PDA

View Full Version : A Trend Revisited: Up-Transferring in college basketball

CaribouJim
09-04-2013, 06:01 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130903/college-basketball-transferring/index.html

Take a look at the first name in the first table. Also look at the first post in the Comment section.

2013UnleashTheBeast
09-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Kinda surprised Lockett was left off the grad transfer list. Went from an ASU team that never made the tournament during his tenure to an MU team that has now made it 8 consecutive years, was coming off b2b S16's, and went to the E8 his only year in the program. I get that in general he means mid-major to high major transfers, but he has Harrow going from NC St. to UK last year.

unclejohn
09-05-2013, 11:55 AM
I am surprised Thomas is not on the list. Going from South Dakota to Marquette is clearly a step up, and even if he did it as a walk-on, he has been on scholarship since.

There was not much discussion in the article of why this trend is happening. A little about scheduling and the graduate exception, but I expected more, like whether programs are consciously raiding each other. I suspect there is a fair amount of that going on.