PDA

View Full Version : Osu

Phantom Warrior
11-13-2013, 07:25 AM
In the OSU - Ohio game last night, five Ohio players fouled out and another had four fouls.

OSU shot 51 free throws, and Craft alone shot 18.

The game Saturday could get really, really ugly - a free throw fest. We might just see 100 free throws, though I'm guessing the number will end up in the 60s. If it turns into a free throw parade, I don't like our chances. We have too many players who have problems at the line - Derrick, Chris, Juan, Deonte to name four. And Davante has hardly been automatic (maybe that article jinxed him, just like the SI jinx.)

I'm really beginning to wonder about the rule chance.

The Reptile
11-13-2013, 07:40 AM
When Phantom gets worried good things usually follow. Keep at it, Phantom.

MUMac
11-13-2013, 07:57 AM
You may be right, but I believe you are interpreting the limited data incorrectly. Your statement would be more accurate if MU and OSU were on the bad end of the foul situation. The interpretation that I draw is that both are playing defense more in line with the rules than their opponents.

2012Warrior
11-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Plus, with the level of opponents it isn't shocking. I have to imagine inferior teams are going to be using their hands more to keep guys in front, especially a guy like Craft. Southern's only interior defense was to hack. Granted, the Duke-Kansas game had a lot of whistles.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-13-2013, 10:02 AM
PW, I think you're looking at the wrong side of the box score. It's not about how many free throws Ohio State took, it's about how many Ohio took. Teams that are just below the curve, like Ohio and Southern, are still playing defense like they did last year and sending teams to the line a lot more frequently. Teams with higher-level coaches are ahead of that curve and aren't giving up as many trips to the line. I expect to see fewer free throws on both sides of the box score in our next game because the teams involved aren't foul-happy.

IWB
11-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Part of it is higher level - progressive coaches, but it is the budgets as well. MU was paying NCAA refs to come in and ref practice twice each week. I am guessing schools like Grambling don't always have the funds to do the extra little things to prepare like that.

MUMac
11-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Part of it is higher level - progressive coaches, but it is the budgets as well. MU was paying NCAA refs to come in and ref practice twice each week. I am guessing schools like Grambling don't always have the funds to do the extra little things to prepare like that.

After reading about the mutiny on the football team, yeah, that is pretty obviuos they do not.

ge1974
11-13-2013, 01:37 PM
I could have sworn I saw one of my least favorite former refs, John Cahill, now the Big East Supervisor of Officials sitting in the press row student section end zone last night. I am sure he was there to grade last night's officials and ensure they were calling the game by the new / enforced rules.

I saw some of last night's game between Ohio and Ohio State. I had always thought Aaron Craft was one the big handcheckers on "D" the past two seasons. I think he has adjusted well to the rule changes and was still very effectively defensivley. No question. Ohio State has tons of talent and are very athletic. However, Craft is the "straw that stirs Ohio State" and MU must find a way to limit his drives to the lane..