PDA

View Full Version : Gary Rosenberger

Gato78
10-04-2013, 04:30 PM
is not in good shape. Had a stroke and on life support. Not looking good.

IWB
10-04-2013, 04:35 PM
That is terrible news. Rosey was a great player, way undervalued because of the lack of the 3 pt line.

Nukem2
10-04-2013, 04:49 PM
We've been losing too many of our guys at young ages. Hope Rosey can make it through.

CaribouJim
10-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Geez - that '78 class of yours Gato has hit a rough patch. Jerome and hopefully Rosie won't be joining him.

IWB
10-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Sounds like Rosey will not likely pull through.

Mark Miller
10-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Horrible news. Just horrible.

One of the best long-distance shooters this state has ever produced. And he learned from the master at MUHS -- Paul Noack.

mufansince72
10-04-2013, 10:13 PM
That totally sucks!

MUMac
10-04-2013, 10:52 PM
I always loved watching Rosey play. I will always remember him at South Carolina. An amazing shot. This is very sad news. Prayers for Rosey and his family.

Goose85
10-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Prayers for Rosey and his family. One of the best long range shooters before shooting from long range was worth 3.

BLT
10-05-2013, 09:22 AM
A tough run lately. Prayers are out to him and his family who are dealing with the shock of this and some tough decisions. Sucks being over 50, in the prime of life, and even in great health, and these man scourges start creeping in. A baby aspirin a day, boys.

ValiantSailor
10-05-2013, 11:40 AM
A tough run lately. Prayers are out to him and his family who are dealing with the shock of this and some tough decisions. Sucks being over 50, in the prime of life, and even in great health, and these man scourges start creeping in. A baby aspirin a day, boys.

Don't think aspirin will ameliorate a stroke. FWIW, i'm a stroke surviver.

VS

BLT
10-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Don't think aspirin will ameliorate a stroke. FWIW, i'm a stroke surviver.

VS

God bless you, VS. I never wanted to imply it would "ameliorate" a stroke once it begins...but of an easy added ounce of prevention, at least as is the direction by my doctor and his research. Obviously, those at risk need other treatment. However, a stroke can easily creep up on healthy people without signs.

Since you are much more informed, maybe it would be a benefit to share more prevention awareness here? Don't want to put you on the spot, but your climb back to recovery is to be commended and admired. I lost my dad to a series of strokes, and I know if you are a male of age we are all of risk and could always learn more.

ValiantSailor
10-05-2013, 01:19 PM
God bless you, VS. I never wanted to imply it would "ameliorate" a stroke once it begins...but of an easy added ounce of prevention, at least as is the direction by my doctor and his research. Obviously, those at risk need other treatment. However, a stroke can easily creep up on healthy people without signs.

Since you are much more informed, maybe it would be a benefit to share more prevention awareness here? Don't want to put you on the spot, but your climb back to recovery is to be commended and admired. I lost my dad to a series of strokes, and I know if you are a male of age we are all of risk and could always learn more.

Your doctor will be much more informed than I. But let me give the basics.

First, every stroke is different. In recovery, I was taught to refer to "my stroke" because mine will be unique. Obviously, there will be similarities among stroke victims. But each will be unique.

Stokes are caused by a lack of blood flow to the brain. Two reasons: a blockage (most common) or a bleed. To avoid a blockage, get your cholesterol down. Get the life screening exam offered by your doc or your insurance company. I don't know any preventive measures for a bleed (which I had). Note that taking a blood thinner like aspirin could temporarily forestall a blockage, but it would make the effects of a bleed worse! You pays your money; you takes your chances.

My stroke happened almost four years ago. The reason was a malformation in my brain when I was in the womb. Should have killed me when I was an infant...or as a kid...or a young adult...or when the stroke happened. That I'm alive today I attribute to God's mercy. I'm still recovering and will continue to recover for the rest of my life. Anyone who wants to discuss this further, please PM me.

VS

farmerdoc
10-06-2013, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=ValiantSailor;43706]Your doctor will be much more informed than I. But let me give the basics.

First, every stroke is different. In recovery, I was taught to refer to "my stroke" because mine will be unique. Obviously, there will be similarities among stroke victims. But each will be unique.

