PDA

View Full Version : 10 Deep

Phantom Warrior
10-29-2013, 11:35 PM
With Duane out for quite some time and Jameel gone bye bye, I am beginning to think we will see Buzz go 10 deep, meaning 10 players will see double-digit minutes.

Now that I've had a chance to see Dawson, I understand Ted's (Baxter) comments after MM. I was impressed by him. So, at least until Duane returns, here's how I envision playing time.

At the 1: Derrick - 26 mpg (if he can stay out of foul trouble) and Dawson 14.

At the 2: Mayo 24 mpg and JJ 16.

At the 3: Jamil - 28 mpg and Juan 12.

At the 4: Taylor - 26 mpg and Deonte 14.

At the 5: Davante 25 mpg and Chris 15.

Jake - #11.

Once Duane recovers, back court minutes could very well shake out quite differently, but I think this is pretty close to what we'll see the first 10-12 games of the season.

I don't remember MU ever having 10 guys average double-digit mpg, but it could happen this year.

warriorfan4life
10-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Juan is going to play more, and likely significantly more then that. Add his experience in the system with what look to be substantial improvements in his game and you have the recipe for 25 minutes a night. I think starters will be Derrick Wilson, Johnson, Juan, Jamil, and Otule. Gardner will be first off the bench and get 25 minutes a night (5 or so at 4 in jumbo package), then Taylor, Mayo, and Dawson. Burton may get a few minutes here and there, but I think he's the half-man in a 9.5 man rotation.

Phantom Warrior
10-30-2013, 04:59 AM
I agree that Juan has improved over the past two years, and he may very well get more mpg.

However, I was also impressed with Deonte. He does a little bit of everything; he's one of those stat stuffers. I think he is a better ball handler than Juan and also a better passer - though passing may be the strongest part of Juan's game. I also think DB attacks the basket, and he is very active around the glass.

I also thought DB played solid defense - though Juan did, too.

The thing is, I envision DB getting better and better during the season as he gains experience. He certainly showed he belonged out there. At times he guarded Taylor, at times Juan, at times Jamil, at times Johnson, and I think he held his own against all of them.

If Jamil starts at the 4, then Taylor will get significantly fewer minutes, but I think he showed he deserves to be on the floor, too. I do think Jamil leads the team in mpg with somewhere around 28 mpg. There are only 80 mpg at the 3-4, which leaves only 52 mpg for Juan, Taylor, and Deonte, but I think all three will average at least 10 mpg.

TheSultan
10-30-2013, 06:55 AM
My guess:

5: Chris and Davante split similar to last year
3&4: Jamil, Juan start. Taylor gets big minutes. Deonte gets spot minutes
2: Mayo and JJJ get the bulk of the minutes
1: Derrick starts, but both Mayo and Dawson get time.

bleedbluegold03
10-30-2013, 09:24 AM
At the 1: Derrick - 26 mpg (if he can stay out of foul trouble)

College basketball officials are supposed to call hand-checking a foul as they transition the sport from "no harm, no foul" to "no touching." No more bumping an offensive player when he's heading to the basket. No more body bumping.

New No Hand Check Rule (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/10/23/new-no-hand-check-rule-hated-by-players-and-coaches/3172213/)

After reading this rule, I will be genuinely shocked if Derrick can stay on the court for more than 20 minutes. Last year in conference play, Derrick averaged a .09 fouls per minute (21 fouls in 235 minutes played). With new rules in place, it's not out of the question to think this rate would increase by 25-30%. Taking a .12 fouls per minute projection, a 26 mpg would mean he'd average over 3 fouls a game. A 50% increase in fouls called would mean over 2.5 fouls in 26 minutes of action.

On a completely object note, the team that I think stands to suffer the most - by a wide margin - is Cuse. Boheim will actually have to teach some defense now as his "smoothering zone" will no longer cover the warts of his lack of coaching talent. I don't think Cuse would've made it past Indiana last year if the game had been called a little more tight...

Phantom Warrior
10-30-2013, 10:04 AM
A lot of teams are going to be negatively affected by the rule change. Louisville, for one.

But the teams most affected will be those that go only six or seven deep before there's a significant drop off in talent/ability. Being able to go 10 deep - 11 after Duane's return - without a massive drop in ability - should actually help us if there is a significant increase in fouls called. I'd take our number 8, 9, 10, and 11 players against opponents' number 8, 9, 10, and 11 players any day.

As for Derrick, Buzz almost always pulls a player who picks up two fouls in the first half. I'll be surprised if Derrick is on the court more than 10 minutes in the first half. And Buzz almost always sit a player if he picks up a third foul early in the second half. In some games that could mean Derrick takes a seat on the bench for a major portion of the second half.

Watching Dawson, I feel better about our prospects should that happen, and with Duane's eventual return, we will have the luxury of being three deep at point. Advantage MU.

Nukem2
10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
My guess:

5: Chris and Davante split similar to last year
3&4: Jamil, Juan start. Taylor gets big minutes. Deonte gets spot minutes
2: Mayo and JJJ get the bulk of the minutes
1: Derrick starts, but both Mayo and Dawson get time.

I agree. I suspect Juan will take over Lockett's spot at the 3 with Burton backing him up. Jake will get some minutes though at the 2. Hope Duane can get healthy, but its going to be hard for him missing all that pre-season practice ( and some games ).

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
10-30-2013, 11:18 AM
I think Sultan's assessment is spot on. Juan will get way more than 12 mpg. I would be shocked if all three freshmen got more minutes than Anderson. Here are numbers I'd assign to the guys, obviously for entertainment purposes only ;)

1 - Derrick Wilson, 25
2 - Todd Mayo, 25
3 - Juan Anderson, 22
4 - Jamil Wilson, 30
5 - Chris Otule, 17

6 - Davante Gardner, 23
7 - Steve Taylor, 20
8 - Jajuan Johnson, 15
9 - Dawson, 10
10 - Burton, 7
11 - Thomas, 6

CaribouJim
10-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Much has been made of Davante's weight loss and presumed increase in his fitness level. He's undoubtedly MU's most skilled offensive player and I am going to assume his quickness has increased which I presume will help his D. I'll be disappointed if his minutes don't approach the 28-30 range.