes in and the offense becomes more traditional. Add that up with poor leadership from the point and an overmatched #2 and you have not only a team with a lack of identity on offense, but right now its kind of wild-wild west a.k.a. scrambled eggs.

The point guard needs to get his teammates to understand what they are doing on offense based on the personnel in the game. Then, he needs to demand the acquiescence of his teammates in running the appropriate sets and strategy. That would be a huge improvement.

So, this problem on offense needs to be corrected at the point first. More leadership.

Next, the current starting #2 should not be starting. He is a role player. A player who can stretch the other teams defense when needed.

Then its the basics that are needed. Spacing, ball rotation, paint touches, hitting the post, etc.

Finally, understanding the offensive strategy at the given moment by the entire team will do wonders.

We don't need a "go to guy" we need a leader.

mufansince72
11-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Well stated!

Gato78
11-16-2013, 03:12 PM
We cannot play with a guard who cannot score and we cannot play with 2 guards who cannot score. It is a glaring weakness on display today on national television. Time to make some major changes. Live with the mistakes to get some offense on the floor. Frosh must play.

MUMac
11-16-2013, 03:17 PM
I was disappointed with how poorly Jake was playing and the lack of offensive flow that JuJuan and John did not see the floor. Puzzling.

mufansince72
11-16-2013, 03:20 PM
We cannot play with a guard who cannot score and we cannot play with 2 guards who cannot score. It is a glaring weakness on display today on national television. Time to make some major changes. Live with the mistakes to get some offense on the floor. Frosh must play.

You guys were all hammerring on me after the first two games of the season, when I said point guard play was going to be a major issue. Unfortunately it reared it's ugly head today.

TheSultan
11-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Jake...Todd...Jamil. Our best outside shooters.

4-31. Can't open driving lanes without an outside threat.

Nukem2
11-16-2013, 03:38 PM
I was disappointed with how poorly Jake was playing and the lack of offensive flow that JuJuan and John did not see the floor. Puzzling.Yes, buzz does need to get the frosh into the flow even if for limited stretches. Results can't be much worse than they were today. The starting guards lack length and athleticism and do not shoot/score well at all.

mutpm
11-16-2013, 03:53 PM
JuJuan has been pretty bad on the defensive end against lesser opponents. He is not ready for a game like this yet.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller
11-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Jake...Todd...Jamil. Our best outside shooters.

4-31. Can't open driving lanes without an outside threat.

You're right. But why do you think that is? I don't think I saw an outside shot from the weak side after ball rotation the entire game by Marquette. I saw it just a few times from Ohio State. Most, if not all of the "rhythm shots" you refer to, were taken off the dribble, or a single pass from the wing (not a kick-out). If Marquette's shots were not challenged, there was still a defender within close proximity of the shot. At minimum today, we needed an inside out mentality. That is, pound the ball to O'tule and Gardner until the defense sags and then Todd, Jamil, and Jake could take their shots. If the defense comes back out to the perimeter, pound it back in. I know you know this. But what was lacking, was the establishment of an identity. That is, establish something first....which should have been pounding the ball inside from the beginning. Devante should be starting and so should O'tule. Thomas needs to be a role player, which he may be well suited for.

I would put Mayo at the #2, Wilson at the #3, Devante at the #4, Otule at the 5, and the appropriate Wilson at the point when the other is healthy. Who that is depends on leadership.

I know Buzz needs to be careful with the two big men not getting in foul trouble or tired and that is why Devante sits first right now, but at least that line-up above could get you some easy buckets to start the game, help establish an identity, presence, and some confidence, some flow and rhythm, and then you could take one of the big men out and do the "switchables" thing for awhile with one big. Just my thoughts right now and I'm no expert.

Nukem2
11-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Yep, need to get more inside-out action to set up perimeter shots. At the B&G luncheon, Buzz said MU was going to use more stuff outside the lane to set up shots with the lack of penetrators. Looked that way today, so most perimeter shots were not in rhythm. Need paint touches.

kneelb4zerg
11-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Geez, the problem was execution and lack of paint touches do we really think it would have been better with liberal doses of Dawson and JJ? No way.

