PDA

View Full Version : OT - Badger Band at Packers-Lions Game Called...

ge1974
10-07-2013, 12:42 PM
"Fat XXXX's" amoung other things by Lions center Dominic Raiola near the Lambeau field tunnell. His tirade was especially meant for the tuba section.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131007/SPORTS0101/310070101/Lions-Raiola-accused-unprovoked-tirade-against-Wisconsin-band?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Now, this is funny to me for two reasons:

1) Its aimed at the U of W band - great publicity for them. I mean afterall, theBadger fans walk around stadiums with "Fxxx' em Bucky" t-shirts. I guess they are getting some of their own low-class medicine and can't take it. Waah, waah, waah.

2) As a Lions fan, I can honestly tell you that Dominic Raiola has been the biggest "Fat XXXX" on the team for the past 12 seasons. The guy is a complete loser himself and the former Nebraska player is "dumb as rocks". I mean, one of the most stupid players I have ever seen in over 50 years of watching NFL football. He gropped a bar maid in Plymouth, MI a couple of summers ago and had to settle out-of-court (he's married with 3 kids, by the way). He flipped the bird to fans walking off the field in the Meadowlands 5-6 years ago after another Lions loss. He always has excuses after losses. I hope this year is his swan song.

TheSultan
10-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I think there is a pretty big difference between wearing a "F*ck 'Em Bucky" t-shirt, which aren't University sponsored BTW, and having a football player verbally assault members of a marching band who are there for halftime entertainment.

TedBaxter
10-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Didn't Raiola's brother play for Wisconsin?

TheSultan
10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Didn't Raiola's brother play for Wisconsin?

Yeah, Donovan.

IWB
10-07-2013, 01:42 PM
A couple of things....

First off, I don't know that the UW band can complain as they have been place on suspension before for doing things much worse. During their hazing rituals they call their own freshman names worse than that and make them do vile things with band instruments, so they are the last that should be complaining.

Next, I am not a fan of Raiola at all, and like GE pointed out, the guy is a tool, but by the sounds of the report, they were trying to warm up and the UW band was in their way. It is a football field, itis a football game, the halftime entertainment has to be aware of that fact and stay out of their way.

It is like going to a big time basketball game. Say MU was playing at Notre Dame, and the ND dance team along with the leperchaun were doing a routine when MU came back out to warm up for the second half. They dance team's routine is done, but they are still walking and running around near the hoop while MU is warming up. Don't you think that upset MU players as ND is warming up on the other end and MU can't warm up because the dance team thinks they still own the court despite being done?

TheSultan
10-07-2013, 01:48 PM
A couple of things....

First off, I don't know that the UW band can complain as they have been place on suspension before for doing things much worse. During their hazing rituals they call their own freshman names worse than that and make them do vile things with band instruments, so they are the last that should be complaining.

Next, I am not a fan of Raiola at all, and like GE pointed out, the guy is a tool, but by the sounds of the report, they were trying to warm up and the UW band was in their way. It is a football field, itis a football game, the halftime entertainment has to be aware of that fact and stay out of their way.

So because some members did something previously, that means they should be the last ones complaining when someone does something like this to them? That makes no sense.

Furthermore, *if* the band was in their way, there are other ways to get them out of the way. Act like an adult.

Now I am not saying the guy should be suspended or anything, but if this is true, it is pretty awful behavior that is pretty hard to excuse based on a "you're in our way" kind of defense.

ge1974
10-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I think there is a pretty big difference between wearing a "F*ck 'Em Bucky" t-shirt, which aren't University sponsored BTW, and having a football player verbally assault members of a marching band who are there for halftime entertainment.

Pretty big difference? Get real. They are both obscene. The students are wearing obscene t-shirts in front of kids, old folks, etc. at games while Raiola obscenties are back at students.

TheSultan
10-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Pretty big difference? Get real. They are both obscene. The students are wearing obscene t-shirts in front of kids, old folks, etc. at games while Raiola obscenties are back at students.

They are both obscene yes. However, if I walked up to you with an obscenity on a t-shirt, that is quite different then walking up to you and telling you that I'm going to "take your trumpet and shove it up your sister's p*ssy." (Which is what he is allegedly said to a band member.)

MUMac
10-07-2013, 02:00 PM
First, Raiola was wrong to do this and I suspect the NFL would not be happy about it. They are all about image and this is the wrong image - as he was unprovoked.

That said, the UW band has nothing to complain about. I recall a game a number of years ago when the Niners were at Lambeau. Owens fumbled a pass and was walking toward the sidelines. The band was next to the Niner bench, awaiting half time. The band was in full taunt mode against Ownes. Jerry Rice went beserk and had to be restrained. The band, knowing that they got under his skin and he was being restrained continued the taunts, but now directed at Rice.

Yes, that was just a few. But, it certainly seems there is something more systematic with the band. Yes, that is just my observation and opnion. I can't get all indignant over Raiola ... and I can't stand that guy or the Lions. I think Raiola is a loose cannon and very dirty player.

ge1974
10-07-2013, 02:06 PM
They are both obscene yes. However, if I walked up to you with an obscenity on a t-shirt, that is quite different then walking up to you and telling you that I'm going to "take your trumpet and shove it up your sister's p*ssy." (Which is what he is allegedly said to a band member.)

Not a big difference to me either way. Both are wrong but college kids hear the F word ALL the time, and yes even band members. Kids and old folks shouldn't see such "freedom of speech" at a sporting event.

How about we all make big "Fxxx the Badgers" signs whenever we play them?

IWB
10-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Mac - now that you say that, I was at the game and before the game and prior to halftime, the band was lined up behind the Detroit bench. Not saying anything happened, and I certainly didn't stay for the halftime show, but they were exactly where you said they were.

Next - I am not defending Raiola, but if he did say what was said above, my guess is that there was some back and forth as that is not exactly a line that someone "leads with".

So a group who's fans loudly and proudly chant "Eat Sh*t - F You" at every home game was offended by offensive language?

TheSultan
10-07-2013, 03:38 PM
First, Raiola was wrong to do this and I suspect the NFL would not be happy about it. They are all about image and this is the wrong image - as he was unprovoked.

That said, the UW band has nothing to complain about. I recall a game a number of years ago when the Niners were at Lambeau. Owens fumbled a pass and was walking toward the sidelines. The band was next to the Niner bench, awaiting half time. The band was in full taunt mode against Ownes. Jerry Rice went beserk and had to be restrained. The band, knowing that they got under his skin and he was being restrained continued the taunts, but now directed at Rice.

Yes, that was just a few. But, it certainly seems there is something more systematic with the band. Yes, that is just my observation and opnion. I can't get all indignant over Raiola ... and I can't stand that guy or the Lions. I think Raiola is a loose cannon and very dirty player.

That is why I am hedging my comments with "if." Because right now we are only hearing one side of the story.