PDA

View Full Version : MU Players in NBA 2013-2014

Goose85
10-08-2013, 09:09 AM
MU may have more than I can remember playing in the league this year.

Of the top of my head, here is where I think MU guys are right now. That is a list of ten guys with a shot.

Wade - Heat
Novak - Toronto
Buycks - Toronto
Matthews - Portland
Butler - Bulls
Crowder - Mavs
DJO - Lakers
Lockett - Kings
Blue - Philly
Hayward - Pelicans

Mark Miller
10-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Cadougan -- Bucks

Nukem2
10-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Cadougan -- Bucks

What about the visa issue...?

CaribouJim
10-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Sports Illustrated's Top 100 NBA players include 2 ex-MU players - Jimmy B @ 90 and DWade @ 8. Was expecting to see Wesley on the list - great D and finished in the top 30 for 3 pt. %.

http://nba.si.com/2013/09/20/top-100-players-of-2014-nos-10-1/2/

DCwarrior
10-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Out of the 11, I expect 7 and possibly 8, to play in the NBA this year.

IWB
10-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Yes, Bucks had to release Junior because of some visa issue.

Remember, McNeal was in Utah's camp but requested to be waived because he got a huge offer overseas.

Gato78
10-08-2013, 02:20 PM
FWIW I do not believe the "visa issue" explanation for Junior leaving the Bucks. Good God, he is from Canada. Plenty of Americans (Buycks and Novak) play in Canada. Plenty of Canadians play here. If there were problems, I would think the Senator might have a connection or two at the State Department. This is visa excuse is all BS, unless it referenced a problem going from Canada to a European or other foreign destination.

TheSultan
10-08-2013, 02:25 PM
FWIW I do not believe the "visa issue" explanation for Junior leaving the Bucks. Good God, he is from Canada. Plenty of Americans (Buycks and Novak) play in Canada. Plenty of Canadians play here. If there were problems, I would think the Senator might have a connection or two at the State Department. This is visa excuse is all BS, unless it referenced a problem going from Canada to a European or other foreign destination.

But why would they lie? Why not just release him without explanation? Nobody would have given it much thought.

I can see it being an issue. Perhaps the Bucks didn't realize he was Canadian and when he showed up on the first day, saw he didn't have the correct visa and had no choice but to release him. Or maybe Junior's agent screwed something up. But I can't see why they would lie.

Nukem2
10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
But why would they lie? Why not just release him without explanation? Nobody would have given it much thought.

I can see it being an issue. Perhaps the Bucks didn't realize he was Canadian and when he showed up on the first day, saw he didn't have the correct visa and had no choice but to release him. Or maybe Junior's agent screwed something up. But I can't see why they would lie.
I agree. Let's face it, the Bucks invited Junior to camp as a goodwill gesture. The Bucks have nothing to gain with a lie.

Hamostradamus
10-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Depending on his Canadian student visa, he perhaps couldn't sign the contract as he isn't authorized to work in the US until he returns to Canada and re-enters under a work visa. If he had a J-1, he can't work. If he had an F-1, he can only do certain kinds of off-campus work. Either way, if he never went back to Canada after graduation, then he was still in the US under some kind of student visa. To me it makes sense that they wouldn't catch it until he is offered a contract and they run his SSN. Note: My experience in immigration law is limited to watching Balki Bartokomous in Perfect Strangers.

TheSultan
10-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Depending on his Canadian student visa, he perhaps couldn't sign the contract as he isn't authorized to work in the US until he returns to Canada and re-enters under a work visa. If he had a J-1, he can't work. If he had an F-1, he can only do certain kinds of off-campus work. Either way, if he never went back to Canada after graduation, then he was still in the US under some kind of student visa. To me it makes sense that they wouldn't catch it until he is offered a contract and they run his SSN. Note: My experience in immigration law is limited to watching Balki Bartokomous in Perfect Strangers.

Thank you for that explanation. Even if it is completely wrong, I somehow still feel better for reading it. :D

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-08-2013, 04:12 PM
I would agree with others, if the Bucks really wanted Junior it wouldn't be an issue, I think what it boiled down to is that they didn't want to put in the effort for a player they were goin to cut in a few weeks anyhow.

IWB
10-09-2013, 08:05 AM
I would agree with others, if the Bucks really wanted Junior it wouldn't be an issue, I think what it boiled down to is that they didn't want to put in the effort for a player they were goin to cut in a few weeks anyhow.

So they released him and signed a replacement that they are going to cut in a few weeks anyway?

TheSultan
10-09-2013, 08:13 AM

I'm not sure why you think it wouldn't be an issue. It's not as though you can simply make a few phone calls and be issued a visa. Here is the process for temporary workers, of which athletes are included.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html#overview

That isn't a simple process. I'm sure the Bucks initiated this very early with their other foreign players to make sure they were in camp and eligible ASAP. As Hamo mentioned, it is likely that he needed to go back to Canada to get the process started.

Goose85
10-09-2013, 08:57 AM
In last night's games;
DJO - did not play coaches decision.
Vander Blue - did not play coaches decision.

Looks like David Cubillan is playing for the Maccabi Haifa team as he put up 20 last night in a game against the Pistons.