IrwinFletcher
11-16-2013, 05:15 PM
I have to say that I was encouraged a bit by the fact that De Wilson actually took the ball to the hole a few times. He finished once when he went to the left hand for his lone bucket. He needs to do more of it and be able to finish better or at least find an open man.

His outside shot is awful, just awful. J Wil had a number of open looks that didn't go down, as did Mayo and Jake. On another day, maybe those go in.

MUMac
11-16-2013, 07:59 PM
I have to say that I was encouraged a bit by the fact that De Wilson actually took the ball to the hole a few times. He finished once when he went to the left hand for his lone bucket. He needs to do more of it and be able to finish better or at least find an open man.

His outside shot is awful, just awful. J Wil had a number of open looks that didn't go down, as did Mayo and Jake. On another day, maybe those go in.

DWill's first drive to the hole came from right to left and he finished with his right hand. Overshot and missed. That was frustrating. Finish with the left and score. They teach you that in grade school.

TedBaxter
11-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Geez, the problem was execution and lack of paint touches do we really think it would have been better with liberal doses of Dawson and JJ? No way.

I'm pretty sure Buzz held out the freshman for a reason. I will say that John Dawson is the best player I've seen at MU in advancing the ball with the pass since Travis Diener and he has the knack of hitting the receiver at the perfect time. That's something you can't teach and he has that gift. The ball moves better with him on the court.

I would have liked to see Dawson and Johnson play today, but understand why Buzz may have kept them out of it.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Classic MU fan mentality that the freshmen are the answer. The problem yesterday was obviously on offense. Our defense was fine. If we bring the freshmen in, there's every chance we are bad on both ends. JJJ and Dawson will get minutes when they earn them on the defensive end. That's always been how Buzz does things.

mufansince72
11-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Defense wasn't that great Brew to overcome the terrible offense. I think Dwill loses defensive intensity when on the court for several minutes at a time. I thought defense was terrible during the first 6 minutes or so of the second half. We need to find a balance between defense and offense.

11-17-2013, 01:41 PM
We held Ohio State to an 81.6 efficiency rating and 52 points. You do understand they are a top-10 team with a second-team preseason All-American senior point guard and 4 returning starters, right? If that's "not that great" of defense, I guess anything other than a shutout will disappoint you. Don't be ridiculous.

mufansince72
11-17-2013, 01:50 PM
We held Ohio State to an 81.6 efficiency rating and 52 points. You do understand they are a top-10 team with a second-team preseason All-American senior point guard and 4 returning starters, right? If that's "not that great" of defense, I guess anything other than a shutout will disappoint you. Don't be ridiculous.

I specifically said the first 6 minutes of the second half when the game changed. Three or four layups in a row.

11-17-2013, 02:10 PM
I specifically said the first 6 minutes of the second half when the game changed. Three or four layups in a row.

So anything less than 40 minutes of flawless defense isn't good enough? Maybe you missed where I said "Don't be ridiculous". It was a great 40 minute defensive effort. Ohio State made adjustments at halftime and it led to some runouts. Our defense corrected and kept us with a fighting chance if the shots had started to fall. It got away at the end because they never did. At some point, a team with the quality and experience of Ohio State is going to make a run. That's why you look at the overall defensive performance, not a short string of possessions.

MUMac
11-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Brew, you are spot on. The criticism of DW is getting absurd. The three you want to take the 3's were a combined 1-15 yesterday. They shot uncontested shots. Were cold as ice and never got anything going. That allowed OSU to pack it in on D. Unfortunately, MU also contributed with poor entry passes by Jake and Todd.

BTW, those 3 shot a combined 4-31 from the field overall.

DWill is going to be this years punching bag from those that are smarter than Buzz. That is obvious.

mufansince72
11-17-2013, 02:28 PM
So anything less than 40 minutes of flawless defense isn't good enough? Maybe you missed where I said "Don't be ridiculous". It was a great 40 minute defensive effort. Ohio State made adjustments at halftime and it led to some runouts. Our defense corrected and kept us with a fighting chance if the shots had started to fall. It got away at the end because they never did. At some point, a team with the quality and experience of Ohio State is going to make a run. That's why you look at the overall defensive performance, not a short string of possessions.

