PDA

View Full Version : The ESPN Sweet 16 show will save Marquette’s team and fans a lot of time

TulsaWarrior
03-19-2012, 03:29 PM
The message – don’t bother to show up.

(1) Florida is too good and too well coached

(2) Marquette only has two players who can score

(3) Georgia Basketball Coach Mark Fox, “Jae Crowder wasn’t smart enough academically to get into an SEC school.” Implicate for DJO?

(4) Cadougan is inconsistent and can’t cover Florida’s guards

(5) Bob Valano, “Don’t confuse Marquette’s high activity level with getting anything done.” “They will go into ten minute droughts where they can’t score.”

(6) Valvano, "This is an average team masked by Crowder’s ability on the court." (if not in the classroom)

The Panels overall message -- Marquette can stay in Milwaukee no need showing up the Gators have this one in the bag.

Hamostradamus
03-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Whew! That's a relief. I can get to those gutters Thursday night.

Mark Miller
03-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Bob Valvano didn't have Jae Crowder on his first-team all-Big East squad.

Enough said.

MUMac
03-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I have always thought of the SEC schools as the Ivy League of the South. Some real intelligent "Student" Athletes have matriculated at those schools. Uber intelligent coaches as well.

MUMac
03-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Bob Valvano didn't have Jae Crowder on his first-team all-Big East squad.

Enough said.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but does anyone know who Bob Valvano is if his brother didn't cheat and die early of cancer? Seriously, what has he accomplished on his own?

kneelb4zerg
03-19-2012, 03:50 PM
The message – don’t bother to show up.

(1) Florida is too good and too well coached

(2) Marquette only has two players who can score

(3) Georgia Basketball Coach Mark Fox, “Jae Crowder wasn’t smart enough academically to get into an SEC school.” Implicate for DJO?
(4) Cadougan is inconsistent and can’t cover Florida’s guards

(5) Bob Valano, “Don’t confuse Marquette’s high activity level with getting anything done.” “They will go into ten minute droughts where they can’t score.”

(6) Valvano, "This is an average team masked by Crowder’s ability on the court." (if not in the classroom)

The Panels overall message -- Marquette can stay in Milwaukee no need showing up the Gators have this one in the bag.

I'm sorry, are you saying that the head coach of another high major institution called the BE POY "dumb?" Holy cow. Think he's pissed to see a player from Georgia dominate the Big East?

Goose85
03-19-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm sorry, are you saying that the head coach of another high major institution called the BE POY "dumb?" Holy cow. Think he's pissed to see a player from Georgia dominate the Big East?

Wow - he must really be taking some heat for not recruiting Jae to Georgia and thinks that is the way to explain it away. I can't believe a fellow coach would say that about a kid. That will come back to bite him (I hope).

Markedman
03-19-2012, 04:39 PM
He said that he didn't qualify out of high school and had to go to 2 Junior colleges to get eligible which is true. He never called him dumb or said he wasn't smart enough etc....He was put in a tough spot by the guy who asked the question...."Crowder is the BE POY and he is from Georgia....why didn't you land him?

Other then that they don't seem to be very impressed with us....lol......It's amazing that they could do a whole segment on Marquette and never mention DJO by name.

kneelb4zerg
03-19-2012, 04:45 PM
He said that he didn't qualify out of high school and had to go to 2 Junior colleges to get eligible which is true. He never called him dumb or said he wasn't smart enough etc....He was put in a tough spot by the guy who asked the question...."Crowder is the BE POY and he is from Georgia....why didn't you land him?

Other then that they don't seem to be very impressed with us....lol......It's amazing that they could do a whole segment on Marquette and never mention DJO by name.

OK, I didn't see it, that makes more sense.

mufansince72
03-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Good. We can play the Wisconsin "we get no respect" card! Should get the team motivated.

IWB
03-19-2012, 05:07 PM
He said that he didn't qualify out of high school and had to go to 2 Junior colleges to get eligible which is true.

That is not true. Crowder did not go to Juco because he didn't qualify. Crowder went to Juco because no one recruited him, in a nutshell, he was fat. He went to two Jucos because the first one was found not to be accredited, so he switched in order for his grades to count towards the clearinghouse.

Markedman
03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the correction. I assumed he wasn't a qualifier and Fox mentioned something about an SEC rule when mentioning 2 JC's etc.....not exactly sure what he was getting at.

Found this recent article on Jae from a Georgia paper.....http://www.times-georgian.com/view/full_story/17875596/article-Last-Dance-with-Madness?instance=TG_sports_news

IWB
03-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Great link - says it right there in the article, he was over weight and out of shape and no one wanted him.

I also think Jae got jobbed in the Naismith balloting. Of the five finalists, you have the Big 10 player of the year, the SEC player of the year, the Big XII player of the year and McDermott, but no Big East player of the year.

