PDA

View Full Version : Would you..

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-11-2013, 04:24 PM
So I was looking at games for today and Witchita St. Plays Western Kentucky at midnight local time tonight... I got to thinking, how many fans would show up for a game starting at midnight on a Monday? Seems silly, so how many of you would show for a game at the BC at midnight tonight if we were having one against western Kentucky?

Gato78
11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
I would --and listen to the Buzz show on the way home!

mutpm
11-11-2013, 04:27 PM
I would go, but I would guess the crowd would be in the 5-6,000 range.

MU88
11-11-2013, 04:37 PM
We had 5000+ for a game against Charlotte in a blinding snowstorm a few years ago. We would have more. Sellout? Doubtful for WKU. But, I would guess 9000-10,000 or maybe even more. Depends how its marketed. Students may show up in droves, pajamas and all.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-11-2013, 04:46 PM
For me half the problem would be the time, half would be the opponent. I suppose I would prefer a 12 AM tip to one that is at 2 am or even the FGCU game that tips at 7 AM local time. As a coach it has to be tough to get your team ready for a 7 AM game.

IWB
11-11-2013, 04:47 PM
If you market it to the students the right way, you might have the largest student turnout ever.

Gato78
11-11-2013, 04:49 PM
They cannot market alcohol. How else could you do it?

If you market it to the students the right way, you might have the largest student turnout ever.

IWB
11-11-2013, 04:58 PM
You build a crazy promotion around the students. Activities all night, free t-shirts, give-aways at every tv timeout......

Then you have quiet discussions with guys like Jimmy McGuire and Eric Titze as well as whoever runs the annex. You can't market alcohol, but they can.

If you build it, they will come.

Hamostradamus
11-11-2013, 05:01 PM
I have to admit, when I saw the title of this thread, I was thinking it was one of those Family Guy dilemmas.

Quagmire: Would you rather have dinner and then sex with Megan Fox's body with Leonard Nimoy's head on it or re-roof an entire condo complex by yourself?
Peter: Oh boy...
Joe: Can I close my eyes?
Quagmire: No. Eye contact the whole time and a LOT of kissing.
Peter: How about Megan Fox's head on Leonard Nimoy's body?
Joe: I know. Somehow that's better.
Quagmire: The hybrid organism exists as I've described it.
Peter: How many units are in the condo?
Quagmire: 32
Peter: Tile roof or shingles?
Joe: Yeah, cuz it makes a difference what you're carrying up that ladder.
Peter: Wait. Whose neck is it?
Quagmire: Huh?
Peter: I mean, where's the cut off? Y'know? Is it Megan Fox's neck or am I burying my face in Leonard Nimoy's turkey gizzard?
Quagmire: Nimoy's neck.
Peter: You have got yourself a roof!
Joe: I'll take the Spock/Fox intercourse.

mutpm
11-11-2013, 08:02 PM
We had 5000+ for a game against Charlotte in a blinding snowstorm a few years ago. We would have more. Sellout? Doubtful for WKU. But, I would guess 9000-10,000 or maybe even more. Depends how its marketed. Students may show up in droves, pajamas and all.

Midnight on a Monday night? You think that many of the long time season ticket holders are coming? I sit with 4 couples. All of us have kids and need to get babysitters for the game. Our group of 8 would be at most 4 for that game. I don't think we would be alone in not being able to use our full compliment of tickets. Throw in the old people that just wouldn't go and I think it would be tough to get 1/2 the crowd that usually comes for a weeknight non-conference game.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-11-2013, 08:15 PM
I agree, especially with most of these games being against cupcakes. I think if they advertised right they could get a decent student turnout, however they might as well have that game in the AL and make it a real nice atmosphere because the BC would be too big to have that many empty seats. They can hardly get 10K to show for weeknight games against cupcakes.

Goose85
11-12-2013, 08:17 AM
I'd probably reroof the condo.

