PDA

View Full Version : Boeheim against paying players

Goose85
10-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Interesting that Boeheim is against paying players. I guess Syracuse is doing well with the current system, why change it. He did suggest giving players something like $150 per month.

I believe the Big 10 Commish has come out against paying players as well.

This whole issue is going to be an interesting one, as it was not all that long ago that many athletic departments, even at the big boy schools, were not making money. What happens if the TV money dynamic changes in 5 to 10 years and conferences end up getting less money?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23971167/jim-boeheim-screed-rails-against-philosophy-of-paying-college-players

IWB
10-03-2013, 09:12 AM
I thought it was funny when the Big 10 commish said he was against paying players, as it was not long after Alvarez had said they should be paying players.

$150 per month? No problem, I would push it to $200 = $50 per week.

MU_Iceman
10-03-2013, 09:51 AM
I wonder if UW players would get paid by the hour?? Bo could kill 'em recruiting then.

Mucrisco
10-03-2013, 10:21 AM
I am against paying the athletes. I read that Arian Foster admitted he got paid. Then, he said that it was that he either had money for rent, or he had money to eat. So, he didn't feel bad about being paid. OK, I lived with the basketball team for free because I was a manager. I got to eat for free. Those basketball players weren't paying for rent. They got great meals for free in the union, and it was much better food than what my friends were eating. After they were done eating, they would take the to go containers, and load up on food to take home. Are you telling me that Arian Foster didn't get the same things?

When school was on break, we would get checks from the athletic department, because the union was closed, and the athletes couldn't eat. I just deposited that money, and I was set long after Christmas Break was over. How much is tuition these days? Isn't it around 45 grand at a private institution? So, they are essentially making over 45 grand a year and they are complaining? Take away some ridiculous NCAA restrictions, but I see no need to pay student athletes.

IWB
10-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Crisco you are correct, but that is because MU has housing for all of the athletes. Years ago I knew guys that played football at UW. Once they got to junior & senior years, they would look for houses to live off campus. Not in a dorm or on a dorm food plan, they would get money for food and rent as it was included in their scholarship. My guess is this is what happened with Foster, he may just be an idiot that is too dumb to realize that was part of his scholarship. Although he did go to Tennessee, so who knows.

IrwinFletcher
10-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Then maybe those guys should still live in the dorms as upperclassmen. I am really tired that the value of a college education, whether it be at Duke or Mississippi is being completely disregarded. Maybe if these guys went to class, got a degree and then got a job, they would realize there was value in that education.

Or, these guys get paid and they have to pay part of their education, it doesn't all come for free.

IWB
10-04-2013, 06:38 AM
At that time Fletch, and I don't know if it is still that way, but their just wasn't enough on campus student housing at UW.