DePaul - #121 (National)
Seton Hall - #128 (National)
St. John's - #152 (National)

Nova - #1 (Regional: North)
Providence - #2 (Regional: North)
Creighton - #1 Regional: Midwest)
Butler - #2 (Regional: Midwest)
Xavier - #4 (Regional: Midwest)

I have to admit, I don't get how they decide "National" versus "Regional." There are many tiny little no-name colleges included under "National Universities" including Edgewood College in Madison, yet Nova, Providence, Butler, Creighton, and Xavier are all "Regional." WEIRD!

By the way, UW is tied with a number of schools at #41.

Many consider these rankings meaningless, but the reality is that many parents and school counselors read them and gain impressions of various schools. Superficial or not, valid or not, they do have an impact in the real world.

CaribouJim
09-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Wow - we must have had the same cereal this morning or something Phantom. Mine was Quaker Oats Oatmeal, Chobani Fat Free Yogurt, Whole Wheat Thomas English Muffin and OJ/Cranberry Juice. Yours?

Phantom Warrior
09-10-2013, 12:45 PM
A slice of leftover Papa John's pizza, a slice of chocolate cake, and a Mountain Dew. Just kidding. I hadn't eaten yet. (I got up at 9:30 and went straight to the computer (well, not quite "straight to...."

MUAlphaBangura
09-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Wow - we must have had the same cereal this morning or something Phantom. Mine was Quaker Oats Oatmeal, Chobani Fat Free Yogurt, Whole Wheat Thomas English Muffin and OJ/Cranberry Juice. Yours?

Sounds like the breakfast of a Broadway performer. Did you sleep in your half shirt too??

TheSultan
09-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Many consider these rankings meaningless, but the reality is that many parents and school counselors read them and gain impressions of various schools. Superficial or not, valid or not, they do have an impact in the real world.

How can something possibly be "superficial" and "have an impact in the real world?"

And regional v. national is where they draw their student base from. Marquette has a more national draw while Xavier is more regional.

Phantom Warrior
09-10-2013, 05:27 PM
And I suppose Edgewood College in Madison draws their students nationally? Do you honestly believe that? Look at other names on the "National" list.

How about Clark University, Binghamton University, Andrews University, Biola University, Maryville University, University of LaVerne, St. Mary's University of Minnesota, University of St. Thomas (Minnesota), Clarkson University, University of Illinois-Chicago, and, on of my favorites, St. John Fisher College?

Caribou explained the distinction in his thread. Still, it's hard for me to imagine that Nova, Providence, Butler, Xavier, and Creighton don't have enough doctoral programs to qualify as "National," while the above-named schools do.

MUMac
09-10-2013, 05:48 PM
How can something possibly be "superficial" and "have an impact in the real world?"

And regional v. national is where they draw their student base from. Marquette has a more national draw while Xavier is more regional.

Ever hear of The Kardasians? Snooki? Real Housewives of (fill in the blank)?

TheSultan
09-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Yeah that is pretty good parallel.

unclejohn
09-10-2013, 06:15 PM
And I suppose Edgewood College in Madison draws their students nationally? Do you honestly believe that? Look at other names on the "National" list.

How about Clark University, Binghamton University, Andrews University, Biola University, Maryville University, University of LaVerne, St. Mary's University of Minnesota, University of St. Thomas (Minnesota), Clarkson University, University of Illinois-Chicago, and, on of my favorites, St. John Fisher College?

Caribou explained the distinction in his thread. Still, it's hard for me to imagine that Nova, Providence, Butler, Xavier, and Creighton don't have enough doctoral programs to qualify as "National," while the above-named schools do.

Actually, a few of those do. Andrews is the university for Seventh-Day Adventists, so it draws them from all over. Biola is or at least was the Bible Institute of Los Angeles, so it has a reputation among evangelicals. I am not sure about the rest of these.

MayorBeluga
09-10-2013, 06:21 PM

Congrats Mac. You win the interwebs today for getting Hizzoner to literally burst out laughing whilst in the Cincinnati airport.