Stokes are caused by a lack of blood flow to the brain. Two reasons: a blockage (most common) or a bleed. To avoid a blockage, get your cholesterol down. Get the life screening exam offered by your doc or your insurance company. I don't know any preventive measures for a bleed (which I had). Note that taking a blood thinner like aspirin could temporarily forestall a blockage, but it would make the effects of a bleed worse! You pays your money; you takes your chances.

My stroke happened almost four years ago. The reason was a malformation in my brain when I was in the womb. Should have killed me when I was an infant...or as a kid...or a young adult...or when the stroke happened. That I'm alive today I attribute to God's mercy. I'm still recovering and will continue to recover for the rest of my life. Anyone who wants to discuss this further, please PM me.

VS[/QUOTE

Great synopsis for a lay person (?). Basically protect your heart and brain the same way.

For an individual, the baby aspirin a day likely has no benefit for the average patient, but careful consideration of your personal risk factors should be done prior to making that decision.

Prayers to Mr Rosenberger and his family.

Keep up the good work on your recovery VS!

BLT
10-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks VS. All the best. Key take away: strokes can hit anyone at any time. Consult your doctor with an individual plan. Science learns more every day.

Just was golfing with a friend who two years ago at age 50 had a major stroke. Was in rehab a good part of a year at Columbia St. Mary's, and wonderful facility staffed by MU alums mostly. His progress is amazing...and he has a long way to go...but I never thought he would whack the white ball again. Cherish every moment.

Gato78
10-06-2013, 05:01 PM
A little update. Not sure if Rose has passed. The MU people I heard from said he had a stroke. MUHS connections said it was a heart attack. Not sure where things are at and both groups are waiting to hear. Understandable that there is a lack of info.

Mark Miller
10-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Gary passed away about five hours ago. RIP. Prayers to Gary's family and friends.

TedBaxter
10-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Al McGuire, Hank Raymonds, Rick Majerus, Jerome Whitehead and now Gary Rosenberger are gone from that team. They are probably having a team meeting right now.

Prayers to everyone in Gary's life.

Gato78
10-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Very sad. Went to high school and college with him. Played against him in grade school and at camps--he was a St. Margaret Mary grad. Tremendous memories. Really a gut punch for those of us in his age group--more so than Whitehead because he was local. Totally unexpected because he always kept himself in good shape. Was a part of the MUHS teams in early seventies that was one of the great runs in Wisconsin high school basketball history. Won NCAA championship in '77 and made some clutch throws at the end of NC game to seal it up. At one of the 1977 reunions his son was there and I had the privilege of telling him all about his dad's basketball history. Will always remember the team return to Milwaukee at Mitchell Field after NCAA Championship when we rag tags were celebrating Rose as one of our own. Gut punch.

Markedman
10-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Very sad day…….RIP Rosey

Nukem2
10-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Very sad. Went to high school and college with him. Played against him in grade school and at camps--he was a St. Margaret Mary grad. Tremendous memories. Really a gut punch for those of us in his age group--more so than Whitehead because he was local. Totally unexpected because he always kept himself in good shape. Was a part of the MUHS teams in early seventies that was one of the great runs in Wisconsin high school basketball history. Won NCAA championship in '77 and made some clutch throws at the end of NC game to seal it up. At one of the 1977 reunions his son was there and I had the privilege of telling him all about his dad's basketball history. Will always remember the team return to Milwaukee at Mitchell Field after NCAA Championship when we rag tags were celebrating Rose as one of our own. Gut punch.

Yes, it is sad. Always remember seeing the Rosenberger family at St. Margaret Mary for Mass on Sundays back in the day. RIP and condolences to his family.

IWB
10-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Obviously knew who Rosey was, but didn't really know him though I did know is sister and there was no mistaking his dad, George Rosenberger as he was a mechanic with his own little repair shop. Absolute bummer. Marquette issued a press release with statements from the Rosenberger family as well as Mike Broker - I have that release on our front page.... http://www.brewcityball.com/homepage.php

ge1974
10-07-2013, 12:28 PM
One of the MU greats! When Rosenberger shot it you just knew it was going in. I can still see his lefthanded shots from the top of the key -swish! RIP Rosey.

