PDA

View Full Version : 30 for 30 on Spirits of St. Louis Tomorrow Night

CaribouJim
10-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Debuts @ 7:00 PM CST on ESPN tomorrow night.

Promises to be very entertaining and Maurice Lucas, another ex-MU player who left us too early, was a key contributor on that colorful ABA team so I assume he will get some face time.

sailwi
10-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Bob Costas who had just graduated form college was the play play radio guy. The most interesting character was Marvin Bad News Barnes who supposedly refused to board a flight in Detroit to St, Louis because the arrival was prior to departure due to time zones and the quote was I'm not getting on a dam time machine.

I read the history of the ABA called "Loose Balls", entertaining if you are a basketball junkie.

CaribouJim
10-08-2013, 01:41 PM
...Costas readily admits that he tried to sound like Marv Albert back then. He didn't sound remotely like himself.

TheSultan
10-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Debuts @ 7:00 PM CST on ESPN tomorrow night.

Promises to be very entertaining and Maurice Lucas, another ex-MU player who left us too early, was a key contributor on that colorful ABA team so I assume he will get some face time.

*Some* face time was right. It was OK. Not their best...far from their worst. Costas was pretty amusing though.

TulsaWarrior
10-09-2013, 07:21 AM
This was an interesting show. The ABA was a circus. When the Spirit missed out on getting an invitation to join the NBA the Silna's (Spirit owners) worked out the deal of all time in pro ball with a share of TV revenues in "perpetuity." It's meant $250 million for them and the meter is still running.

Maurice Lucas came off like a class act and Marvin Barnes would have done well to listen to him.

TheSultan
10-09-2013, 07:26 AM
This was an interesting show. The ABA was a circus. When the Spirit missed out on getting an invitation to join the NBA the Silna's (Spirit owners) worked out the deal of all time in pro ball with a share of TV revenues in "perpetuity." It's meant $250 million for them and the meter is still running.

And the Kentucky Colonels settled for a flat fee of $3 million.

I was curious about the lawsuit that was filed. Apparently the NBA has been giving them shares of the lucrative contracts with ESPN and TNT, but the dispute is over international television rights and NBA TV rights.

CaribouJim
10-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Marvin Barnes was funny but talk about flushing your career and life down the toilet - geez.