PDA

View Full Version : Duane out with stress fracture

TheSultan
10-21-2013, 04:03 PM
#mubb's Duane Wilson (@SwaggyDu1) to miss start of 2013-14 with stress fracture in left leg.

AbovetheRim
10-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Calling John Dawson or maybe Jake can provide some backup PG minutes???

TheSultan
10-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Calling John Dawson or maybe Jake can provide some backup PG minutes???

I would guess Mayo playing some point with JJJ or Jake playing off the ball.

Nukem2
10-21-2013, 04:13 PM
A tough loss for the short-term. Longer-term that really puts Duane behind the curve.

MUBasketball
10-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Per the clueless Mike Clements on 1250 doing the updates, the injury occured to Marquette point guard "Donovan......Duncan Wilson".

It's not terrible since I fully expected Derrick to get the lion's share of minutes, especially early. But like Nukem says, any true freshman missing even one day is huge. Hopefully he can bounce back quickly.

kneelb4zerg
10-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Mark Miller ‏@WisBBYearbook 2m

Freshman John Dawson, who has been impressive in early workouts/practices, may get shot at minutes at PG for MU with Duane Wilson injured.
Collapse

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-21-2013, 04:48 PM
It just says the start, anyone have any idea how long these types of injuries take to heal?

warriorfan4life
10-21-2013, 04:51 PM
I just hope that he is ready after the Thanksgiving tourneys to help get acclimated for Big East play.

Edit: To answer Buzz's point, normally a month or so. I believe that Wesley missed three weeks or so with his stress fracture, but they all respond differently.

Nukem2
10-21-2013, 04:56 PM
It just says the start, anyone have any idea how long these types of injuries take to heal?

Wesley Matthews was out for 5 or so weeks with a similar in-season injury as a frosh, missing 8 games.

Mucrisco
10-21-2013, 05:02 PM
I know people were looking forward to seeing him play and expect a lot out of him. He's a dynamite player. I've sat on the bench in a couple of games against him. However, long term, I think this could benefit us. I've always seen Dawson more as the point guard of the future. Dawson passes ahead, is very unselfish, and gets people the ball at the right spots. I've always felt that Dawson could be the playmaker and set up Duane and JuJuan in positions to score. So, I could see all three of those players starting with Dawson as initiating the offense.

My fear was that with Duane getting the backup point guard minutes, Dawson might have gotten lost in the mix. Now, Dawson has the opportunity to play a bigger role. Let him carry the burden of being the coach on the floor. The point guard for Buzz has to be the extension of the coach on the floor. He has to know what Buzz wants in any given situation. He needs to read the game and play at the right tempo. He should know when to push it and when to settle things down. He has to make sure that everyone is involved in the game and getting the ball enough and in the right spots. Let Dawson be that guy. Then Duane Wilson will be free to be a wrecking ball on the offensive end. Play them both at the same time, and we'd have two point guards on the floor. They'd be like a Jay Williams/Chris Duhon combination.

Markedman
10-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Wesley missed 8 games. He was injured on Dec. 28 and returned to play Feb 1.

I assume Duane was injured about a week ago?

bleedbluegold03
10-21-2013, 05:48 PM
may or may not write him off for his freshman year. I would contend that's a bigger loss than McKay for this season.

Freshmen more than anyone need the cupcakes to get situated with the speed of the game and the flow of the system.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-21-2013, 05:57 PM
So if he is out 6 weeks he would be back for the Arizona St. Game, I'd hardly say you should write him off for the whole year.

warriorfan4life
10-21-2013, 06:00 PM
If he cannot come back by the end of the non-conference slate, and Derrick Wilson and Dawson are performing well, I think a redshirt has to be a possibility. He does not have to use that extra season of eligibility, but keep it on the table.

mufan2003
10-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Don't forget how the 4-week XMAS break allows for more practice time or even longer practices. If Duane is back before then, he could use the 4-week XMAS break to get back into form.

MU/Panther
10-21-2013, 06:45 PM
This news makes me sick. Well, next man up!