No, it was a 34 minute defensive output.

Love ya Brew, but you guys are all out to lunch on the topic of Dwill. I came away shocked at how bad our starting backcourt was after the first two games. I posted such. See thread "Hard to Complain, but I will". Derrick Wilson is not a D1 quality starting point guard. He is good defensively in short doses, like when he was backing up Junior. He does not see the floor, is late on passes, is not overly good at feeding the post, pulls back in transition when easy baskets are there, is not an offensive threat,etc. Just terrible! Those are my feelings. I have confidence in Buzz, that he will get every last ounce out of this team. Unfortunately I don't believe there is much to get out of Dwill. Kid is probably a nice guy, but does not have the talent to be on the floor for anything more than spot duty. Rip away!

TheSultan
11-17-2013, 02:31 PM
No team is perfect for 40 minutes. They played defense well enough to win.

kneelb4zerg
11-17-2013, 02:33 PM
No, it was a 34 minute defensive output.

Love ya Brew, but you guys are all out to lunch on the topic of Dwill. I came away shocked at how bad our starting backcourt was after the first two games. I posted such. See thread "Hard to Complain, but I will". Derrick Wilson is not a D1 quality starting point guard. He is good defensively in short doses, like when he was backing up Junior. He does not see the floor, is late on passes, is not overly good at feeding the post, pulls back in transition when easy baskets are there, is not an offensive threat,etc. Just terrible! Those are my feelings. I have confidence in Buzz, that he will get every last ounce out of this team. Unfortunately I don't believe there is much to get out of Dwill. Kid is probably a nice guy, but does not have the talent to be on the floor for anything more than spot duty. Rip away!

The main problem with your analysis is that you are basing it on three whole games and I will leave it at that. Heck you had him dead and buried after one game.

MUMac
11-17-2013, 02:33 PM
WOW, '72 that is bizarre. They held a top 10 team with 4 returning starters from an Elite 8 appearance to 52 points. That should be good enough to win. The offensive threats for MU did not have a good game yesterday. And you blame DWill? WOW. Really bizarre.

mufansince72
11-17-2013, 02:39 PM
WOW, '72 that is bizarre. They held a top 10 team with 4 returning starters from an Elite 8 appearance to 52 points. That should be good enough to win. The offensive threats for MU did not have a good game yesterday. And you blame DWill? WOW. Really bizarre.

I saw enough of the point guard skills the last two years. First two games just cemented my thoughts. Good defensive player in four minute spurts. Lousy point guard.

11-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I saw enough of the point guard skills the last two years. First two games just cemented my thoughts. Good defensive player in four minute spurts. Lousy point guard.

No, you wrote him off before the year started and haven't watched him objectively for one single minute. If you had, you'd realize that he's been more of a creator this year than ever before and while he can get the ball to Jamil, Mayo, and Jake, he can't shoot it for them (which admittedly, is probably a good thing). This team's struggles on offense go way beyond Derrick Wilson. But I suppose if you decided to scapegoat him over the past two years, you'll never see that.

mufansince72
11-17-2013, 02:53 PM
No, you wrote him off before the year started and haven't watched him objectively for one single minute. If you had, you'd realize that he's been more of a creator this year than ever before and while he can get the ball to Jamil, Mayo, and Jake, he can't shoot it for them (which admittedly, is probably a good thing). This team's struggles on offense go way beyond Derrick Wilson. But I suppose if you decided to scapegoat him over the past two years, you'll never see that.

I guess we will see Brew. It all starts with the point guard! I want to be wrong! I just don't think so. I think putting an inexperienced freshman out there right now is the least of two evils.

mufansince72
11-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Maybe we can put Jake at point guard. Then we can get one of them off the floor, and only have one guard who can't shoot on the floor at the same time. I need some teal!