PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmaging Other School

Nukem2
10-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Is MU scrimmaging others this weekend and next weekend as there are no exhibitions and the fist game is Friday 11/8......?

MUMac
10-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I thought I heard Virginia and either Illinois State or Southern Illinois. Both here, I believe.

Markedman
10-26-2013, 05:53 PM
There is defintely a scrimmage tomorrow...not sure who they are playing.

Mark Miller
10-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Illinois State scrimmage is today.

MUAlphaBangura
10-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Very quiet around the AL this afternoon. Was there for the volleyball match for the better part of two hours, and saw nothing at all from any player, coach or staff. When they say 'keep it quiet", they mean it.

Markedman
10-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Hope Buzz has the guys working on the zone......

Mike Broeker ‏@mikebroeker 28m
My #mubb scrimmage takeaway. Concessions sales go up thanks to new rules emphasis. Games will be 3 hours #doublebonus

MU/Panther
10-27-2013, 05:33 PM
I was at the Al for volleyball, maybe they were in the other gym.

TheSultan
10-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Hope Buzz has the guys working on the zone......

Mike Broeker ‏@mikebroeker 28m
My #mubb scrimmage takeaway. Concessions sales go up thanks to new rules emphasis. Games will be 3 hours #doublebonus

I have heard a lot of similar things on twitter recently, and let me tell you, that is not going to help the product one bit. These games are already too long as it stands with all the fouling at the end. Yeah, basketball at all levels has gotten more physical and that has decreased scoring. But the NCAA can't be on a quixotic quest to change that.

warriorfan4life
10-27-2013, 06:04 PM
I have heard a lot of similar things on twitter recently, and let me tell you, that is not going to help the product one bit. These games are already too long as it stands with all the fouling at the end. Yeah, basketball at all levels has gotten more physical and that has decreased scoring. But the NCAA can't be on a quixotic quest to change that.

I have to disagree. Most of the major games were unwatchable last year because of all of the contact that went uncalled. Short term we will have to pay with longer games as teams learn how to play D without fouling again. Long term the game will flow better as players can move freely without being mugged. My only fear is that many coaches cede to their insecurities and play zone.

TheSultan
10-27-2013, 06:33 PM
I have to disagree. Most of the major games were unwatchable last year because of all of the contact that went uncalled. Short term we will have to pay with longer games as teams learn how to play D without fouling again. Long term the game will flow better as players can move freely without being mugged. My only fear is that many coaches cede to their insecurities and play zone.

Its physical at the high school level...and its physical in the NBA. But the NCAA is going to change the game? And yeah...you will see a ton of zone.

TheSultan
10-27-2013, 06:42 PM
And BTW, calling this type of game isn't going to help Marquette one bit.

kneelb4zerg
10-27-2013, 06:47 PM
And BTW, calling this type of game isn't going to help Marquette one bit.

Not so sure about that.

DCwarrior
10-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Its physical at the high school level...and its physical in the NBA. But the NCAA is going to change the game? And yeah...you will see a ton of zone.

The NBA game has become much better to watch over the last 10 years as they've taken some of the hand-checking and physical play away. The days of The Pat Riley football games are over in the NBA.

College needs to do the same thing. It will take teams some time to grow accustomed and we're going to see a lot of free throws, but it has to be done. The college game needs the skill to shine through if it wants to gain in popularity and gain in TV ratings.

TheSultan
10-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Do you think that the college game is more physical than the NBA game right now? Because I can't see that...

DCwarrior
10-27-2013, 07:49 PM
I think the Big East last year was more physical than a typical NBA game.

warriorfan4life
10-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Warrior Nich on Dodds's board put it very well:

A long overdue crackdown on the rules. Get rid of the clutch, grab and hack defense. Teams will adjust in time, making for a better product in the long run.

Physical may not have been the best word choice on my part, and I think guys should be able to compete underneath. In fact, I think there has previously been way too quick of a whistle on interior players and much of the clutching, grabbing, and hacking outside of the lane goes uncalled.

Also, while a tighter whistle this year may adversely affect Marquette, it will help long term with the roster we are building. I think guys like Johnson, Hill, and Cohen could potentially be lethal on the wing if they can cut and move freely the way Matthews, McNeal, and DJ-O among others have in Buzz's offense.

MUAlphaBangura
10-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Pretty sure John Cahill is in town and meeting with MU staff including Mike Broeker to discuss changes for the upcoming season, and what they can expect from the refs for our conference games. There is no truth to the rumor that he will teach our guys how to run like a girl.

MUfan12
10-28-2013, 10:33 PM
I've been banging this drum for awhile, but I really think that the charge call is clogging things up way more than hand-checking.

It's become a defensive strategy to step in late and draw a charge as a help defender. If they allowed only primary defenders to draw an offensive foul, it'd open up the game a ton I think. Make help defenders actually contest shots near the basket, instead of just getting in the way and falling down.

TheSultan
10-29-2013, 08:39 AM
I've been banging this drum for awhile, but I really think that the charge call is clogging things up way more than hand-checking.

It's become a defensive strategy to step in late and draw a charge as a help defender. If they allowed only primary defenders to draw an offensive foul, it'd open up the game a ton I think. Make help defenders actually contest shots near the basket, instead of just getting in the way and falling down.

Now I agree with this. I think the charge circle has caused more problems than it has solved to. Refs focus too much on the feet in the circle and not enough on whether or not the defender was in place before the offensive player left his feet. This happened numerous times last year both for and against MU.

MUMac
10-29-2013, 09:24 AM

I have also been banging that drum. I made a post at the end of last year about if you could change one thing, what would it be. That is exactly what I wanted changed and exactly as I said it.