PDA

View Full Version : Chicago High School...

IWB
10-30-2013, 09:20 AM
The ChicagoSide blog came up with the top 25 Chicago Public School players of all time. I have no idea who these guys are, and the comments rip them up and down, but it is fun to see some of these names again.

Personally Johnny Selvie and Bo Ellis wouldn't have been honorable mention. Would love to hear Bull's Eye's take on this list. Keep in mind, I believe this is only the public schools.

http://chicagosidesports.com/kings-among-kings-ranking-chicagos-all-time-greatest-high-school-hoop-stars/

unclejohn
10-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Of course this is subjective, and it is impossible to compare players over eras. But I have no problem with them. This is a discussion of players in high school, not how those players did in college or the pros. So you see Terry Cummings, who had a great career at DePaul and in the pros, and whose son went on to have a fine career as well, as an honorable mention, and Imari Sawyer, who also went to DePaul, but was a complete bust.

Another thing I found interesting is that it really shows how DePaul fell behind. There are all these great players who starred at DePaul - Cummings, Aguirre, and others. And then there is Ben Wilson, who tragically got murdered before he ever played there, and Ronnie Fields, who couldn't get in, as well as Kevin Garnett, who turned pro instead of going there. Those players quite possibly alone would have been enough to keep DePaul relevant for years.

CaribouJim
10-30-2013, 02:18 PM
During my 4 years at MU ('76-'80) IMO Aguirre was the most intimidating opponent - a highly skilled brute. That baseline jumper was money - even with a couple guys hanging on him.

unclejohn
10-30-2013, 06:44 PM
He went on to be the top pick in the draft and a long NBA career, including, if I recall correctly, a championship. The player he has been most closely linked to was Isaiah Thomas. They met in the state play-offs, they were two high-profile college players who both made the Final Four, and were drafted 1-2 in the same year. The both had impressive pro careers. (At least for Thomas, until he quit playing and started coaching and managing.)

WindyCityGoldenEagle
10-30-2013, 11:48 PM
good stuff, thanks for posting.

The king team with Griffith and Thomas Hamilton was just silly. It was a ridiculously massive front line even by college/nba standards. They were so damn good.

MUMac
10-31-2013, 07:54 AM
During my 4 years at MU ('76-'80) IMO Aguirre was the most intimidating opponent - a highly skilled brute. That baseline jumper was money - even with a couple guys hanging on him.

No doubt in my mind that Aguirre and those that followed to DePaul would have been at Marquette had Al stayed. Those DePaul teams would have been a contiuation of the MU teams of the '70's.

IWB
10-31-2013, 08:18 AM
good stuff, thanks for posting.

The king team with Griffith and Thomas Hamilton was just silly. It was a ridiculously massive front line even by college/nba standards. They were so damn good.

I remember watching the game they lost in the playoffs the one year. They had Hamilton & Griffith, and I think the SF was 6'7 or 6'8. Two reasons why they lost.

1) PG
2) SG

These two were chucking up three pointers like they were going out of style. Every time down court. You have the most dominant front line in the nation and all you do is chuck up threes. It was a joke.

TheSultan
10-31-2013, 08:24 AM
He went on to be the top pick in the draft and a long NBA career, including, if I recall correctly, a championship. The player he has been most closely linked to was Isaiah Thomas. They met in the state play-offs, they were two high-profile college players who both made the Final Four, and were drafted 1-2 in the same year. The both had impressive pro careers. (At least for Thomas, until he quit playing and started coaching and managing.)

He won two NBA championships. He was a reserve on the Pistons back to back champions in the late 80s / early 90s. My recollection was that he was traded for Adrian Dantley.

CaribouJim
10-31-2013, 09:30 AM
No doubt in my mind that Aguirre and those that followed to DePaul would have been at Marquette had Al stayed. Those DePaul teams would have been a contiuation of the MU teams of the '70's.

I actually think it was just short of a done deal for Aguire to MU had Al stayed. Maybe Teddy Grubbs too!! Poor guy never came close to the hype, but I think he had some troubles if IIRC.

MUMac
10-31-2013, 06:25 PM
I actually think it was just short of a done deal for Aguire to MU had Al stayed. Maybe Teddy Grubbs too!! Poor guy never came close to the hype, but I think he had some troubles if IIRC.

Aguirre always said he was only looking at Marquette ... until Al retired.

mufansince72
10-31-2013, 06:36 PM

Aguire was quoted as saying he was coming to MU but then Al announced his retirement. Opened the door for Depaul. I have no doubt that had he came to MU that we probably also would have had Terry Cummings, Skip Dillard, and most of the other Chicago guys who went to Depaul.

BLT
10-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Skip Dillard was never going to get into MU.

mufansince72
10-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Skip Dillard was never going to get into MU.

I just meant the pipleline would have continued and the guys that Depaul got would most likely have ended up at MU.