PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Jake Thomas stats

Nukem2
10-09-2013, 03:48 PM
We all remember Jake's important momentum changing 4 point play against Syracuse at the BC this past February. I was perusing composite stats for BE-only games for last season and noticed that Jake was 1 for 6 from the field ( 3 point attempts ) and scored a total of 4 points. All of his BE point production was on that one play.

TheSultan
10-09-2013, 04:18 PM
We all remember Jake's important momentum changing 4 point play against Syracuse at the BC this past February. I was perusing composite stats for BE-only games for last season and noticed that Jake was 1 for 6 from the field ( 3 point attempts ) and scored a total of 4 points. All of his BE point production was on that one play.

Yeah, I noticed that when he decided to return this year. I am simply not expecting much of anything.

ValiantSailor
10-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Players never improve.

VS

Goose85
10-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Jake needs confidence. I often wonder how his season might have been different had he hit that shot at Green Bay.

Jake is a lights out shooter that can play a role if he gets off to a good start by hitting a few shots early in the season.

TheSultan
10-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Players never improve.

VS

Four year players (three of actually playing) can marginally improve. But we are talking about a guy who hit one shot during the BE season last year, on a team that lacked quality shooters.

How much improvement do you expect?

TheSultan
10-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Jake needs confidence. I often wonder how his season might have been different had he hit that shot at Green Bay.

Jake is a lights out shooter that can play a role if he gets off to a good start by hitting a few shots early in the season.

I disagree that it is merely a confidence issue. He doesn't have the ability to put the ball on the floor consistently at this level, so he gets blanketed.

Great guy, great teammate, but there is a reason he wasn't recruited by high level programs out of high school.

IWB
10-10-2013, 09:09 AM
I disagree. I have seen Jake play with the guys behind close doors on many occasions and know what he can do. Last year I think he had major confidence issues and I have spoken to him about that. He is driven, worked his ass off this off season to ensure that he is more than a role player. Only time will tell, but I think Jake is more than just a bench warmer.

Nukem2
10-10-2013, 09:16 AM
I disagree. I have seen Jake play with the guys behind close doors on many occasions and know what he can do. Last year I think he had major confidence issues and I have spoken to him about that. He is driven, worked his ass off this off season to ensure that he is more than a role player. Only time will tell, but I think Jake is more than just a bench warmer.

Surely hope he can help as perimeter shooting is still a question mark for this squad.

TheSultan
10-10-2013, 09:19 AM

I'll believe it when I see it when the games actually count for something.

Nukem2
10-10-2013, 09:35 AM

Well, he certainly does have something to offer as per his outings in the first games versus Butler and Syracuse. Can he get beyond that...we shall see...?

MUfan12
10-10-2013, 11:42 AM
I want to see him hit a few shots to he can utilize a ball fake more often. I wonder if getting a defender in the air and taking a rhythm dribble might help him a bit.

Regardless, there's a niche that he can fill on this team. Hope he's able to do it.

ValiantSailor
10-10-2013, 11:56 AM
I am simply not expecting much of anything.

How much improvement do you expect?

Every year, someone steps up and shows a game that we'd never seen before: Otule, Butler, Cubillan, Acker, et cetera. After the year is over, we can revisit your predictions and discuss their accuracy. My guess is you'll be eating your words.

Whenever I've seen a player perform far lower than expected, I look for reasons. Looks to me that Jake's reasons are comfort-related. I think that can be corrected.

VS

TheSultan
10-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Every year, someone steps up and shows a game that we'd never seen before: Otule, Butler, Cubillan, Acker, et cetera. After the year is over, we can revisit your predictions and discuss their accuracy. My guess is you'll be eating your words.

Whenever I've seen a player perform far lower than expected, I look for reasons. Looks to me that Jake's reasons are comfort-related. I think that can be corrected.

VS

Hey that's completely fair. And if he turns out to be a real contributor, please feel free to link back to my posts and tell me how wrong I am. Really, I *want* to be wrong!!!

Goose85
10-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Jake is more athletic than one might think, but his skill is hitting the outside shot beyond the 3 line. With him struggling last year from 3, it was hard to put him in, especially with Vander getting so many minutes and Lockett coming to MU.

If he gets off to a good start, I really think with confidence we could see a completely different player. The key is the other players have confidence in his shot, so they will get him the ball.

I really hope he gets it going this year.

dubs98
10-10-2013, 12:29 PM
put me down in the camp as someone expecting a bit from jake this year. I don't think it will be consistent, but I fully expect him to be in the rotation (on the back end of it, but in it.) I also fully think we are going to have a handful of games (3-5) that he hits some big shots and/or gets near 8-10 in a game. Basketball is such a mind "f" in regards to shooting and having confidence in your shot and/or the belief that the coach is not going to yank you in 2s or with one missed shot makes such an incredible difference. The guy has some athleticism and can obviously shoot the rock. I don't expect huge things, but I fully expect him to provide the team some positives throughout the year.

JohnnyRev
10-10-2013, 03:45 PM
I too have seen Jake not only in the summer leagues but several times in closed scrimmages before the season. In almost every game he has been a lights-out three point shooter whom the other guys frequently fed and who was often on the winning team because of his many points. He also has an overall game that may not be on the super level of other players but good enough not to cause a downturn in the team's fortunes when he enters a game. He is a tremendous hustler. I don't know how much he will contribute, but I will be very disappointed if he doesn't have some important role to play, especially as a zone buster.