PDA

View Full Version : St. John's

TedBaxter
09-30-2013, 09:03 AM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/lavin-says-st-johns-goal-is-to-win-big-east-tournament/

Could be one tough, athletic team. If all of the players are on the same page, watch out!!

Nukem2
09-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Yep. Some folks are really underestimating SJU. Lots of returning talent along with the return of God's Gift, the addition of Orlando Sanchez, a very good incoming frosh guard in 6'4" Rysheed Jordan out of Philly. Also have Max Hooper a transfer from Harvard, a who guy went 10-11 ( or something like that ) in a game during SJU's overseas trip this summer. That trip also obviously helps SJU's development as well. In addition, Lavin recently added Jim Whitesell as an assistant to help with the Xs and Os. This is a very athletic, long and talented SJU squad.

Goose85
09-30-2013, 10:04 AM
I know Creighton has McDermott, and Georgetown should be good as well, but I think St. John's is being underestimated. Non conference games with Wisconsin (very different styles and makeup) and Syracuse should be interesting early tests. Do well with those, and SJU could climb up the rankings.

The St. St. John's at MU final regular season game could be for the conference title. Let's hope both teams have lofty rankings at the time.

Phantom Warrior
09-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Totally agree. I've said for quite some time that the pundits are under-estimating St. John's. I think the X factor for them will be whether or not Harrison can keep his head on straight. I see them as the favorite to win the BE and a potential Top 10 team.

I also think their quickness will give UW fits on the perimeter, and their height, strength, and athleticism up front will dominate UW on the interior. It will be tough haul for the Badger frosh, in particular.

bleedbluegold03
09-30-2013, 11:30 AM
I am more scared of them then Creighton. And maybe Georgetown.

BLT
09-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Overall, I think the BE will be more competitive than the pundits are giving it credit. Some of the new teams may struggle with the grinder of the BE intensity the first time through the game cycle...but half way through and the level will really start to kick in with the home and home schedule as team's adjust and become known.

MU was underestimated in Year 1 and came out and completely dusted UCONN.

warriorfan4life
09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Will they put the ball in the basket and can they remain consistent from game to game (enough so to win the 13-15 conference likely need to win the title)? Even with the Whitesell hire (which will help), I do not trust a Lavin coached team enough to predict them ahead of MU, G-Town, and Nova. I hope they win enough key non-conference games to help the conference come Selection Sunday (and get us say a 5th-6th bid).

St. John's was 214th in offensive efficiency last year, and I do not think that the additions of Jordan, Sanchez, and Hooper (who could get off the bench at Harvard) are enough to make them a good enough offensive team to win the league. They should be much improved on that end of the floor, and were a very solid 37th in defensive efficiency, but their actual performance on the court does not reflect a conference championship contender (even if their on-paper talent may be worthy of that).

IrwinFletcher
09-30-2013, 06:55 PM
The one thing holding SJU back is their coach. There has been some hype surrounding this program over the past couple of years, but it never lives up to it. That is on the Coach.

Lets see if he can pull it together, or better yet, keep it together this year.

TheSultan
10-01-2013, 08:34 AM
The one thing holding SJU back is their coach. There has been some hype surrounding this program over the past couple of years, but it never lives up to it. That is on the Coach.

Lets see if he can pull it together, or better yet, keep it together this year.

I don't think Lavin is nearly as bad as his reputation makes him out to be. He was REALLY young when he got the UCLA gig, but he got them to the S16 in five of his first six years. Part of the problem he dealt with was the outsized expectations.

Now is he John Wooden? No. But if he can continue to recruit, I think he is a good enough Xs and Os guy to get the job done.

Plus he has a hot wife.

https://www.google.com/search?q=steve+lavin+wife&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=P89KUu6PCKaIygHkk4CYCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643&dpr=1

Nukem2
10-01-2013, 09:01 AM
I don't think Lavin is nearly as bad as his reputation makes him out to be. He was REALLY young when he got the UCLA gig, but he got them to the S16 in five of his first six years. Part of the problem he dealt with was the outsized expectations.

Now is he John Wooden? No. But if he can continue to recruit, I think he is a good enough Xs and Os guy to get the job done.

Plus he has a hot wife.
https://www.google.com/search?q=steve+lavin+wife&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=P89KUu6PCKaIygHkk4CYCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643&dpr=1

Will he have any energy left to coach..... :cool:

Phantom Warrior
10-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Holy canoli!

IWB
10-01-2013, 10:07 AM
No question hes is a solid coach, and no question that he has a hot wife, but there have always been other questions that surround him. And, his wife has access to a dance academy.

unclejohn
10-01-2013, 10:49 AM

Plus he has a hot wife.

Every year Lavin was at UCLA, the fans complained about how he couldn't coach. And every year, the team did well in the tournament. Actually, I was surprised it took so long for somebody to hire the guy. As for his tenure at St. John's, recall that from the time Marquette entered the league until Lavin was hired, St. John's was awful, pretty much a sure win on the schedule. He got them into the tournament. Perhaps they have not played up to their expected talent level under Lavin, but before he arrived, they were not getting the talent, either. Since he took over, the team has gotten consistently better. Two years ago, they outright dismantled us on our own floor. Last year they slipped a bit, but they were still a solid, dangerous team, which is why we had to go into overtime to beat them. For all the grief he gets, Lavin seems to get pretty good results.

TheSultan
10-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Every year Lavin was at UCLA, the fans complained about how he couldn't coach. And every year, the team did well in the tournament. Actually, I was surprised it took so long for somebody to hire the guy. As for his tenure at St. John's, recall that from the time Marquette entered the league until Lavin was hired, St. John's was awful, pretty much a sure win on the schedule. He got them into the tournament. Perhaps they have not played up to their expected talent level under Lavin, but before he arrived, they were not getting the talent, either. Since he took over, the team has gotten consistently better. Two years ago, they outright dismantled us on our own floor. Last year they slipped a bit, but they were still a solid, dangerous team, which is why we had to go into overtime to beat them. For all the grief he gets, Lavin seems to get pretty good results.

And don't forget that he had prostate cancer (and surgery) during his tenure there...and I think that could have been a contributing factor for the blip they had last year.

ziggysfryboy
10-01-2013, 11:36 AM

Plus he has a hot wife.

boingoingoingoing

ziggysfryboy
10-01-2013, 01:59 PM
No question hes is a solid coach, and no question that he has a hot wife, but there have always been other questions that surround him. And, his wife has access to a "dance academy".

Is that where you tell the old lady you're going after a round of golf?

Or for a buffet lunch?

IWB
10-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Not exactly, different story entirely, but I can see where you got that.

pbiflyer
10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Plus he has a hot wife.

So, obviously, he can recruit!