PDA

View Full Version : Vander signs in Israel

Hamostradamus
10-30-2013, 08:33 AM
Vander Blue will start his pro career in Israel with Maccabi Rishon LeZion. The product of Marquette averaged 14.8ppg and 3.2rpg in his last NCAA season. Vander Blue was at the camp with the Sixers.
http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/israel/66329/vander-blue-signs-with-maccabi-rishon-lezion.html

Looks like the good American players earn $100,000-150,000 per year at that level.

MU/Panther
10-30-2013, 08:57 AM
So, he will be making more than most Americans.

MUBasketball
10-30-2013, 08:57 AM
As much as we all want to criticize Van's decision...he's a kid without a college degree making a hell of a lot more money than I am, 7 years after getting my college diploma.

I think I need a drink!

ValiantSailor
10-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Good for him.

In another year, will his experience in Israel help or hurt Vander as he makes another attempt for the NBA? IOW, what's more valuable - a year playing part-time for nothing at Marquette or a year playing full-time while earning six figures in Israel?

VS

Djgoldnboy
10-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Maybe Niv Berkowitz can show him around.

(I was just joking, but doing a little interwebs search it appears they will be in the same league).

WindyCityGoldenEagle
10-30-2013, 09:13 AM
well put VS---I guess we'll never know. But if he was a Big East POY, led his team to a solid season, one would have to think his stock would be even higher than it was after last year and potentially catapulted him into nba round 1. All big if's, but would taking that chance be worth giving up 150k? Tough to say. I know I wouldve stayed in school but that's me.

IWB
10-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Had he stayed and continued to improve he could have moved into a draft slot, possibly sliding into the end of the first round. Had he done that, he would have had a three year guarantee and made more each year than he would in his first three years in Isreal.

dubs98
10-30-2013, 09:35 AM
agree, but that is a lot of "ifs". in the end it probably would have been a better decision to stay, get the free education while he can to prepare for life after school and to possibly improve his draft stock, but I think he would have needed to still improve significantly to move into the first round for the guaranteed contract. I loved watching vander, but his inconsistent shot, lack of size for a 2 guard in the association, and lack of true pg skills would make it a harder sell for a team to draft him with a first round pick. I will be rooting like heck for him to get to the association soon, but I think an assumption that he would have a good shot at the first round had he stayed is a bit of a stretch. It could have been done, just not likely in my opinion.

Had he stayed and continued to improve he could have moved into a draft slot, possibly sliding into the end of the first round. Had he done that, he would have had a three year guarantee and made more each year than he would in his first three years in Isreal.

2013UnleashTheBeast
10-30-2013, 09:44 AM

Does he have to stay all three years in Israel? Or could he potentially come over after this year?

2013UnleashTheBeast
10-30-2013, 09:46 AM
well put VS---I guess we'll never know. But if he was a Big East POY, led his team to a solid season, one would have to think his stock would be even higher than it was after last year and potentially catapulted him into nba round 1. All big if's, but would taking that chance be worth giving up 150k? Tough to say. I know I wouldve stayed in school but that's me.

He probably needs to get a lot of run at PG to make the league. Guessing he'll get it in that league, as he likely signed with a team that said he could play at that spot.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-30-2013, 09:59 AM
$150k a year is nothing to sneeze at but I'm not sure Isreal is where I'd want to be, but I guess to each his own. With all of that being said its unlikely that Vander having a degree will really matter, most of these guys will make career's off of playing basketball and then after they retire will still do something related to the sport. I hear that whole "get a degree" thing tossed around but it really hasn't affected many guys as that field certainly doesn't require one.

MUMac
10-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Good for him.

In another year, will his experience in Israel help or hurt Vander as he makes another attempt for the NBA? IOW, what's more valuable - a year playing part-time for nothing at Marquette or a year playing full-time while earning six figures in Israel?

VS

That's a great question VS. I don't know the answer. IWB's response makes sense, though I know one of the attractions to this years draft was the expectation that next years draft would be more loaded. So that factors in.

Back to your question. I would add to it, how many players actually come back from oversea's to make it in the NBA? I don't know that answer, does anyone know if m(any) do?

Goose85
10-30-2013, 10:04 AM
$150k a year is nothing to sneeze at but I'm not sure Isreal is where I'd want to be, but I guess to each his own. With all of that being said its unlikely that Vander having a degree will really matter, most of these guys will make career's off of playing basketball and then after they retire will still do something related to the sport. I hear that whole "get a degree" thing tossed around but it really hasn't affected many guys as that field certainly doesn't require one.

One issue with a degree is that I think a lot of colleges require you to have a college degree to coach.

Phantom Warrior
10-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Playing in Israel is actually a pretty good gig. For one thing, Israelis are absolutely gaga over basketball and have been since former Illinois star Tal Brody played in Israel many moons ago. The level of play is pretty high as well. Maccabi Tel Aviv is one of the best clubs in Europe, and the rest of the teams in that league are also pretty good.

Another advantage is that most Israelis speak English, so communication should not be as difficult as it would be in the majority of other countries. If I were an American playing hoops in a foreign country, that would be a huge factor for me.

dubs98
10-30-2013, 10:28 AM
I guess I don't know the evidence behind this, but I would tend to disagree with you on this. How many quality jobs can someone get without a degree? I am sure there are probably several, but options can be limited as well (especially considering he is one year away from completing the degree). If you are not a star, then what jobs do you feel most retired players tend to get? Coaching is probably the most likely, but unless you are coaching at a higher level pay is not exactly stellar. what other careers related to their sport do you consider substantial enough to support ones self that can easily be had without a degree?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-30-2013, 10:44 AM
I find it hilarious that you guys think just having a degree will make jobs easily available for Vander. The truth is that no job is easy to get, however being a basketball player at Marquette or most D1 schools will open up more doors for players than having a degree will. There are coaching jobs, AAU jobs, TV analyst jobs, speaking and motivational type stuff, not to mention if things really break down there are usually tons of contacts that these players make that could get them jobs doing all sorts of stuff that is unrelated to basketball that they can use to support their families. There are tons of students out there with degrees who cannot find jobs, these guys aren't likely to finish basketball and go become lawyers or doctors or even mid level managers at local companies, and if they were they would finish their degree and chase that dream.

CaribouJim
10-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Playing in Israel is actually a pretty good gig. For one thing, Israelis are absolutely gaga over basketball and have been since former Illinois star Tal Brody played in Israel many moons ago. The level of play is pretty high as well. Maccabi Tel Aviv is one of the best clubs in Europe, and the rest of the teams in that league are also pretty good.

Another advantage is that most Israelis speak English, so communication should not be as difficult as it would be in the majority of other countries. If I were an American playing hoops in a foreign country, that would be a huge factor for me.

...and they often show their games on the NBA Channel.

GOMU1104
10-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Their arena only seats 2,000 people. I doubt hes getting $100,000-150,000.

Hamostradamus
10-30-2013, 01:13 PM
FWIW, this website has a bunch of players there making $3k per week, one guy making $15k per week. If the translation feature is working correctly. :p

http://www.buzzerbeater.com/team/92298/players.aspx