PDA

View Full Version : J. Wilson at PG?

AlexJesswein
11-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Raftery mentioned on his Big East special last night that Jamil Wilson could/will see some minutes backing up the PG spot. Thoughts?

IWB
11-04-2013, 11:45 AM
While nothing would surprise me with this team, he may be confused with the overwhelming number of Wilsons involved with this team. Derek, Duane, Jamil, the basketballs.....

Mark Miller
11-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Not confused ... Raftery was correct.

Nukem2
11-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Not confused ... Raftery was correct.Actually, at the Haunted Hoops scrimmage, Jamil was playing the point in the last set.

AlexJesswein
11-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I love the idea. He has the potential to be a matchup nightmare. Can play anywhere from 1-5.

Also--considering the experience with Marcus Jackson playing some point, I feel Jamil would do just fine.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I always hoped we could have one of our swing players with PG abilities, but I'm not sure Jamil has a tight enough handle to bring it up against smaller, quicker guards. For awhile I thought Juan might be able to be a point forward, but I think that was just wishful thinking based on what he could do against high school competition. Maybe against low-major competition until DuWil gets back to take some minutes, but in league play I would be surprised if Jamil had the handle necessary to hold off the kind of guards Georgetown, Providence, Xavier, and the rest of the Big East have.

BLT
11-04-2013, 01:30 PM
He picked Jamil for his starting five All BE preseason team because of his versatility...he had a BE Media Day interview with Jamil where Jamil said he benefitted from playing every position...and may even play point guard this year...later, Raf brings this up two-three more times I think. It was a throw away line by Jamil...but Raf jumped on it. Good thing now, opponents will have to game plan for it.

kneelb4zerg
11-04-2013, 01:31 PM
I always hoped we could have one of our swing players with PG abilities, but I'm not sure Jamil has a tight enough handle to bring it up against smaller, quicker guards. For awhile I thought Juan might be able to be a point forward, but I think that was just wishful thinking based on what he could do against high school competition. Maybe against low-major competition until DuWil gets back to take some minutes, but in league play I would be surprised if Jamil had the handle necessary to hold off the kind of guards Georgetown, Providence, Xavier, and the rest of the Big East have.

I don't know if we know enough about his "handle" to make that judgment at this point.

CaribouJim
11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Doesn't Jamil have the reputation for knowing where everyone should be for every play - not just his own position. Quality you would want for a playmaker.

Nukem2
11-04-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't know if we know enough about his "handle" to make that judgment at this point.
The problem with Jamil's handle is that he dribbles the ball standing high. Needs to bend/crouch more as a PG.

kneelb4zerg
11-04-2013, 01:49 PM
The problem with Jamil's handle is that he dribbles the ball standing high. Needs to bend/crouch more as a PG.

Fine, but who says he can't make that adjustment?

TheSultan
11-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Fine, but who says he can't make that adjustment?

He could...although it may not be an easy one to make.

kneelb4zerg
11-04-2013, 02:03 PM
He dribbles it high because he's tall, I don't think that necessarily means that he has/will have a poor handle and that it will be easy to steal it from him.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Now that Louisville is out of our conference with the exception of OSU who will we play that pressures the ball a lot? It would seem we just need someone to get the ball past half court, I don't see this being a huge issue. Does it speak to Buzz maybe not having full faith in Dawson yet though?

Nukem2
11-04-2013, 02:08 PM
He dribbles it high because he's tall, I don't think that necessarily means that he has/will have a poor handle and that it will be easy to steal it from him.
Not drawing a comparison, but Magic Johnson was successful ball handling at his height because he had a low dribble. With a high dribble, Jamil will get picked.

Goose85
11-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Sure he could see minutes as a point guard, but that doesn't mean he will have the opposing point guard covering him. I could see him handle "point" duties to take pressure off D. Wilson / Dawson / Du Wilson.

