PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage

Nukem2
10-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Last night's scrimmage was uneven and sloppy, though I guess that's to be expected at this early date given the roster turnover, departure and injuries. Also, Buzz shifted guys from one team to another adding to the unevenness of play.

Disappointed that Derrick Wilson looked no better than in the past. He did get a couple steals on Dawson though he did foul him a number of times going for those steals. Those hand-checks could be a problem for Derrick given the new NCAA defensive rules. Otherwise I thought Dawson held his own with Derrick and maybe outplayed him overall. Dawson certainly shows far more offensive potential than Derrick. PG play is a huge factor for this season. Right now with Duane out...?

JaJuan Johnson was very impressive getting better as the scrimmage(s) wore on. Todd Mayo looked okay and the knee did not seem to bother him. I think the 2 is going to be fine with these two. Jake Thomas struggled and looked much the same to me. His role will be much the same as last year?

Juan Anderson had a good evening being very active and shooting well from trey-land. Deonte Burton...well, I don't know. As I've posted last spring after watching several of his games on DVR, he is simply VERY left-handed and height will be an issue for him vis-à-vis taller forwards. The 3 will be his best position?

Jamil looked good and did handle the ball a lot later in the scrimmage. Taylor played quite well though I'm not sure his vertical game is yet back to where it was pre-surgery.

Chris and Davante looked the same and they seemed to tire as the nite wore on. Davante does look to have slimmed down.

This team is going to be small next year relying on all the switchables, unless Buzz can find a ready-made big ( or two ).

Gato78
10-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Deonte needs to be in an offensive system that can create matchup problems--Buzz's offense is perfect for him. He is not a scrimmage guy, not the kind of guy that will play well in all star games. Get a guard on him and he can go to the tin. Get a taller guy on him and Deonte goes outside to keep the middle smaller. I really like what he brings in a team environment. Lots of competition for minutes (see, Jameel McKay) so he may not see a lot of time this year but I think he can be an all-conference level player by his senior year.

WarriorOMalley82
10-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Buzz was very candid at the fish fry, he thinks we are a work in progress and will have many bumps along the road especially early. He is not really sure of anyone other than CO, DG,and JW. He stated that all the other players have question marks that have not been answered in actual play. The more I listen to Buzz speak the more I want him here for a long time. Had dinner with Deonte found him to be a thoughtful well spoken young man, always polite and smiling. His body is Big East ready right now lower body is extremely strong. During the scrimmage I was very impressed with John Dawson he did not look overwhelmed at all played very nice defense( tho that could be because he was facing Derrick), his offense was smooth not flashy , but did get his team into its offensive sets. I thought Derrick looked very much like last year. I was also impressed with Juan his game seemed very much more aggressive, if he can continue to be aggressive on both ends he might have a breakout year. Chris will have a big year, he seals off his defender better than anyone in the league. I think we will be getting a lot of points at the center position. JaJaun is as smooth as they come with the ball, he can get in the lane at will and never looked out of sorts or rushed with ball, I expect he will be very very good before his time here is done. I also thought Deonte held his own on defense and offense, but as a freshman was out of position or just lost as to where he was supposed to go, I think that is expected in his freshman year, he might turn out to be the best player in year two or three.

MU/Panther
10-26-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't know any coach that is sure of his team in October.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
10-27-2013, 04:37 PM
From what I've seen of Deonte, I think he can fill that 3/4 role that was played so well by Hayward and Crowder in the past. I love his physique and tenacity. I missed the fish fry scrimmage, so thanks for the reports.

TheSultan
10-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1m
Best player for Marquette in scrimmage against Illinois State? Jamil Wilson.

TheSultan
10-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Oh, and can anyone help this guy out?

FromRags2Riches ‏@ShowTime_McKay 38m
Is there any gym open in mil now ?

kneelb4zerg
10-27-2013, 07:24 PM

I need to stop following him but his tweets since he left the team are either hilarious or pathetic or both.

Hamostradamus
10-27-2013, 09:05 PM

His tweets are pretty sad. I actually feel for the kid, he has no idea what he's doing. Room Board and Tuition for Iowa State is $14,000 per semester.

Nukem2
10-27-2013, 09:16 PM
His tweets are pretty sad. I actually feel for the kid, he has no idea what he's doing. Room Board and Tuition for Iowa State is $14,000 per semester.
In state or out of state...?

MUMac
10-27-2013, 09:31 PM
In state or out of state...?

That looks like out of state to me. I doubt Iowans pay $28K per year.

Hamostradamus
10-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Out of state. Plus books, laundry money, I am guessing but there has to be a bunch of other things a scholly player gets that a mid-semester walk-on does not.

MayorBeluga
10-27-2013, 10:17 PM
I am guessing but there has to be a bunch of other things a scholly player gets that a mid-semester walk-on does not.

Respect, obviously.

TheSultan
10-28-2013, 05:26 AM
He'd likely receive a tuition waiver so that he'd pay in state tuition. Most state systems allow a limited number of those. Not sure about the laws in Iowa though.

MUMac
10-28-2013, 07:16 AM
He'd likely receive a tuition waiver so that he'd pay in state tuition. Most state systems allow a limited number of those. Not sure about the laws in Iowa though.

I would question that. It needs to comply with NCAA rules. If he is given one, what are the qualifications and is it due to his athletic status? Those are issues that would need to be addressed.

Hamostradamus
10-28-2013, 07:23 AM

I have to think the NCAA would be all over this. Any time a school is out of scholarships and wants to give a walk-on a little somethin', I bet the compliance people go berserk.

BLT
10-28-2013, 08:12 AM
I saw on his Twitter that McKay will be working on setting up his "officials".

TheSultan
10-28-2013, 08:50 AM
In Wisconsin, tuition waivers are granted up to a certain dollar level for students who meet certain guidelines as established by the institution. For instance, one campus might give a break for international students...one might give a break for students with "extraordinary talent," be that music, athletics, etc. This type of system isn't unique to Wisconsin - many states have similar types of programs. As long as you aren't showing any favoritism on how those are applied, I would think that would be OK per the NCAA. (For instance, if they have given such waivers to help athletes on partial scholarships previously.)

However, in doing a quick search, it doesn't look like the State of Iowa allows such tuition waivers at the undergraduate level. However he *may* be able to catch a break since he graduated from a juco in Iowa...but the semester at Marquette might prevent that from happening.

MUMac
10-28-2013, 08:15 PM
In Wisconsin, tuition waivers are granted up to a certain dollar level for students who meet certain guidelines as established by the institution. For instance, one campus might give a break for international students...one might give a break for students with "extraordinary talent," be that music, athletics, etc. This type of system isn't unique to Wisconsin - many states have similar types of programs. As long as you aren't showing any favoritism on how those are applied, I would think that would be OK per the NCAA. (For instance, if they have given such waivers to help athletes on partial scholarships previously.)

However, in doing a quick search, it doesn't look like the State of Iowa allows such tuition waivers at the undergraduate level. However he *may* be able to catch a break since he graduated from a juco in Iowa...but the semester at Marquette might prevent that from happening.

You are not looking at if from the NCAA perspective. I know there can be issues putting someone on scholarship after assistance. Not certain of all the rules here, but the fact he may qualify may or may not be applicable.