MUBasketball
10-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Obviously knew who Rosey was, but didn't really know him though I did know is sister and there was no mistaking his dad, George Rosenberger as he was a mechanic with his own little repair shop. Absolute bummer. Marquette issued a press release with statements from the Rosenberger family as well as Mike Broker - I have that release on our front page.... http://www.brewcityball.com/homepage.php

Honestly not trying to start an anti-Larry thread here...but why is Broeker usually the one with quotes from the AD, and not Larry?

Nukem2
10-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Honestly not trying to start an anti-Larry thread here...but why is Broeker usually the one with quotes from the AD, and not Larry?

Broeker does have specific oversight for the men's BB program...

MUBasketball
10-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Broeker does have specific oversight for the men's BB program...

Ahhhh OK, that's probably it.

MUMac
10-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Truly a sad day.

I will always remember watching Rosey play against my High School Alma Mater in basketball (they played annually, alternating between Milwaukee and De Pere - though MUHS always won), wondering who that kid was. My Freshman year, I attended the first practice of the season - which was open to the public (at least students) in the Old Gym. It was the '77-78 season. Rosey was the first one out. Grabbe a basketball and went from basket to basket hitting a pure jump shot from outside of the top of the key. Never took a layup, never took a free throw, never attempted any other shot. He never missed either.

God speed Rosey. Thanks for the memories. God, please grant him eternal rest and let perpetual light shine upon him. RIP Rosey.

MUUWUWM
10-07-2013, 06:04 PM
I remember his last game against us in HS, (I went to St. John's Cathedral) All I remember is we beat the snot out of them. Mark Pitzo played for us and had a great game. Prayers to his family.

Gato78
10-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Pitzo was great. In grade school, Pitzo and Rose were on the same team. We all thought Pitzo was better. I distinctly remember Hank Raymonds watched when we played Margaret Mary (I went to St. Pius). After the game me and a buddy were talking to Hank (Danny played in the next game). Hank kept telling us Rose was better than Pitzo--he was right!

I remember his last game against us in HS, (I went to St. John's Cathedral) All I remember is we beat the snot out of them. Mark Pitzo played for us and had a great game. Prayers to his family.

CaribouJim
10-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Truly a sad day.

I will always remember watching Rosey play against my High School Alma Mater in basketball (they played annually, alternating between Milwaukee and De Pere - though MUHS always won), wondering who that kid was. My Freshman year, I attended the first practice of the season - which was open to the public (at least students) in the Old Gym. It was the '77-78 season. Rosey was the first one out. Grabbe a basketball and went from basket to basket hitting a pure jump shot from outside of the top of the key. Never took a layup, never took a free throw, never attempted any other shot. He never missed either.

God speed Rosey. Thanks for the memories. God, please grant him eternal rest and let perpetual light shine upon him. RIP Rosey.

Wow MUMac, I have a similar memory 1year prior. I was at the Old Gym for what I think was the first practice my freshman year as well. Sports Illustrated was there working on story by Frank Deford about Al that was going to be in the SI College B-Ball issue for the '76 - '77 season. They had a bunch of fancy camera equipment all over the place.

I was on the track above the court over one of the side baskets when they were running a shooting drill at multiple baskets.
The drill was someone feeding a shooter taking jump shots around the perimeter of the basket - not quite 3pt length IIRC. Back and forth, back and forth. I think it was Jimmy B that was feeding Rosey. I too don't recall Rosey missing one shot in his drill. That was my first exposure to him. Those shooters like Rosey and Novak are/were freaks.

Do any of you other old timers remember the first open practice that championship year?

Gato78
10-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Ummm.....Caribou, we were far too cool to go to open practices...and that cut into valuable drinking time. Hell, bars were only open to 3:00am on Saturdays.

Do any of you other old timers remember the first open practice that championship year?

CaribouJim
10-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Ummm.....Caribou, we were far too cool to go to open practices...and that cut into valuable drinking time. Hell, bars were only open to 3:00am on Saturdays.

My apologies - I should have known better. Forgot about you and your posse's ultra-high cool quotient.

IWB
10-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Gato - how soon you forget - back in those days, Saturday bar time was 3:30 - why do you think the Spanish channel has a show called Sabado Gigante?

Gato78
10-08-2013, 08:16 AM
It was your frosh year. You were still developing your cool.

My apologies - I should have known better. Forgot about you and your posse's ultra-high cool quotient.

MayorBeluga
10-08-2013, 12:03 PM
It was your frosh year. You were still developing your cool.

Let us know when he finally develops it.