If someone like Craft is all over De. Wilson or Dawson, do you have J. Wilson bring it up? Doesn't mean Craft will cover Jamil, but Jamil handles it well enough to probably beat the pressure of whoever is covering him. Would Craft switch to cover Jamil and leave a forward to cover Derrick Wilson?

I could see where you could use Jamil's versatility as a point, but I don't think that would mean you not have a couple of guards on the floor. All depends on pressure and matchups.

MU/Panther
11-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Actually, at the Haunted Hoops scrimmage, Jamil was playing the point in the last set. I witness it as well!

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Not drawing a comparison, but Magic Johnson was successful ball handling at his height because he had a low dribble. With a high dribble, Jamil will get picked.

This is exactly what I'm referring to. There's a reason that most of the successful point guards are on the shorter side. Their low dribble and center of gravity simply leaves a smaller window to steal the ball. It's the same reason that big PGs like Magic are so rare. I could see Jamil maybe playing it in spots, but for an extended time he would have to completely change how he brings the ball up the court. If Jamil were able to transition to playing the point, I mean really transition to playing the point, I'd expect him to be a first round pick next summer, and if he was a star at the position, a lottery pick, even as a 5th year senior.

MUAlphaBangura
11-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Sure he could see minutes as a point guard, but that doesn't mean he will have the opposing point guard covering him. I could see him handle "point" duties to take pressure off D. Wilson / Dawson / Du Wilson.

If someone like Craft is all over De. Wilson or Dawson, do you have J. Wilson bring it up? Doesn't mean Craft will cover Jamil, but Jamil handles it well enough to probably beat the pressure of whoever is covering him. Would Craft switch to cover Jamil and leave a forward to cover Derrick Wilson?

I could see where you could use Jamil's versatility as a point, but I don't think that would mean you not have a couple of guards on the floor. All depends on pressure and matchups.

Agree Goose. If Jamil is asked to handle the ball, I would be surprised if he is not the "point forward". If he is being covered by the other team's 3 man, Jamil will do just fine handling the ball.

Nukem2
11-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Agree Goose. If Jamil is asked to handle the ball, I would be surprised if he is not the "point forward". If he is being covered by the other team's 3 man, Jamil will do just fine handling the ball.

I believe we were discussing this as a true PG situation.

Mucrisco
11-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Right. Just play him with two guards. The other team will have to match up, and he'll be bringing the ball up against another big. If they put a guard on him, just take him down low and post him up. Jamil "Paul Pressey" Wilson.

kneelb4zerg
11-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Jeez guys. Have a little imagination. If he's being guarded by a 3 great. If he's being guarded by a six foot PG even better. Either way it's an interesting wrinkle and something the other team has to account for.

TheSultan
11-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Right. Just play him with two guards. The other team will have to match up, and he'll be bringing the ball up against another big. If they put a guard on him, just take him down low and post him up. Jamil "Paul Pressey" Wilson.

Unless they zone. Part of the problem I see with this scenario is that Jamil isn't terribly quick.

bleedbluegold03
11-05-2013, 08:58 AM
when has Buzz EVER used a bigger player in a smaller position? I can't recall even one. The opposite way about is easy enough to remember

Goose85
11-05-2013, 09:15 AM
when has Buzz EVER used a bigger player in a smaller position? I can't recall even one. The opposite way about is easy enough to remember

We've never really had many big players that could actually play. This year the strength of our team is the bigger players, so Buzz may try to find ways to get the best players out there which could include Gardner - Taylor - J Wilson - Anderson at one time with a guard.

TheSultan
11-05-2013, 09:21 AM
They reason they may do this is because Buzz may not be entirely pleased with the options that back up Derrick. Dawson might not be ready. They may want to keep Mayo off the ball. Duane is hurt. Etc. etc. Etc.

If Jamil is adequate, you can play a line up of Gardner, Taylor, Anderson, Mayo and Jamil and have crazy length all over the floor.