Nukem2
10-21-2013, 06:50 PM
So if he is out 6 weeks he would be back for the Arizona St. Game, I'd hardly say you should write him off for the whole year.TE only problem is all rather missed pre-season practice time as a frosh. That's hard to make up. With Matthews, at least he had that practice time plus most of the NC schedule. Hope for the best.

TheSultan
10-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Duane apparently tweeted(?) that it will be 8-12 weeks. Makes you wonder if a redshirt is the best option.

warriorfan4life
10-21-2013, 07:25 PM
If he is out that long, then I would think that a redshirt has to be a possibility. You never know how these will heal, so timelines are just a best guess. I would estimate a 3-4 week minimum, and then it will depend how everything reacts to rest and treatment.

Markedman
10-21-2013, 07:25 PM
I follow Duane and he hasn't tweeted anything since Oct 10 and nothing about his injury as far as I can tell. Unless he deleted it?

TheSultan
10-21-2013, 07:28 PM
I follow Duane and he hasn't tweeted anything since Oct 10 and nothing about his injury as far as I can tell. Unless he deleted it?

I should have looked before I guessed...it was a tweet by someone else.

The Sports ReKap @SaidOnTheReKap

Duane Wilson says he will probably be out 8-12 weeks with a stress fracture in his left leg #mubb

MUMac
10-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Duane apparently tweeted(?) that it will be 8-12 weeks. Makes you wonder if a redshirt is the best option.

That sounds like more than a stress fracture, then. I read somewhere, speculation?, that it was the leg. 4-6 weeks is what my kids were always told, unless it developed into a fracture - then 8-12 may be right.

Nukem2
10-21-2013, 07:55 PM
That sounds like more than a stress fracture, then. I read somewhere, speculation?, that it was the leg. 4-6 weeks is what my kids were always told, unless it developed into a fracture - then 8-12 may be right.If its 8-12, a redshirt is in order...?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-21-2013, 08:03 PM
It's easy for us to say a redshirt is in order but so much goes into that decision. Does Duane want to be in college for 5 years? This reminds me of Junior's freshman year when he decided to come back and play late in the season. Redshirting isn't for everyone, I'm sure it will be discussed with him and his family but that ultimately may not be what he wants and I really don't see Buzz forcing it on him.

Nukem2
10-21-2013, 08:39 PM
It's easy for us to say a redshirt is in order but so much goes into that decision. Does Duane want to be in college for 5 years? This reminds me of Junior's freshman year when he decided to come back and play late in the season. Redshirting isn't for everyone, I'm sure it will be discussed with him and his family but that ultimately may not be what he wants and I really don't see Buzz forcing it on him.
That's why I ended the post with .....? Who knows. Upto DW.

TedBaxter
10-22-2013, 04:54 AM
The good news is that John Dawson and Derrick Wilson will get all of the point guard reps in practice so hopefully they will be more prepared and confident for the first few games.

BLT
10-22-2013, 08:05 AM
A PT can jump in here but a stress fracture is usually a foot or lower leg which absorb all the shock. Typically a lower leg is 4-6 weeks boot rested, while a more serious one is 8-12. Buzz tends to be conservative so it sounds like Duane is in between on the 6-8 week estimate. Talk of a red shirt is a bit premature, IMO. Didn't DJO also have a stress fracture preseason?

Nukem2
10-22-2013, 08:06 AM
A PT can jump in here but a stress fracture is usually a foot or lower leg which absorb all the shock. Typically a lower leg is 4-6 weeks boot rested, while a more serious one is 8-12. Buzz tends to be conservative so it sounds like Duane is in between on the 6-8 week estimate. Talk of a red shirt is a bit premature, IMO. Didn't DJO also have a stress fracture preseason?
DJO had plantar fasciitis.

BLT
10-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks Nuke. I remember he was in a boot. Sometimes plantar fasciitis is worse. Sorry Mac about the repeat report on the time possibly out...was on the train bouncing around like a bag of groceries.