PDA

View Full Version : NBA GM Survey

CaribouJim
10-23-2013, 08:37 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/2013-14-nba-gm-survey/index.html

Love these polls - fun to argue about.

Who is the best shooting guard in the NBA?
1. James Harden, Houston -- 56.7%
2. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers -- 20.0%
3. Stephen Curry, Golden State; Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City; Paul George, Indiana -- 6.7%
6. Dwyane Wade, Miami -- 3.3%

Which player is the best pure shooter?
1. Stephen Curry, Golden State -- 44.8%
2. Ray Allen, Miami -- 24.1%
3. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City -- 10.3%
4. Kyle Korver, Atlanta; Steve Novak, Toronto -- 6.9%

DWade no doubt on the south side of his game - injuries playing a big part, but that goes with his style of game. From a career perspective, IMO DWade is tied for 3rd, no worse than 4th all-time 2-guard behind MJ, Kobe and tied with or just behind Jerry West.

Markedman
10-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Kevin Love tweeted that he won the "white guy award" lol

AbovetheRim
10-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Personally, and this is just me, I'd put Wade behind Drexler and at a similar level or maybe a slight notch up on Reggie Miller. Too many average team performance seasons with him as the leader to say he's clearly ahead of those two.

CaribouJim
10-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Personally, and this is just me, I'd put Wade behind Drexler and at a similar level or maybe a slight notch up on Reggie Miller. Too many average team performance seasons with him as the leader to say he's clearly ahead of those two.

Could not disagree more on Reggie and I liked Reggie a lot, but like you said, that is just me. I could see the Drexler argument, but I still don't agree.

How do you define average - MJ had multiple below .500 or just above .500 years at the start of his career. Look at Wade's playoff record his first 3 years. Save for the '07 hiccup and that one injury riddled year his playoff record has been exemplary. Yes, 3 of those seasons were with LBJ, but LBJ didn't shine in the final series against Dallas although he most certainly carried the Heat and Wade on his back this past year. For the first 80% of last year Wade had one his most efficient seasons of his career before the wheels fell off. It will be interesting to see if he is ever healthy again.

You can make more than a legitimate argument that DWade was the best player on the planet during that '06 season - Kobe spent the season whining and LBJ was still honing his game. I have little doubt but for his stomach injury the year before against the Pistons that the Heat would have been in the finals against the Spurs in '05 as well as '06.

TheSultan
10-23-2013, 12:16 PM

I would rather have a guy who's star burned brighter...and REALLY bright...for a shorter period of time. Wade for a couple seasons was arguably the best player in the league and single-handedly won a team an NBA title. Drexler was better longer, but I think he gets a little overrated because a great deal of what he accomplished was in the defense-optional NBA Western Conference of the late 80s. And he didn't win anything until he latched on to the Rockets at the end of his career.

And I think Miller is clearly behind both of them. Miller clearly had his moments, but if you look at his year to year stats, you can see how they pale to both of them.

pbiflyer
10-23-2013, 03:29 PM
I would rather have a guy who's star burned brighter...and REALLY bright...for a shorter period of time. Wade for a couple seasons was arguably the best player in the league and single-handedly won a team an NBA title. Drexler was better longer, but I think he gets a little overrated because a great deal of what he accomplished was in the defense-optional NBA Western Conference of the late 80s. And he didn't win anything until he latched on to the Rockets at the end of his career.

And I think Miller is clearly behind both of them. Miller clearly had his moments, but if you look at his year to year stats, you can see how they pale to both of them.

Agree completely. Look at Bo Jackson, Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders in football. But on top of it all, Wade has 3 rings and a Finals MVP to go with it all.