PDA

View Full Version : Two random questions

The Reptile
10-12-2013, 11:33 AM
I have two questions based on some of the posts on the boards of late.

Question 1: Do visiting players really care about the madness events the same way we fans do?

I've heard a lot about how entertaining the events at Kansas and Kentucky are. I have also head that our event was, well boring. How do the recruits feel about it. I'm thinking while it would be nice if the event doesn't suck but if I'm being recruited I am really only interested in seeing the team take the floor. Once on campus all of the other stuff goes away in the blink of an eye and what remains are school, practice and those involved with the team. Anyone have other thoughts on the subject?

Question 2: With all if our talent Buzz will have work to do to get down to a rotation and there is a predetermined number of minutes assigned to players. Is this really true?

My sense is that it is not that simple. Buzz usually has a formula to get us wins. Something like we need X number of possessions, Y number of offensive rebounds and generate Z number of free throw attempts. That metric doesn't involve players or PT. In addition, the game to game match ups may require us to have different personnel on the floor for different minutes to get those numbers.

Buzz is on record as saying he wants us to play faster. Is that an attempt to get more players on the floor in a game, get happy players or simply the math talking? What does play fast mean anyway - shots faster, more pressing or he feels we need more possessions to get to a number of points has in mind.

I'm curious to hear other takes in what this means. I know the one answer I already have is that the fans concepts of reality probably don't mean much to the athlete being recruited or the coach calling the shots.

TheSultan
10-12-2013, 11:41 AM
With regards to question #1, I would like to know how many of us have actually been to a UK or KU madness event? My experience is that TV does a lot to hype up some things that in person don't quite measure up.

And I would think that the recruits like it. Otherwise why would Buzz keep using it as a recruiting tool?

Gato78
10-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Q#1: IWB has some insight into this which I think he will share in an article. I think they love it.

Phantom Warrior
10-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Buzz once said he wanted to play the way that Missouri team that beat us in the tournament played, or like the way the Washington team that beat us in the tournament played. Both teams went 10 deep (10 players averaging double-digit minutes), and they put pressure on the entire game. They often picked up three-quarter court, and they trapped a lot in half court. They also looked to run at every opportunity.

I think this year's team will go 10 deep, meaning 10 players will get double-digits mpg.

At the 1, both Derrick and Duane will be in double digits. Same with Todd and JJ at the 2, Steve and Jameel at the 4, and Chris and Davante at the 5. Jamil will likely get around 28 mpg at the 3. Ultimately, either Juan or Deonte will get the bulk of the minutes behind him.

I think Jake and John, along with either Juan or Deonte, will get spot minutes.

MUMac
10-12-2013, 12:59 PM
With regards to question #1, I would like to know how many of us have actually been to a UK or KU madness event? My experience is that TV does a lot to hype up some things that in person don't quite measure up.

And I would think that the recruits like it. Otherwise why would Buzz keep using it as a recruiting tool?

I was not at the KU event, but did watch it on TV (along with tons of KU fans) in a Lawrence sports bar. My daughter has attended, and briefly attended that night as they also honored the KU Women's National Championhip Track Team. I can form an opinion based on what I had seen. It is an event. It has atmosphere. I commented to some that I felt like it was a Final 4 atmosphere. While I agree that is hyperbole, I do believe they make it quite an event for the fans, players and recruits. It was VERY impressive. I would love to attend in person next year.

unclejohn
10-12-2013, 06:05 PM
The enthusiasm of the crowd at Madness, like other aspects of a basketball program, is going to differ from team to team. Better programs are generally going to have better facilities, better schedules, better media coverage, and more and more enthusiastic fans at Madness. And better programs get to recruit better players. Marquette is probably recruiting few players who are also being recruited by Central Michigan or UWM. Then again, we will generally lose out to Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky.

But lots of things enter into a recruit's decision, and I am not sure that the crowd at Madness is a major one. The most important of course is the coach. Beyond that, I think it helps to recruit players when the guys who are already there tell them that the team has great fan support, and they can actually see some fans come out and support them. Then again, we are not going to draw 20,000 to Madness like Kentucky. I am sure that impresses some recruits there. On the other hand, I am not sure every recruit would be so pleased. It is kind of scary to know that if you attend a particular university, 20,000 people are going to want to know what you have for breakfast every morning. I have often thought that coaching jobs like that are not for everybody. Not everybody wants to work at a place where there is huge pressure to win at any cost, by whatever means, legal or illegal.

Anyway, I am sure new guys coming in appreciate seeing lots of fans at Madness, and I expect it turns the head of a recruit or two.