PDA

View Full Version : OSU Part 4

Goose85
09-13-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm starting to side with the OK State fans. This was the weakest effort yet.

Some recruits got lucky on their visit - shocking.
Some attractive college females were eager to have relations with high level athletes - also shocking.
I thought they usually went after the bookworm type kids for a romp.

Not sure this is so unique to OK State that an whole expose had to be written, as if it happend at no other school.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130913/oklahoma-state-part-4-the-sex/?sct=hp_t11_a2

TheSultan
09-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Yeah no kidding. Significantly shorter than the first two. I bet this thing was hacked to death by the editors last night considering the fall out from the first three parts.

warriorfan4life
09-13-2013, 03:27 PM
I think all of this is very believable. However, it is hard to take this series super seriously when a primary part of this was researched by an Oklahoma fan that has referred to OSU as Chokie State in major articles.

pbiflyer
09-13-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm starting to side with the OK State fans. This was the weakest effort yet.

Some recruits got lucky on their visit - shocking.
Some attractive college females were eager to have relations with high level athletes - also shocking.
I thought they usually went after the bookworm type kids for a romp.

I disagree, I was a high level athlete and seemingly never got preferential treatment. :D
But yeah, with all the hype, not so much to the story.

IWB
09-14-2013, 08:53 AM
I think you guys are hitting the nail on the head on all points.

Goo - Exactly - happens at every school around the country. Drinking, marijuana and sex - wow, it must be out of hand there! Only issue is payment of players, but I would be willing to bet that what used to be referred to as the $5 handshake is not the $500 hand shake and probably happens at major football schools more than we would ever see.

Sultan - Exactly - wouldn't part four be the gigantic bombshell? The too long but worth the read type stuff? No, much smaller, so I bet the editors, at the advice of attorneys, sliced the crap out of the last installment.

Fan4life - The fact that any major outlet would allow someone that closely tied to the subject's #1 enemy is baffling. The guy has openly ripped OSU in the past, beyond any form of journalistic integrity, and he has done it repeatedly. I bet this guy hatched the idea for this story when the OSU fan blog ran a headline that this guy had herpes because it was on the internet so it must be true.

IrwinFletcher
09-14-2013, 09:45 AM
So the argument against this whole series is "everyone does it so its no big deal"?

I for one am glad it is being exposed. Maybe it will wake some people up and things done collectively. The minute we think it is no big deal because everyone is doing the same thing is the minute we lose an integrity in collegiate sports.

CaribouJim
09-14-2013, 11:20 AM
So the argument against this whole series is "everyone does it so its no big deal"?

I for one am glad it is being exposed. Maybe it will wake some people up and things done collectively. The minute we think it is no big deal because everyone is doing the same thing is the minute we lose an integrity in collegiate sports.

I guess I'm an outlier too Fletcher. At a minimum I hope that it does shed some light on this stuff. If "everyone" is doing it in football I guess you can assume the same for college b-ball and that would include MU too seeing "everyone" is doing it and that is OK?

If only half the stuff they've alleged is true in this series I think it is beyond disturbing. These coaches are the guys that are ingraining life lessons and building men and all that crap? These are the kids that are going to possibly get compensated? With the extra cash I doubt they are going to buy a winter coat or go to the movies.

No wonder the majority of pro athletes go broke or are in severe financial straits within years of retirement. Sounds like college really didn't do much to prepare them for the future. Sounds more like a 4 year frat party.

As far as lawsuits following this series - maybe, maybe not. I doubt it. You hear the same thing when guys are accused of PED use. Has there ever been one?

unclejohn
09-14-2013, 12:16 PM
I have to agree about this latest installment. For the most part, I think the series has painted an unfavorable picture of OSU, and has certainly suggested that some bad things were going on, and coaches at least turned a blind eye. This last one borders on silly. Lots of teams have been using good looking girls as hostesses for years. No surprise that they recruit the good looking ones. SI has even mentioned it in other articles and profiled some of the girls. And from time immemorial, some of the cute chicks wind up being cheerleaders, and some of the cheerleaders end up sleeping around. The thing that strikes me about this article is that it keeps coming back to "a small number" of the hostesses. Hell, a small number of the women, give or take, on any campus are sluts, and these are the ones who choose to congregate with athletes, who are often the most popular, and let's face it, best looking people on campus. Not surprising that some of them wind up in bed.

