PDA

View Full Version : CBS: Marquette 1 of 10 teams to benefit from rule changes

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/24198828/college-basketball-preseason-10-teams-that-will-benefit-from-new-rules

Not sure I agree or disagree.

Phantom Warrior
11-07-2013, 03:56 PM
On offense, the MU players I think will benefit the most from this rule change are Duane, Deonte, and JaJuan.

Defensively the player most affected will probably be Derrick.

Nukem2
11-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Buzz spoke about the paint at the B&G luncheon saying that MU will be different this year in that its strength is in the post. He says MU will be doing a lot of stuff outside the paint to allow better entry passes to all the big guys. So not as much space creation and slashing by the wings as in the past. Will the new rules help in this regard...not so sure.

bleedbluegold03
11-07-2013, 07:03 PM
if the play to the letter of the law, Davante will feast. I actually think as Davante became more widely known though, his ability to draw fouls was almost inversely impacted.

as if almost a known soccer player that flops, it seemed like refs choked on whistles beyond what is acceptable with him. maybe that resets in the next conference

The Reptile
11-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Interesting that they list 3 teams in then Big East.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Watching last night's game, I think more so that this is true. Someone else noted that Buzz seems to be ahead of the curve and the team is defending without using their hands. For most of the first half and into the second, I believe Southern was stuck on 2 FTAs. Everyone may be saying "don't rely on free throws", but if getting this kind of disparity at the line is possible, I'm glad to see Marquette take advantage.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-09-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm obviuosly a little behind here...I know there was a change to the rules but what exactly were the changes?

2012Warrior
11-09-2013, 11:34 AM
It seemed to me that our guys made a point of sticking their arms out when their guy caught the ball. I don't remember seeing that in previous years.

Nukem2
11-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Watching last night's game, I think more so that this is true. Someone else noted that Buzz seems to be ahead of the curve and the team is defending without using their hands. For most of the first half and into the second, I believe Southern was stuck on 2 FTAs. Everyone may be saying "don't rely on free throws", but if getting this kind of disparity at the line is possible, I'm glad to see Marquette take advantage.Actually, many of Southern's fouls until later in the were simply hacking Garner and Otule. Those rather obvious fouls would have been called anyway.

IWB
11-09-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm obviously a little behind here...I know there was a change to the rules but what exactly were the changes?

I don't know if this is right, but it is how it was explained to me.....

You can put your hand on a player, but you have to remove it immediately. You can't put your hand on a player and leave it there.

You can't put both of your hands on a player at the same time. One hand with quick removal is ok, two hands is not.

Removes the old concept of 'feel where your opponent is'.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-09-2013, 02:42 PM
I hope this is just for on the ball defending?

IWB
11-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Yes, I believe so, but not sure.

Nukem2
11-09-2013, 04:27 PM
From the horse's mouth:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2013-10-30/what-do-changes-rules-officiating-mean-basketball

MUMac
11-09-2013, 04:41 PM
The rule changes are merely returning the rules to the way they had been in the past.