PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ribbon Has Marquette In Top 25

ge1974
09-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Their annual yearbook has Marquette at #16 and Davante Gardner is third team pre-season All-American.

Michigan State is #1.:eek:

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/09/michigan_state_no_1_adreian_pa.html

Markedman
09-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Davante Gardner 3rd team preseason all american....let that sink in.....

If he would indeed make the 3rd team it would cap one of the most overachieving careers ever at MU when you consider that he was not highly rated at all and really was signed as almost an after thought......

warriorfan4life
09-16-2013, 02:03 PM
I think we can and will finish higher then 16, but that is a fair starting point. Also, Kentucky should be number one.

Goose85
09-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Problem with a team like Kentucky is you never know how all the incoming talent will mesh.
I don't care much for Coach Cal, but I think he did an outstanding coaching job getting that team two years ago to put ego somewhat aside and play as a team (an NBA first round pick team). Not so much last year, and of course Noel's injury.

Michigan State may be better early as they will have a lot of experience, and we will get to find out on Nov 12 when they play.

warriorfan4life
09-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Cal's teams need quality point guard play, and they did not get that last year. The Harrison Twins should provide that, and their front line is ridiculously talented with Randle, Poythress, Cauley-Stein, Lee, and Johnson.

Nukem2
10-05-2013, 10:26 AM
MU obviously is deep and talented and experienced in the frontcourt. Also lots of depth and physical talent in the backcourt/perimeter; but, unfortunately limited experience. MU returns no perimeter starters. Its often said that college BB is a guard's game. Will be interesting to see how our inexperienced perimeter group performs this season. Need to get some level of consistent play from this group. Could be a bumpy road.

TedBaxter
10-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Just remember back to Buzz's second year after Junior Cadougan tore his achilles prior to his freshman year. Buzz was looking at a backcourt of Maurice Acker and David Cubillan. Both of those guys were as tough as nails, but my point is that Buzz can coach and this backcourt will evolve as the season goes along. More screens at the high post to disrupt defenders like Aaron Craft early in the year until the point guards start getting their confidence.

AbovetheRim
10-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Just remember back to Buzz's second year after Junior Cadougan tore his achilles prior to his freshman year. Buzz was looking at a backcourt of Maurice Acker and David Cubillan. Both of those guys were as tough as nails, but my point is that Buzz can coach and this backcourt will evolve as the season goes along. More screens at the high post to disrupt defenders like Aaron Craft early in the year until the point guards start getting their confidence.

Derrick Wilson doesn't shoot anywhere near the level of an Acker or DC and those guys were seniors with tons of experience as well. They were regarded as "capable" offensive contributors prior to that season. Unless Derrick has grown by leaps and bounds in the off-season, it's 4 on 5 on offense every minute he's on the court. He's never shown even an iota of offensive assertiveness. That's just the reality of it. Say what you want about Junior, the offense was at another level with him on the court last year. I'm just hoping the seniors play like we know they can and Duane can get the turnovers under control because we need both of those things to happen. I'll believe it when I see it with Derrick.

MUMac
10-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Derrick Wilson doesn't shoot anywhere near the level of an Acker or DC and those guys were seniors with tons of experience as well. They were regarded as "capable" offensive contributors prior to that season. Unless Derrick has grown by leaps and bounds in the off-season, it's 4 on 5 on offense every minute he's on the court. He's never shown even an iota of offensive assertiveness. That's just the reality of it. Say what you want about Junior, the offense was at another level with him on the court last year. I'm just hoping the seniors play like we know they can and Duane can get the turnovers under control because we need both of those things to happen. I'll believe it when I see it with Derrick.

Not sure I understand your response to Ted's post. Why did you quote it? Ted never said one word about Derrick Wilson and that was your only point. Kind of an odd read.