As for the fact that the head coach met with them individually, big deal! So he gave them a pep-talk. Told them they were important to the program. Even suggested that they should look nice. None of those are out of bounds. Nowhere in the article does anyone say or even suggest that they were supposed to sleep with the players. If it would have happened, at least one of these women would have said so, or would have said something like, "It was pretty much understood that we had to ______ this or that player. Not a word of that. All this article did was point out that college students behave like college students. At least some of them, some of the time. Perhaps not the most laudable thing in the world, but we live in a fallen world.

TheSultan
09-14-2013, 12:44 PM
From Deadspin this morning: "Which brings us to SI's Orange Pride source, Chantal Sanders. She apparently was not enrolled at OSU during the time she was quoted to be. SI said she was part of Orange Pride for the 2003-2004 academic year, which begins in the fall of 2003. A school spokesman said she was only enrolled for two semesters, the spring and summer semesters of 2003."

pbiflyer
09-14-2013, 01:42 PM

No, the argument is that it was weak, lame reporting with lots of uncorroborated claims by disgruntles people by a reporter that has shown that he has an axe to grind with OSU.

TheSultan
09-14-2013, 01:51 PM

I think it's cute that you think there ever has been integrity in college sports.

IWB
09-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Agree with pbiflyer - its not that "its ok because everyone does it", it is that the series was written by a bitter Oklahoma guy who has a history of ripping OSU, and many of the things he reported, weed, sex... are visible on every college campus in America.

warriorfan4life
09-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Say Andy Katz, a UW grad, wrote this type of exposé on Marquette. Then, reputable journalists questioned many of the facts in the article(s). I think we would be livid as a fan base as well.

Hamostradamus
09-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Agree with pbiflyer - its not that "its ok because everyone does it", it is that the series was written by a bitter Oklahoma guy who has a history of ripping OSU, and many of the things he reported, weed, sex... are visible on every college campus in America.

And his sources are totally unreliable. I mean, sure a bunch of athletes admit they received cash (Mickens, Girtman, Johnson), engaged in academic fraud (Carter, Cole, Mickens, Brown, Cruz, Furr, Girtman, Massey, Minor, Richardson, Sims, Woods, Wright), sold and used drugs (Bowling, Bell, Alexander, Cruz, Furr, Johnson, McGill, Mickens, Allen, Bond, Broadway, Cole, Coxeff, Davis, DeGrate, Denson, Girtman, Johnson, Mack, McCoy, Murphy, Pratt, Richardson, Shaw, Thomas, Townsend, White, Woods, Wright).

But can you really trust the word of these cheaters? Look, OSU is going to get off with a slap on the wrist. Not because one of the authors hates OSU, and not because the dozens of sources may have gotten together to fabricate the greatest lie in sports history because they are disgruntled, and not because other schools cheat way more so they should get a pass. OSU will get away with this because the NCAA figured out a few years ago that they are one "death penalty" away from having every football school break away and put them out of business. That's why Notre Dame is allowed a racially offensive nickname, Duke's hoops players get to wear $10,000 jewelry, and Tarheel football players get to attend basketweaving 101.

IrwinFletcher
09-15-2013, 04:23 PM
I think it's cute that you think there ever has been integrity in college sports.

I think it is sad that you think this behavior is OK because everyone does it.

TheSultan
09-15-2013, 05:12 PM
I think it is sad that you think this behavior is OK because everyone does it.

I simply don't care about the behavior.

CaribouJim
09-15-2013, 06:23 PM
I simply don't care about the behavior.

Yet you care about the quality of the journalism on a sports story on something you don't give a rat's behind about? Interesting.

Go ahead and pick apart the quality of his fact finding and overall journalism. I agree, they are not going to win a Pulitzer, but IMO on the actual substance of what they are trying to communicate I found it both enlightening and unsettling.

TheSultan
09-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Yet you care about the quality of the journalism on a sports story on something you don't give a rat's behind about? Interesting.

Yes. I guess I don't know what is so interesting about that.

KalkBird
09-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Yes. I guess I don't know what is so interesting about that.

You are a nasty person.

TheSultan
09-25-2013, 08:00 AM
You are a nasty person.

Uh...what?

I think the series reeks of poor journalism. The fact checking was poor. The authors had a clear bias. They hardly talked to anyone at OSU until the article was about to print.

And when I say "I don't care about the behavior" I mean that I don't get caught up in what other schools do. If they want to sacrifice their integrity (academic and otherwise) for the sake of athletics, go for it. Do I want Marquette to engage in this behavior? Not on your life.