PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Graduation Rates

Goose85
10-25-2013, 09:46 AM
The NCAA has released the Graduation Success Rate covering freshmen classes from 2003 - 2006 were in today's Journal/Sentinel. Indicates that 82% of athletes that entered school in 2006 earned a diploma within 6 years.

The four year graduation rates for the state schools are as follows;
UWGB - 100%
MU - 77%
UWM - 67%
UW - 44% (UW football was 72%).

IWB
10-25-2013, 10:19 AM
How in the world is UW football higher than basketball? Is it because most football players are there 5 years?

MUMac
10-25-2013, 10:22 AM
How in the world is UW football higher than basketball? Is it because most football players are there 5 years?

I think it is because football recruits more similarly to MU than basketball does at UW.

Goose85
10-25-2013, 10:49 AM

I'm sure the redshirting of most football players does help as they are for sure in school for 5 years. Add the 5th year to summer classes and that must really help.

Phantom Warrior
10-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Does the first set of numbers refer to basketball graduation rates or the graduation rate of all athletes? If it's the latter, I'm surprised MU's is relatively low (77%).

If it's basketball-related, and UW's rate is 44%, how can that be. So many Badger basketball players red shirt. Either way, 44% is incredibly low. And if it represents all student-athletes, then UW has a major problem.

Goose85
10-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Does the first set of numbers refer to basketball graduation rates or the graduation rate of all athletes? If it's the latter, I'm surprised MU's is relatively low (77%).

If it's basketball-related, and UW's rate is 44%, how can that be. So many Badger basketball players red shirt. Either way, 44% is incredibly low. And if it represents all student-athletes, then UW has a major problem.

Just men's basketball players.

Phantom Warrior
10-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Wonder what Fran, Red, Butch, Bunly, and the rest of that contingent have to say about a 44% graduation rate of basketball players over four years?

Actually, I know what they will say: "at UW athletes actually have to go to class." Yeah, but they also have to pass the classes. Hell, I'm not satisfied with MU's 77%.

Phantom Warrior
10-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Check out this link: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index.html

The NCAA has us as being a member of the American Athletic Conference! Holy Crap!

Meanwhile a 77% graduation rate is the lowest in years. Kind of disappointing.

unclejohn
10-25-2013, 04:18 PM
That 77% rate includes Vander, who left early, Buyckes who quit in the middle of his senior year to pursue the NBA, and probably a few others. I am not sure if Jae and DJO and a few others graduated. OTOH, Chris Otule has already graduated twice, so that ought to bump the average a bit. Seriously, if guys quit early to pursue a professional career, that is a pretty rational decision, and I have no problem with it. Those are the only players I can think of recently who did not graduate.

MUMac
10-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Check out this link: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index.html

The NCAA has us as being a member of the American Athletic Conference! Holy Crap!

Meanwhile a 77% graduation rate is the lowest in years. Kind of disappointing.

That would be the year of DJ, Wes, Jerel, Dwight Burke, Mo Acker and Matt Mortenson, correct? How do they come up with the %?

IWB
10-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Otule didn't graduate twice, only once.

DJO did graduate.

Mortensen was not on track to graduate when he left.

Lazar, Buycks and Jae have not graduated. Buycks has 5 classes left, Lazar has 3?

MUMac
10-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Otule didn't graduate twice, only once.

DJO did graduate.

Mortensen was not on track to graduate when he left.

Lazar, Buycks and Jae have not graduated. Buycks has 5 classes left, Lazar has 3?

Then it was Mortenson who was the issue with the current graduation rate.

unclejohn
10-25-2013, 09:15 PM
I thought Chris picked up a Masters already? Well if not, he will soon. He should be in a position to pick up at least that many post-graduate credits. I know that Barone and Kinsella both earned Masters in their extra year on campus. They were pretty bright guys.

IWB
10-25-2013, 10:26 PM
He is working on his masters right now, but depending on what happens with his career he may not get it. All depends.

I won't comment on Mort's situation in public, but no - he was not on track.