The Reptile
11-12-2013, 08:27 AM
I'd probably reroof the condo.

Me too. Nail gun > Nail Nemoy.

bleedbluegold03
11-12-2013, 09:09 AM
easiest marketing for kids ever = go to game is a "get out of jail free" card for school the next day

TheSultan
11-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Sounds a little too gimmicky for Marquette. I think student attendance would be good with a quality opponent however. You wouldn't get them there playing Grambling.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Sounds a little too gimmicky for Marquette. I think student attendance would be good with a quality opponent however. You wouldn't get them there playing Grambling.

This got me thinking...what buy opponent would get the students there? We'd probably need Fox to jump in on the 24 hours of basketball idea, because I can't see any way we'd get into the ESPN family for a buy game, but outside of a legitimate home-and-home, are there any teams out there we could get as a buy that this would work for?

Locally, turnout was never strong enough for Milwaukee or Green Bay. Despite moderate recent success, I'm not sure Belmont, Drexel, Weber State, or any other true low-major would have enough juice in the name, and I think it'd be a hard sell to get a buy game with any Mountain West, A-10, or Missouri Valley team worth their salt.

Not talking about home-and-homes, we know those could get attention, but are there any buy games you could turn this into an event for?

Mucrisco
11-12-2013, 01:03 PM
I thought we had a great student turnout for Southern.

Nukem2
11-12-2013, 01:11 PM
I thought we had a great student turnout for Southern.

Yep. Though the game being a Friday night helped. Doubt we'll see that kind of turnout tonight. Now, Saturday there should be zero empty seats in the student sections.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Also helped that it was the first game of the season. Game 1 is always pretty good, I expect tonight to be a little less. As mentioned though Saturday better be packed, I am almost certain it will be a sellout.

To answer the question above id imagine a top 25 tilt would do the trick. Doesn't gotta be a Duke or UNC type, but a top 20 or so team would likely draw most out. Still think you'd struggle with the older crowd though.

MayorBeluga
11-12-2013, 04:50 PM
To return to the bigger issue, Marquette should never resort to such gimmicks. Yes, most on this board would be there, but that's not the point. Marquette does not need to lower themselves to get a midnight tv appearance. Thankfully.

Gato78
11-12-2013, 04:54 PM
How about a midnight special rehash with the Russian National team? THAT would be cool.

2012Warrior
11-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Are there any big name teams that are at the weird times? At least the overnight times. I think those are mostly small schools excited for any game on ESPN. Granted, some bigger teams are playing in the afternoon, which I think wouldn't be terrible. But there aren't any big name teams playing buy games at odd titmes that are on ESPN, at least that I know of.

2012Warrior
11-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Are there any big name teams that are at the weird times? At least the overnight times. I think those are mostly small schools excited for any game on ESPN. Granted, some bigger teams are playing in the afternoon, which I think wouldn't be terrible. But there aren't any big name teams playing buy games at odd titmes that are on ESPN, at least that I know of.

I'll be surprised if the Student section is more than 3 rows deep up top tonight. Just the nature of a weak opponent in the middle of the week. Plus, it's cold.

MayorBeluga
11-12-2013, 05:04 PM
How about a midnight special rehash with the Russian National team? THAT would be cool.

Ok, I'll give you that one. Other than that, no need to resort to gimmicks.

Now you kids get off my lawn!

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-13-2013, 12:05 AM

From a fan perspective, I understand the Florida Gulf Coast faithful being psyched for a 7 am game that is nationally televised. They don't get many such opportunities, they are coming off a great year, those fans are understandably juiced for that type of chance. For a fanbase like Marquette, we simply won't get up for a game like that the same way if it isn't a big name opponent. Probably 60-70% of our games will be nationally televised. It's just not as big a deal for us.

IWB
11-13-2013, 08:28 AM

I'll never forget seeing the scroll above Major Goolsby's..... "The Major says THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!"