MUfan12
10-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Trent Lockett was also a DNP-CD for the Kings last night.

Goose85
10-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Trent Lockett played 2 min last night, had 2 point, 2 rebounds and 1 assist.
DJO played 8 minutes last night and had 6 points (1-1 on 3pt), 1 rebound and 1 assist.
D-Wade played 21 min last night.

Trey McKinney-Jones (South Milwaukee High / Miami / Milwaukee Pro-Am) did not play for the Bucks last night.

Goose85
10-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Vander played 14 min and had 8 points last night.
Buycks played 18 min and had 10 points last night.

Goose85
10-14-2013, 07:14 AM
David Cubillan played 46 min and scored 17 points against Memphis yesterday. Leading scorer for Maccabi.

CaribouJim
10-14-2013, 08:28 AM
David Cubillan played 46 min and scored 17 points against Memphis yesterday. Leading scorer for Maccabi.

I've got to check the NBA Channel to see if they are repeating these games or there are any more games for them coming up. That's two big games for him right?

Markedman
10-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Lazar got released by the Pelicans.

TheSultan
10-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Lazar got released by the Pelicans.

And my guess is that might be the ribbon on that package.

Nukem2
10-14-2013, 02:19 PM
And my guess is that might be the ribbon on that package.I suspect Zar should be looking for foreign opportunities...?

Goose85
10-15-2013, 11:00 AM
DJO with 5 minutes and no points last night for the Lakers.
Marcus Landry played 4 minutes and had one point for the Lakers.

Goose85
10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Buycks had 6 points, 4 rebounds and 5 assists in 21 min last night. Novak with another DNP coaches decision.

Former Badger Kam Taylor was a DNP coaches decision for Boston last night.

Crowder played 28 min and had 12 points.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-17-2013, 09:12 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-waive-guard-darius-johnson-odom-20131016,0,2469328.story

DJO waived.

Goose85
10-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Vander Blue with 15 points, 4 boards, 3 assists in 27 minutes last night. Making his case to stick with Philly.

DJO signs for $400K to play in China.

Phantom Warrior
10-18-2013, 12:11 PM
$400K? Wow! That ain't nothing to sneeze at. Is that a fairly common overseas salary, or is that out of the ordinary - reserved for players who almost made an NBA team?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-18-2013, 03:08 PM
I read that and is that the total of the deal or is that the annual value? I know when they talk contract values they often state the total value.

IWB
10-18-2013, 06:19 PM
If the Lakers cut him for the contract, I'm sure it was for this year and not total value. It was probably $400,000k and living arrangements & car.

Some of these guys are making big bucks. Travis turned down NBA offers and he was a 5 year vet, so he would get more than rookie minimum. Also, a few of the guys told me that out of all of them, Ooze is making a crap load of money, said he is doing better than all of them, and on top of that he doesn't spend a dime.

CaribouJim
10-18-2013, 08:59 PM
If the Lakers cut him for the contract, I'm sure it was for this year and not total value. It was probably $400,000k and living arrangements & car.

Some of these guys are making big bucks. Travis turned down NBA offers and he was a 5 year vet, so he would get more than rookie minimum. Also, a few of the guys told me that out of all of them, Ooze is making a crap load of money, said he is doing better than all of them, and on top of that he doesn't spend a dime.

Doesn't spend a dime? Good for him - smart dude. Bernard King and Barry Sanders allegedly were/are spendthrifts.

IWB
10-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Yes, apparently the only thing he has bought was an apartment building in Dakar Senegal for his family to own and run.

GOMU1104
10-19-2013, 12:58 AM
With the right club in the right situation, there's a lot of money out there.

OTOH, there are a lot of horror stories out there about what can happen to American players.

Goose85
10-21-2013, 09:51 AM
NBA rosters to start the season are set on October 28, one week from today. Philly has two more preseason games, one tonight and one on Wed.
Not saying play in these games is the determining factor, but hopefully Vander does well and earns his spot.

While most are safe with their teams - Blue and Lockett are still on NBA rosters with a week to go. Lockett was a DNP yesterday.

Butler - Bulls
Crowder - Mavs
Novak / Buycks - Raptors
Wes - Blazers
Wade - Heat
Blue - 76ers
Lockett - Kings

Goose85
10-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Vander was a DNP last night, as was Novak.
Buycks played 19 min with 4 points and 3 assists.

Phantom Warrior
10-22-2013, 09:44 AM
I read somewhere that Vander and Wyatt were alternating games so that both had an equal shot at making the team. Wyatt's performance probably is just as important as Vander's in terms of who survives the final cut.

Oops. Just checked. Wyatt didn't play either. Rodney Williams was back up 2G. He played 19 minutes, had 0 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist. That performance probably doesn't hurt Vander's chances.

TheSultan
10-22-2013, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't read anything positive or negative into a DNP at this point. Perhaps they know what they have in Vander and want to give minutes elsewhere.

Markedman
10-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman 27s
Former Marquette and #ASU guard Trent Lockett has been waived by the Kings. We'll see if he ends up overseas or in the D-League. #mubb

Goose85
10-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Lockett must have been close to the last guy getting waived. Too bad, but I'm sure he will find his way to a paycheck overseas.