PDA

View Full Version : Iman Shumpert

Mucrisco
10-30-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm watching the Bucks, because there is finally some real basketball on. No matter how bad the Bucks are, I will always support them. They are playing Iman Shumpert. When he decided to go to GT instead, who did we sign in place of him?

2012Warrior
10-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Not sure of the timeline, but Tyshawn was a PG we had in that class up until the coaching change. I feel like Jimmy was one of the last ones to sign. The recruiting class that year was Otule, Fulce, Butler, McMorrow.

A question to add. If we get Shumpert do you think Crean stays at MU or was Indiana too big to turn down? I think part of his leaving was how tough it is to get a 5-star McDonald's All-American. However, as much as we hate the phrase, It's Indiana. So even with Shumpert, it might not have mattered.

The Reptile
10-30-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm watching the Bucks, because there is finally some real basketball on. No matter how bad the Bucks are, I will always support them. They are playing Iman Shumpert. When he decided to go to GT instead, who did we sign in place of him?

Joe Fulce announced right after he selected GTech. Pretty much everyone figured he was plan B, but soon after that it came out he committed a month earlier.

unclejohn
10-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Taylor was the "consolation prize." As I recall, some people even argued that he was better than Shumpert, and Marquette got the better deal. Maybe he was. In any case, he left, along with Nick Williams who had been an early recruit of the former coach, and who followed him to Ix4. But I think you are right. The former coach was going to go to Ix4 no matter what, and I do not know anybody who blamed him. The blame seems to have come from the way he left.

As we all know, Taylor then left for Kansas, after Hurley made a big deal about it and complained that Marquette would not release him, which was not true, and Buzz immediately signed Jimmy. And I would maintain that Marquette still got the better end of the deal. Taylor had a great career at Kansas. I haven't followed him since, so I do not know how he is doing as a pro. (Edit: I looked it up. Jimmy got drafted higher and has had a significantly better career so far. Taylor has pretty much ridden the bench, but of course, he is young.) But I would not trade him even up for Jimmy. Taylor had a better college career, but I think Jimmy brought more to the Marquette program than Taylor could have. He set the mold for the juco players Buzz likes to recruit, and demonstrated his ability to develop players. I think this is now paying dividends in recruiting. More importantly, Jimmy is just the kind of player you want to build a program on. He worked crazy hard, got better, was always humble and one of the nicest guys you could want to meet, and is a player we can all be proud of. My favorite Marquette player in the pros. Nothing against Taylor, but I am not convinced he could have matched or surpassed that.

IWB
10-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Taylor then left for Kansas, after Hurley made a big deal about it and complained that Marquette would not release him, which was not true,

Its kinda true - not the whole story, but it isn't wrong.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
10-30-2013, 11:40 PM
didnt buzz refuse to release Taylor until he was given the opportunity to have a sit down with him or something like that?

MUMac
10-31-2013, 07:53 AM
didnt buzz refuse to release Taylor until he was given the opportunity to have a sit down with him or something like that?

My memory is that MU took a stance, they asked him to wait until the new coach was hired. After Buzz was hired, I believe Taylor's mom wanted him at Marquette and was not going to sign the NLI release.

Of course, there were all kinds of "reasons" why Hurley was pushing for Taylor to be released ...

TulsaWarrior
10-31-2013, 08:14 AM
There was never a question that a release if the family wanted it. Buzz just asked a chance to present his case. (he was the main recruiter all along) Judging from the public displays Taylor made in the following years he clearly respects Coach Buzz. The most unfortunate aspect of the situation was Hurley's public statements which were unfair to Buzz and Marquette. This should have been a private matter between the family, Hurley and Coach Buzz. It was a sad reflection on Bob Hurley's oethwise impressive legacy. My bet is Buzz is still in touch with Taylor and Coach Williams holds not grudge to Hurley who publicly disparaged him. Time has proven Marquette's coach has been one of the most successful coaches in college basketball. That's the best statement that can be made.

GOMU1104
10-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Joe Fulce announced right after he selected GTech. Pretty much everyone figured he was plan B, but soon after that it came out he committed a month earlier.

That may have been the craziest/angriest/funniest night in MU message board history.