MUMac
03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Great article. Thanks for the link markedman. I can understand the inability of the Villa Rica players to understand some of the stories. He is BE POY. Man, in a short period of time he came from no where to potential NBA player. Unbelievable story. Different, but as interesting as Jimmy's story last year.

SchoolofZupko
03-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Mark Fox is a hack coach who will do nothing at UGA. He inherited a UNR program from Trent Johnson that was drunk with recruits. He's destined for a life as a side kick asst. coach. What's more, to say that Jae couldn't hack SEC academics, please. Could Coach Fox handle SEC academics?

Goose85
03-19-2012, 07:51 PM
In this day and age kids go to JUCO schools for many reasons.

Guys like Butler and Jae weren't recruited and that was their way of getting a better shot. Some kids go prep school, some go Juco. Doesn't mean they didn't qualify, it just means they wanted to play hoops and that is how they were going to get exposure.

I've said this before. I have a nephew that played college baseball at Indiana last year. Like most baseball players he didn't have a schollie. When one wasn't offered one for year 2 he chose a juco for a year as he didn't want to sit out. He has a schollie at another D1 school for next year. Yep, he is a juco who had a 4.0 grade average at Indiana. But I'm sure many will just see he went to a juco and think he didn't have grades.

TulsaWarrior
03-19-2012, 08:15 PM
I can't believe my eyes. I just went over to Marquette Scoop Board and a guy has cut and pasted my post from here and put it up as his own. I guess I should be flattered.

IWB
03-19-2012, 09:22 PM
How about the Scoop rip on Junior? Points and turnovers do not explain Junior Cadougan. Watch the entire team when Junior goes out, then comes back in. It is like a calm comes over the entire team. Jae & DJ may be the leaders, but there is no question that Junior Cadougan runs that team.

Look at Murray State's all world guard Isaiah Canaan. Who guarded him? Not DJO, but primarily Junior and Todd Mayo. When I first walked into the locker room after the game, you know what happened first? Junior calls me out - "Coach, was Canaan really 4-17?" I said yes, and a huge smile came over his face. I couldn't have been happier for him. The guy has been through hell and back, especially this summer, and has earned every bit of what he has gotten.

Drbchilds
03-19-2012, 09:34 PM
The comments by Fox really got me pissed. I have had my Marquette flags flying proudly on my car the whole year and I would LOVE to keep them up for the next 2 months or so. I live in Florida, so this is especially meaningful for me.......

kneelb4zerg
03-19-2012, 10:31 PM
How about the Scoop rip on Junior? Points and turnovers do not explain Junior Cadougan. Watch the entire team when Junior goes out, then comes back in. It is like a calm comes over the entire team. Jae & DJ may be the leaders, but there is no question that Junior Cadougan runs that team.

Look at Murray State's all world guard Isaiah Canaan. Who guarded him? Not DJO, but primarily Junior and Todd Mayo. When I first walked into the locker room after the game, you know what happened first? Junior calls me out - "Coach, was Canaan really 4-17?" I said yes, and a huge smile came over his face. I couldn't have been happier for him. The guy has been through hell and back, especially this summer, and has earned every bit of what he has gotten.

Scoop is an embarrassment, and if the moderators had any sense, they'd just shut it down if they don't want to bother regulating the insanity that goes on over there.

What happened to Junior over the summer?

IWB
03-19-2012, 10:42 PM
I won't go into detail, but will say that he lost his father.

MUMac
03-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately, since I left dodds board and until Jim started this, I had been relegated to Scoop. There really are some doozies over there. They love to attack the players on the team. Many of them do not understand basketball is more than offense. Their attacks on Vander, Junior, Otule, Mayo and even DJO & Jae. A few will even attack after a good game, pointing out the one or two flaws. Some real classless jerks, IMHO.

That thread on Junior was horrible and an embarassement.

Goose85
03-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Never go to scoop, can't stand that type of stuff.

Junior is the goods, top shelf. Buzz said there are two things in life that bring him peace / calmness, his wife and when Junior has the ball in his hands.
Sure he has some turnovers, he is the point guard. But when you look at what he does in totality, he is great for MU and this team.

Junior not only passes the ball well, he gets the ball to his teammates in positions where it helps them finish their move. This is especially important with big guys. I know Otule is out, but Junior has a knack for getting Otule the ball in great postions. We have that to look forward to next year.

CaribouJim
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM

When the seedings were first announced that same panel ALL said that there was no way that MU could beat Mizzou if they met - we'll never know now, but they certainly didn't pick Mizzou to lose in the first game either. Doesn't seem to ber much nuance on that panel. I do get tired of the "they're too well coached" stuff - Buzz has done a lot more with a lot less than most of these iconic coaches.