PDA

View Full Version : New academic requirements for incoming freshmen

IWB
10-03-2013, 01:38 PM
The academic requirements for incoming freshmen is being adjusted by the NCAA, taking effect for what will be the 2016 class.

Here is a link to the new requirements, with a complete list and also a link to the Core GPA/ACT-SAT sliding scale: New NCAA Eligibility Requirements (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Important_New_Rules/2016_DI_New_Academic_Requirements.pdf?utm_source=d elivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Important+Changes+to+NCAA+Initial-Eligibility+Standards)

Thanks for the find Lisa Cottingham!

Goose85
10-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I see the sliding scale is pretty similar, are the core requirements the change for incoming frosh?

Phantom Warrior
10-03-2013, 06:01 PM
In all honesty, I think the increased gpa requirement is a crock. I've taught in just about every kind of school imaginable, and there are many kids who have to work like crazy to earn a "C" in almost any course. The definition of "C" is "AVERAGE." A "C+" is defined as a bit "ABOVE AVERAGE."

In my mind AVERAGE students - students with a cumulative gpa of 2.000 - should qualify.

As far as the ACT scale, a kid who has a gpa of 2.300, needs a 19 on the ACT. That represents the 41st percentile nationally. A kid with a gpa of 2.000 basically needs an ACT score of 22 to become even a partial qualifier, which is generally around the 62nd percentile.

I'm sorry. A kid with a 2.000 gpa and a 22 on the ACT should be a full qualifier.

Given the kind of educational settings many of these kids are trapped in, I think these minimum standards are outrageous.

warriorfan4life
10-03-2013, 06:15 PM
I want to say that someone in the know posted on Twitter that half of the incoming freshman class would not qualify under the new 2016 standards.

Edit: Half of the this incoming class nationally would not qualify under the new standards.