PDA

View Full Version : Fr. Wild to be Interim Prez

Gato78
09-25-2013, 03:31 PM
JS reports Wild will be the transition president and mentions that Fr. P's issues concern a 5 to 7 year capital campaign he did not feel equipped to lead and his desire to help his ailing parents.

MUMac
09-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Letter from Father P: http://marquette.edu/president/letters-update-09-25-2013.php

CaribouJim
09-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Wow.

Where was Fr. Wild living - was he still in Milwaukee?

Nukem2
09-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Wow.

Where was Fr. Wild living - was he still in Milwaukee?Yes........

MUMac
09-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes........

And he was still at some MU functions. He also was at some basketball games, if memory serves.

Nukem2
09-25-2013, 04:19 PM
And he was still at some MU functions. He also was at some basketball games, if memory serves.
He was at some games and they would show him on the scoreboard screen...

MUMac
09-25-2013, 04:29 PM
He was at some games and they would show him on the scoreboard screen...

And drew huge cheers. Interestingly, Pilarz was no where to be seen at the BC. Fr. Wild was always seen. Glad to have him back, if only temporary.

MUAlphaBangura
09-25-2013, 08:08 PM
And drew huge cheers. Interestingly, Pilarz was no where to be seen at the BC. Fr. Wild was always seen. Glad to have him back, if only temporary.

Actually saw Father Pilarz at many games last season, but he certainly wasn't going out of his way to "be seen", much like LW.

MUMac
09-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Actually saw Father Pilarz at many games last season, but he certainly wasn't going out of his way to "be seen", much like LW.

My comment may have been sloppily stated. My point was not trying to say that Fr. P was not there, but I was attempting to say that he was not visible and much had to do with the difference in popularity between Fr. Wild and Fr. Pilarz.

Both Fr. Pilarz and LW were incognito, in comparison to Fr. Wild and Steve Cottingham. Neither made their way to the court, save for senior Day festivities. Neither were visible in the Courtside Club. I never saw them roaming the aisles. Much of that had to do with their lack of popularity - self imposed to a great degree. The camera did not seek them out at the BC. Fr. Wild was a fixture. Talking to the fans, donors, students ... Frequently he was shown on the big screen, as well, during games when he was Prez. To applause, I might add.

That was the point I was attempting to make.

ValiantSailor
09-26-2013, 07:20 AM
My comment may have been sloppily stated. My point was not trying to say that Fr. P was not there, but I was attempting to say that he was not visible and much had to do with the difference in popularity between Fr. Wild and Fr. Pilarz.

Different strokes for different folks!

Now he's gone...history. No need to kick him any longer. What's important now is how well the BOT has learned from this history. If you're a prayerful person, you might want to pray for the BOT as they discuss candidates and eventually select a new president.

VS

Nukem2
09-26-2013, 09:38 AM

Now he's gone...history. No need to kick him any longer. What's important now is how well the BOT has learned from this history. If you're a prayerful person, you might want to pray for the BOT as they discuss candidates and eventually select a new president.

VSNot really different strokes. Mac makes an important point as to the effectiveness of these 2 leaders. Quite obvious
In any event, good luck to Fr. Pilarz in his future endeavors with the Jesuit community.

MUMac
09-26-2013, 10:47 AM

VS

The bolded part is true, only if they achieve the same results. That is the rub. Alumni, benefactors, students, major donors ... all were issues we had been hearing. The comment I made about visibility at the BBall games was systematic of the issues. Unfortunately, Fr. P was a bad fit for MU, for whatever reason. I hope he finds satisfaction and comfort on the pastoral side. He has much he can offer.

Not trying to kick Fr. P, but if you do not learn from history, you are bound to repeat it.

TheSultan
09-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Having worked with multiple, successful university presidents, I can say this. While all have been different in leadership style...some are detail oriented, some are more strategically oriented, some are natural introverts, some gregarious extroverts...but the two things that all of them have in common is that they are good with people and they are visible.

They go to events...sporting events, student events, arts events, fundraising events etc. And they have to relate well to people who attend these functions. This isn't a "different strokes for different folks" part of being a college president - it is a necessity of the job. And this seems to have been what SP's failure lies.

Perhaps Scranton, which its smaller size, D2 athletics, and east coast student base, fit his comfort zone more. Marquette is larger, midwestern, and likely has a lot more people concerned with how the basketball team does each year than how the University performs in the USN&WR rankings.

As I said on Scoop. Not a bad person. Just a bad fit.

MUMac
09-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Having worked with multiple, successful university presidents, I can say this. While all have been different in leadership style...some are detail oriented, some are more strategically oriented, some are natural introverts, some gregarious extroverts...but the two things that all of them have in common is that they are good with people and they are visible.

They go to events...sporting events, student events, arts events, fundraising events etc. And they have to relate well to people who attend these functions. This isn't a "different strokes for different folks" part of being a college president - it is a necessity of the job. And this seems to have been what SP's failure lies.

Perhaps Scranton, which its smaller size, D2 athletics, and east coast student base, fit his comfort zone more. Marquette is larger, midwestern, and likely has a lot more people concerned with how the basketball team does each year than how the University performs in the USN&WR rankings.

As I said on Scoop. Not a bad person. Just a bad fit.

Well stated.